Finisar

www.finisar.com
Profile Unclaimed

Good freedom with mostly friendly colleague, however the company is facing too much competition

Current Employee - Firmware Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Firmware Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Finisar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

relatively flexible working hour
    quite diverse background of employee
    some management are easy-going

Cons

salary is lower than
    some projects are not organized enough
    some department is short-staffed while some are just redundant, make it unfair for some employee

organize the work in a better way. need a systematic way to solve different problems

Good people, bad industry

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Finisar as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Smart co-workers.
    Good access to quality IT.
    Good work-life balance.

Cons

Unstable industry means poor job security.
    Projects can be boring or abruptly terminated due to lack of funding.

Don't assign engineers to pointless projects with no future.

Process Director

Current Employee - Process Director in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Process Director in Allen, TX

I have been working at Finisar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of the peers there are fairly easy to work with

Cons

The Directors there are fanatical. They find a red herring to chase and when their big blown out goose chase fails the blame all the subordinates. They will blame anyone to take the heat off themselves

Grow up

Worst kind of management - employees are mistreated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Finisar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing good to mention about this company. If you want to join, please please think 2x. It's mental torture.

Cons

Positions are moving to Asia; Management encourages employees to move to Asia, or leave the company. Managers hire new employees without informing the current, there's no communications, no employee reviews. Manager deliberately forgot to file Immigration papers on purpose to deter new hires.

Focus on development within your own country! Focus on employee relationship that will help your company grow, not politics. Clean house! Get rid of those managements that don't do the work.

The best company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Vice President, Global IT in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President, Global IT in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Finisar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment, Easily approachable top management, Company culture and value system, Very liberal stock compensation etc., among the top positives

Cons

Given that company has exposure to Telecom industry, which is cyclical in nature, do not expect salary raises during the down cycles. Liberal RSU's fairly compensate for any loss in the increment

Poor, Poor management!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA

I worked at Finisar

Pros

Ok place to work, when they have work to do. People who work in the assembly are are nice. Some engineers are nice.

Cons

False hope of having a long term job. Don't expect to work there more than a year. They move all products to other countries for assembly and testing. This company is exactly what is WRONG with American manufacturing and why we are failing as a country.

Very poor management. Our group would go days with our manger speaking to us. He would sit at his desk on his computer or be talking to someone in another department for hours, but he never addressed our group or said hello. If you are a buddy of your manager and socialize with him outside of work (ie buying him drinks), your job should be safe as they tend to keep their "favorite employees" around longer.They ask you to work overtime on the weekend and then when you go to work on Monday there is nothing to do and you just sit around for hours doing nothing. They waste a lot of money by doing this but they don't seem to care.

Treat people fairly and tell people the truth, please.

It was a good, somewhat boring part-time job.

Former Employee - Process Technician in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Process Technician in Champaign, IL

I worked at Finisar

Pros

I got a good pay for the type of work I was doing. The hours were very flexible and the people pretty friendly.

Cons

People in the office were usually pretty busy and there was not much time for interaction. I wish I would have found out earlier that would not need me any more.

The leadership was pretty good. The head engineer in my office was friendly. I got to meet only one person from higher management, so I can't really comment much about it.

very trying

I worked at Finisar

Pros

high tech company that is a leader

Cons

everyone mostly are backstabbers, outsourcing the business to asia

focus on the us employees

This is just my 2 cents: About Work Here on Production Floor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Finisar

Pros

It being super nice if you are stay long enough. As i know, one of the Vietnam guy making easy dollars here, more than 68hrs on time-sheet, but hanging around in mostly time.

GYM area

Flexible

Cons

Poor management, mess up everywhere

Performance review for mid-term managers and lead person in every 6 moths

Documentation control improvement

Hire some more of quality person

what a weird trip it has been

I worked at Finisar

Pros

collegial atmosphere among and between most workgroups. bright, and mostly idealistic, people who try harder because of competitive industry segment. flexible working hours. casual and informal work environment. attempt to create a "we are family" atmosphere.

Cons

senior management flounders around when creating a strategy, fails to get buy-in from everyone (when it even bothers to communicate strategy out to the rest of the company), executes poorly. average age of senior mgmt is fairly high, wonder what they've learned at prior positions. approach to work is blue-collar type of "git 'er done" mentality. approach to competitors is either "shoot 'em up" like a bunch of cowboys or throw money at them by buying them out; only to realize after the fact that the IP or market share purchased is worth mostly tiddly-winks. management is by personality instead of by principles. weird incestuous relationship between senior management team where they will fight tooth and nail among themselves, but gang up in a moment against anyone outside senior management team.

stop sweethearting money to senior management to buy their loyalty. loyalty that is bought cannot be kept when the money dries up. outsource processes as necessary, critical company IP has already been stolen many times over. with outsourcing you at least can zero in on the source of the leaks or thefts. get out of mainland china, they're a smug bunch of thieves. get out of malaysia, their greatest ambition in life is to match the smugness and thievery of the chinese operations. move cleanroom manufacturing to north-central thailand. either create operational processes or buy them off the shelf, simply accept the fact that we are weak on process-orientation. get off the "gee-whiz" high of super-cool finisar technology, we don't have an exclusive on the tech and never will.

Finisar Photos