Finish Line Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.1

Finish Line Chairman & CEO Glenn S. Lyon
Glenn S. Lyon

Pros
  • The employee discount was the best part about working for this company (in 21 reviews)

• Fun environment to work in, normally lots of younger people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is a mess, from store manager up to regional/district manager (in 19 reviews)

• There's tons of sales goals and weekly standards that must be met (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall a great place to grow. I was with the company for over 9 years.

Former Employee - store manager trainer  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - store manager trainer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Finish Line full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You have to have passion for the product and to servicing guest. Training is great if you can apply it and sometimes you will be on your own to learn and develop but if you can work on a team and lead you can have a fun career.

Cons

Expectations can become a little unrealistic when compared to the tools we are given and direction from higher management. Things are forever changing and some times that's good and some times that's not.

Invest, appreciate, and acknowledge your people

Sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Finish Line part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount, flexible hours, pretty relaxed enviornment

Cons

Deal with rude people at times

Improve upon sales challenges/rewards

Easy work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Finish Line part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best reason to work here is the shoe discount if you are into sneakers. There are very few dull moments always have something to do. Casual dress code and laid back environment is a plus.

Cons

The pay is not great based off commission for SA's. Sales are really competitive and have to compete with a lot of workers.

Allow employees to have own discount card like footlocker inc does.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome work environment

I have been working at Finish Line

Pros

Promote from within. You work with competent people. They train you well. Awesome if you enjoy talking to people. All about the customers. Contests throughout the year

Cons

They do not pay management anywhere near industry average. The company is all about the customer, so if you don't like people this is not for you. Work environment is extremely competitive

Just pay your management better if you plan on keeping your top guys

Good Tax Internship

Former Employee - Tax Intern  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Finish Line as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Finish Line has a very good internship program. This program consists of a 40-hour workweek that allows interns to get great experience in their field, plus Executive Sessions where interns get to hear career advice from top company executives, including the CEO, a group project where interns get to work together and other activities to bring the interns together. Everyone I dealt with at the company was friendly and helpful, though I am sure there are likely people who are not. The company also offers a wealth of benefits, including a fitness area, break room, discounts on Finish Line and some other products, etc.

Cons

The internship program provides a lot of opportunities, but it is not well-organized. Also, the Tax Internship is a summer program, so the focus is on Sales and Use Taxes, not Income or Property Taxes, so not a broad range of experience.

I was a sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chambersburg, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chambersburg, PA

I worked at Finish Line part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The discount was definitely the best part. The people I worked with at first were also a plus, but management got to some of their heads.

Cons

The training was tedious and took forever. We were pressured to push products onto people, including a sports illustrated subscription that was free at first but then started to charge you.

People really don't like it when we have to push products onto them.

High expectations for employees but it is not they are not rewarded for for hitting them.

Current Employee - Manager In Training
    Current Employee - Manager In Training

I have been working at Finish Line full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked for Foot Locker as well as Champs Sports and I can say far and away Finish Line does the most when it comes to taking care of the customer. Finish Line is heads and shoulders above the other chains when it comes to training employees.

Cons

While Finish Line does more to interact with employees they do little support them. While associates at all three big store make the same Finish Line management does not make enough. I made as much as an Assistant Manager with Champs as my Manager makes some months. Recently the company has also changed the bonus structure for for management which is not helping the situation. While the company means well senior management often over looks the store model, I could see Finish Line turning into Eastbay.com in the next ten years.

When you say managers get a chance to run the store like it is their business you should let them! We are constantly micro managed. If core 360 is never going to happen then the company should stop wasting money on and invest into its employees.

Great job, fun environment.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Finish Line part-time for more than a year

Pros

Training isn't just about something you can use in the store, it's also something you can use outside of the company. The company is very well structured. They want you to be about the people. It's not so much about the numbers like most companies, it's about being a well rounded company.

Cons

Some managers aren't consistent with rules. It's very hard to move up. Associates are overlooked.

Give more praise towards the associates. Without the associates, management wouldn't be getting the bonuses they do. We are overlooked at times. Especially those who repeatedly put up awesome numbers in the district.

It is a really laid back place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Finish Line part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the fact that this job is centered around shoes! It gives you really good benefits and discounts and the work attire is really relaxed

Cons

Not getting a lot of hours. Having to tell the customer you don't have the shoes they are looking for. Demoing was kind of awkward at first. Having to deal with rude customers

Getting more hot releases. I feel if there was better shoe release we would have more customers coming in our store. I also think it would be pretty cool to be able to buy different employee shirts/

Overall Great Company

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Florence, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Florence, AL

I worked at Finish Line part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, flexible hours, competitive pay.

Cons

High turnover rate for management in the time I was there. Three different managers in eight month time span.

None.

Worked for Finish Line? Contribute to the Community!