Finish Line

www.finishline.com

Finish Line Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014
Finish Line – US – “Store Front”

Finish Line – US – “Store Front”

Finish Line Chairman & CEO Glenn S. Lyon

Glenn S. Lyon

Pros
  • The employee discount was the best part about working for this company (in 21 reviews)

• Fun environment to work in, normally lots of younger people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is a mess, from store manager up to regional/district manager (in 19 reviews)

• There's tons of sales goals and weekly standards that must be met (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Rather focus on money rather then their employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFinish line has a good discount and good benefits for it's employees. It's a very fun atmosphere to work.

ConsHorrible leadership in mid-level management, If you are trying to be promoted they would rather get rid of you before they train you. The training programs suck across the board. The company is very cheap when it comes to producing good people.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on it's DM training program, too many managers have left the company because DM'S don't know how to train managers and they are afraid that they are going to replace the dm's.

I loved the Finish Line I was at, they were great people.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Fairview Heights, IL

ProsFun, customer oriented, family oriented. If you had a problem they solved it for you with no repercussions

ConsNone that I remember, it was all good. I would return to them if I ever wanted to.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat atmosphere, great sales experience.

ConsWage lower than should be

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There is never a finishline

Anonymous (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsFirst working their back in 07' you had ready access to almost any shoe and product in store at discount. The store was about team work and unity and working as a team. We used to be family like as a company. They used to promote within and celebrate employees who did exceptionally well. Great first job. Teaches you great customer service skills and great relationship building.

ConsUpper managment keeps changing philosophies and values. Out of 7 years I only received 4 raises. 2 of which where received within promotions as well as have two cuts in pay due to change in pay structure. Finishline also lost its value in quality of life. We were not a team anymore. We were a bunch puppets that are dispossable at a dime. It feels like walmart. We used to have pride for the company because they had pride in us.that has now changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to actually help your teams instead of having them jump through 10,000 hoops just for you to cut our pay.... again. Stay consistant in some aspects. Show appreciation to the staff. They will show it back.

Hard-working, but at what cost?

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Springfield, PA

ProsTeamwork/team-building, retail/customer service experience, gain knowledge of footwear/shoe brands.

ConsNeed for higher and higher profits, at the cost of lying and one-upping your co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure your employees have adequate footwear/brand knowledge BEFORE hiring them.

Okay job, but doesn't promote.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Plainfield, IN

ProsAbility to talk and get paid, Learn how a business runs, talkative co-workers, based on commission so hope for higher pay. Nice working environment.

ConsDead-end job. Not the best pay. No promotional opportunity. Too much work to attempt to get a raise. Some members are the best at what they do and don't get rewarded for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and promote from within instead of hiring thieves for hopeful managers. Give more hope for promotions for current staff. Stop hiring managers who don't know anything about the company or the policies. Promote more members on staff who deserve it.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Harper Woods, MI

ProsDiscount on shoes, and seeing new people everyday. I love helping people out, so at the time I thought this would be the perfect job for me. Another thing I enjoyed, was that we didn't get paid off commission. So that way if you didn't sell anything you would still get paid.

ConsPoor hours, and low income. If the income was a little higher, I probably wouldn't mind the low hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the base pay from 7.50

Learning Curve

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsShoe discount and getting to see new releases before the public.

Conspart time requirements are very high for what you are paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement stays put for too long so opportunity for growth is small.

Good first job, somewhat easy money.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsYou meet ALOT of people working in the sales business. The discount of 30% comes in handy when there is something you would like to purchase for yourself or someone else. You learn about shoes and how they are made, and how to deal with good and bad customers.

ConsTHE PAY IS AWFUL. I worked there for the fun of talking to people and selling shoes. The commission does not make any sense. They treat almost all stores equal so you get paid the same rate in a small store as someone in a bigger store. The problem is they expect you to sell as much as the people in the bigger store so most people in small stores end up making minimum wage!!

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider the pay. A lot of people quit because 5.25 an hour plus commission gets most employees to 7.25-7.45.

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsEasily, constant contact with people, learn basics to customer service and sales

Consdemanding, same routine over and over, lack of promotions or raises in our current economy

Advice to Senior Managementrespect and appreciate all the hard work the sales associates and assistant managers do for you, they are the reason for your raises and bonuses.

Worked for Finish Line? Contribute to the Community!