Finish Line

Updated December 17, 2014
3.1

Finish Line Chairman & CEO Glenn S. Lyon
Glenn S. Lyon

Pros
  • The employee discount was the best part about working for this company (in 25 reviews)

• fun environment and great discount, love all the associates i worked with (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management completely "old guard" out of touch clueless pompous and pontificant (in 22 reviews)

• Must be willing to relocate in order to move up, work life balance (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall a great place to grow. I was with the company for over 9 years.

Former Employee - Store Manager Trainer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager Trainer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Finish Line full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You have to have passion for the product and to servicing guest. Training is great if you can apply it and sometimes you will be on your own to learn and develop but if you can work on a team and lead you can have a fun career.

Cons

Expectations can become a little unrealistic when compared to the tools we are given and direction from higher management. Things are forever changing and some times that's good and some times that's not.

Invest, appreciate, and acknowledge your people

Easy work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Finish Line part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work here is the shoe discount if you are into sneakers. There are very few dull moments always have something to do. Casual dress code and laid back environment is a plus.

Cons

The pay is not great based off commission for SA's. Sales are really competitive and have to compete with a lot of workers.

Allow employees to have own discount card like footlocker inc does.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Finish Line part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount, flexible hours, pretty relaxed enviornment

Cons

Deal with rude people at times

Improve upon sales challenges/rewards

Not worth it.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Olympia, WA

I have been working at Finish Line part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Decent co-workers
    You get to work alone a lot, if you're like me and like that.

Cons

I work for the Finish Line, Macy's stores, and it's a joke.
    No hours to give.
    Working by yourself can get lonely
    We never have any of the sizes in the shoes anyone wants to buy.
    Macy's doesn't seem to act like they want us there, so I don't see why we bother.
    We are in Macy's, take their credit cards, but not their coupons. It' SO FUN to tell hundreds of customers that.
    We never have any coupons or discounts for our customers.
    Our goals are ridiculous.
    Goals are individualized which doesn't help teams develop and work together.
    We are punished for customers not buying accessories.
    We are expected to be pushy and force products onto customers.
    Responded to an ad for full-time, "manager-in-training" : turns out every one is a "manager-in-training", just a fancy word for sales associate. Also, only get maybe 10 hours a week if I'm lucky.

For one, maybe instead of having individual goals, have store goals. Enforcing the "we" concept for your business, instead of individuals being called out and written up. For two, I'd rather not get the extra commission, if you would change the policy to that. Send out coupons, do promos. Buy a sofsole and get 5%, 10%, $5 off your shoe purchase. I mean, it's ridiculous. Keep stores stocked! I've lost SO MANY sales because we don't have their size. I've had so many people put down an extra shoe, or even all their considered purchases because we don't accept coupons. Don't punish employees for not making the sales. They try really hard, but we can't force people to buy extras. Be honest about the jobs you're advertising. If you had, I would have never applied.

I was a sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chambersburg, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chambersburg, PA

I worked at Finish Line part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount was definitely the best part. The people I worked with at first were also a plus, but management got to some of their heads.

Cons

The training was tedious and took forever. We were pressured to push products onto people, including a sports illustrated subscription that was free at first but then started to charge you.

People really don't like it when we have to push products onto them.

Great job, fun environment.

Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Finish Line part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training isn't just about something you can use in the store, it's also something you can use outside of the company. The company is very well structured. They want you to be about the people. It's not so much about the numbers like most companies, it's about being a well rounded company.

Cons

Some managers aren't consistent with rules. It's very hard to move up. Associates are overlooked.

Give more praise towards the associates. Without the associates, management wouldn't be getting the bonuses they do. We are overlooked at times. Especially those who repeatedly put up awesome numbers in the district.

Awesome work environment

I have been working at Finish Line

Pros

Promote from within. You work with competent people. They train you well. Awesome if you enjoy talking to people. All about the customers. Contests throughout the year

Cons

They do not pay management anywhere near industry average. The company is all about the customer, so if you don't like people this is not for you. Work environment is extremely competitive

Just pay your management better if you plan on keeping your top guys

Good Tax Internship

Former Employee - Tax Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Finish Line as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Finish Line has a very good internship program. This program consists of a 40-hour workweek that allows interns to get great experience in their field, plus Executive Sessions where interns get to hear career advice from top company executives, including the CEO, a group project where interns get to work together and other activities to bring the interns together. Everyone I dealt with at the company was friendly and helpful, though I am sure there are likely people who are not. The company also offers a wealth of benefits, including a fitness area, break room, discounts on Finish Line and some other products, etc.

Cons

The internship program provides a lot of opportunities, but it is not well-organized. Also, the Tax Internship is a summer program, so the focus is on Sales and Use Taxes, not Income or Property Taxes, so not a broad range of experience.

It is a really laid back place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Finish Line part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the fact that this job is centered around shoes! It gives you really good benefits and discounts and the work attire is really relaxed

Cons

Not getting a lot of hours. Having to tell the customer you don't have the shoes they are looking for. Demoing was kind of awkward at first. Having to deal with rude customers

Getting more hot releases. I feel if there was better shoe release we would have more customers coming in our store. I also think it would be pretty cool to be able to buy different employee shirts/

Overall Great Company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Florence, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Florence, AL

I worked at Finish Line part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, flexible hours, competitive pay.

Cons

High turnover rate for management in the time I was there. Three different managers in eight month time span.

None.