Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.5

Chris and Stuart Freedman

Owners seem like nice people and there are several chiefs but no real leader you want to follow.

I have been working at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Pros

Discounts on product for those making jewelry gifts. Hasn't been layoffs until this year.

Cons

Told to work hard so more people aren't let go. Motivating by fear isn't good. Family members working here are an issue.

Terrible,way too many chiefs,not enough Indians.Micro managed just sad.

I worked at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Pros

Really none, I will say their warehouse and facility is clean and equipment is state of the art, but I guess with all that expense leads to low wages.

Cons

A ridiculous amount of chiefs not enough Indians. Fear and intimidation tactics. I've never seen so many unhappy employees or morel.. All I can say is what comes around goes around. Does anyone have a personality anymore??? Oh wait u work at fmg?

Owners need to uproot all current management and start fresh if they want to succeed,

Not a good company to work for.

I have been working at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Pros

No pros other than it's a paycheck.

Cons

Terrible micro managers and very controlling.

Trust your employees and take their input seriously.

Interesting.

I worked at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, they are like family.
    Decent benefits.

Cons

Ownership is uninterested in keeping current and only wants to do what benefits them.
    Pay is ridiculously low, and raises are a bad word. Raises only happen if you're promoted, which isn't even an option in many positions.
    Much of management consists of friends and family, regardless of whether they're actually qualified or good at the position.

Listen to your employees, many are highly educated, very well versed in their job field, and are an asset to your company you're not tapping. Compensate your employees adequately.

Great Atmosphere, great family feel.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grants Pass, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grants Pass, OR

I worked at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professional people, great atmosphere, tons of employee perks (too many to list), and solid benefits package including PTO, Health/Vision/Dental, 401(k).

Cons

Upper management seems to want more of a hand in the middle-workings of everything. It makes it difficult to respond to industry norms in a timely fashion.

Allow employees to initiate and/or test quick changes and ideas freely. Take out the "We've been doing it like this for a long time" aspect and move forward - or get left behind.

Company has done best to keep Employees happy and whole.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grants Pass, OR

I have been working at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employee appreciation days monthly, Employee picnics, Holiday Party, Free Holiday Gift, Gift Card for Thanksgiving, Matching 401K, Generous paid time off after the first 90 days and goes up every year there after, Full Paid Health benefits, Seed Fund to help struggling employees, Monthly company buys every department lunch, Company paid for training if requested, Extra paid days for holidays and other programs like company pays 80% of costco membership fee's. I can not believe the reviews I have read on this site. It is obvious these people have not worked for any credible company before this. Sad to see a company like this get rated lowely by people who have been let go or didn't get everything their way. Fire Mountain is a good company if you are a professional who is willing to work hard and put some effort forward.

Cons

Pay increases are unkown until they happen. Hours in some departments are directly effected by order volume. Many entry level jobs, have to work hard to move up. Some departments have management who have many tasks and not much time for the one on one that is sometimes needed.

Keep doing what you are doing. Work is hard and during a economic down time like we are seeing, any company that cares about it's employees have to make tough decisions. Keep remembering that a happy employee makes a happy customer. It can sometimes look like people get special treatment and if you aren't proactive about these concerns they can build up until non-truths become truths to people. Spread out your project approval process so that more people can approve things and keep the ball rolling. You have done an amazing job starting your company in a garage then having it become what it is today, so keep up whatever you have done to get here and I hope I am along for the ride.

Great entry level position to gain stepping stone in career advancement

I worked at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads full-time

Pros

--Health benefits for employees
    --Steady pay checks that don't bounce
    --1/2ct. Diamond after 10 years
    --Many departments to choose from and jobs to suit many individual talents--great for those starting a career and trying to find where they fit best.

Cons

--Decision-making most often seems to be made on feeling/whim/mood of one or two, rather than fact/study/knowledge of trends and market as a whole
    --under appreciation of education and experience of employees
    --genuine appreciation not given to individual employees for jobs well done
    --lack of empowerment of employees to do their given jobs which causes slow turnarounds for projects

--Keep an open mind to suggestions.
    --Don't take it personally when an employee moves on to another career opportunity because it's the best fit for them as an individual and their career growth.
    --Show appreciation to the personnel supporting you. They are the ones making everything happen while you're in meetings making decisions. Give them some credit...a few words and a pay raise here and there for a job well done goes a long ways.

Large company, large problems...if you're lucky you won't get sucked in

Current Employee - Web Developer in Grants Pass, OR
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Grants Pass, OR

I have been working at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Provide work breaks, insurance (for employees only), dutch bros coupons, pats on the back, desk fans. There are often openings, as employees get wise and move on. Seriously the turnover rates in departments are so high, I gave up trying to learn people's names.

Cons

Supervisors bicker and backbite all the time. I was absolutely amazed to witness and hear in all my years there so much gossip and rudeness. If you miss high school, FMG is the place for you. Getting projects done took way too long because of a horrible network system between departments and the aggressiveness of owners family members to make a final decision. The owners must realize that running a department is much different than running a retail store. Too many leads and "supervisors" are out of touch with actual corporate workings and business ethics.

Can your clan, and keep outsourcing for people who actually know how to run departments, make money and run a business properly. The bad attitudes and unnecessary pressure is put on employees simply trying to work full time and pay their personal bills. We work for FMG, but sorry we're not your actual family, you don't own us. I don't know what was worse going through my divorce or working at Fire Mountain, both stressful, time consuming and not financially worth it.

Great company to work for in the Grants Pass area

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grants Pass, OR

Pros

The owners are invested in the technology, constant process improvement, and there are lots of opportunities to be recognized. Good training. Great place for growing your technology skillset. Good benefits.

Cons

PTO is lean especially in the first year.

A political minefield

Current Employee - Professional in Grants Pass, OR
    Current Employee - Professional in Grants Pass, OR

I have been working at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company thrives by keeping their wages low, and in the current economic climate where full-time work is difficult to come by, this business-model is semi-successful. However, employee turnover is increasing as the economy slowly improves. Most employees outside of top management are looking to move on.

Cons

Again, wages are low - even for their professional positions, and this company does not seem to value retention of quality professionals. Management has a mindset that they can always find replacement employees, and so far, this mindset appears to be working. However, just in the last month a staggering number of professionals have resigned.

It has been documented over and again that it is far more economically advantageous for a company to retain quality employees rather than having to continually recruit and train new talent. Additionally, this company is micromanaged by the owners and is therefore slow to respond to changing market conditions.