FireEye

Updated January 28, 2015
4.2

FireEye Chairman of the Board and CEO David DeWalt
David DeWalt

Pros
  • Free lunch everyday and breakfast on some days of the week (in 13 reviews)

• Good stable cutting edge technology to work with (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Stocks low, no 401k matching, money is tight (in 5 reviews)

• Long hours and high work output are expected of you (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Former Employee - Software Engineer(Agent Developer) in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer(Agent Developer) in Reston, VA

I worked at FireEye as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I loved my team, and the projects I got. My manager and mentor were patient and let me work through the projects at my own pace as well as giving me tips to improve upon. Each time I moved on, I was given a set of projects to choose from. At first I took what they recommended, and as I got used to the work, I chose my own. The project terms were short, from couple hours to couple weeks, which I appreciated. I was gien one stand-alone porject (from developing to end), a platform adjustment project, and bunch of format switching bugs. I enjoyed the team environment as well. Nerg wars!

Cons

The HR and University Relations team coul dhave worked more smoothly.Some people had to wait for their company laptops for several days. Others had issues with paychecks, housings, taxes, and deadlines. It was their first time doing a company-side internship program, and their inexperience was easily exposed.
    Once they tried to get interns on my branch (all engineering students and very busy workers) to help out as volunteer workers for a campaign started by another intern (non-engineering) from a different branch. I believe that they did not know how hardworking the interns were: they wanted us to rotationally volunteer our lunch time (supposedly an hour) to promote the campaign, but the truth was none of us had an hour long lunch break. We either ate speedily or worked while we ate. Our mentors were unaware of the UR team's announcement, so there must have been some absence of communication between the managers&mentors and UR team.

FireEye Response

Jan 12, 2015Talent Acquisition Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience on Glassdoor. We are pleased to hear your internship was successful. With each intern season we continue to make improvements and we will take your suggestions ... More

Great work culture, amazing employees, quality resources available

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Milpitas, CA

I worked at FireEye as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

A very fast growing company with a bright future. Everyone is very happy and it's a great place to be. A healthy work life balance.

Cons

Offices are physically separated so when meeting with another team, it takes awhile to get there.

Awesome company.

I have been working at FireEye

Pros

Very innovative technology.
    People deeply care about the technology and work hard.

Cons

No 401k match, Growing pains.

Keep doing what you are doing.

A thrilling intern experience mirrored with lots of potential to learn.

I worked at FireEye

Pros

Making friends in the workplace was so easy, building value was exciting and fast and the tech is absolute boss. Stay fresh.

Cons

The interning process ran very late. Was not sure if I would be able to work here until last minute. I'm glad I chose to turn down my other offers.

Keep doing what your doing.

FireEye, Inc. is a fantastic employee-friendly company in the heart of the Silicon Valley.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer - RFP/RFI/Bid Response in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer - RFP/RFI/Bid Response in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at FireEye as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

From the heirarchal chain of command, every employee I've met genuinely buys into the synergy, 'team-first', mentality. This is why FireEye, Inc. has become a prominent cyber security firm in the world.

Cons

The company still has a start-up structure so there are growing pains but not too difficult to overcome.

Too much internal growth without the necessary market needs to back up

Former Employee - Account Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at FireEye full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits package, really cool technology.

Cons

Lack of communication and support from management team. Information sharing is not their strong suit, often you hear things in the halls first that personally impact you first then hearing it from your management. Customer issues are becoming more and more frequent and not being addressed in a timely manner.. Products are good, but lots of the RD and PM team have either left on their own or were let go. Product road map has been suffering because it. Lastly, the employee moral is really bad, the executive team was able to sell shares when employees weren't allowed to do it, they were able to sell off stock at the $80+ mark, which caused the market to downgrade FEYE stock, therefore the employees were only able to sell their stocks at a fraction in the $25-28 range.

Practice better communication especially within middle management. Work on the moral

Long ridiculous hours no work/life balance - STEER CLEAR!

Current Employee - Middle Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FireEye

Pros

What pros? Only one is if you just want a tiny paycheck this is the place. About it. This joint is NOT for the best and brightest.

Cons

This company is an absolute joke! Don't listen to any of those positive comments as most are interns and have are new to the workforce. The reason why they like interns is they don't want to pay their most experienced people. Most leave within 1-3 years typical burn and churn. No 401K matching and the management is disgustingly political. They give you a low salary and stock options that is basically worthless because you can't sell them at a high point. Most leave before they get the chance of selling them and usually if they do at a loss. No loyalty, no recognition for hard work.

Sell the damn company which you probably will so they can clean house from all the deadwood.

Place Rocks

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at FireEye full-time (less than a year)

Pros

1) Great healthcare
    2) average ESPP
    3) above average vacation/sick policies
    4) competitive salary
    5) Stock options generous
    6) food everywhere, lunches snacks out the ying yang - thou don't base career on this

Cons

401k!!! HELLLLOOOO, we all gotta retire sometime. Add a freaking match and you got a serious benefit.

Watch the morale. The morale goes with the stock price if left unchecked.

Everyday, you're experiencing something new.

I have been working at FireEye full-time

Pros

Amazing tech to work with.
    Benefits are decent. Comparable to what's in the market. They do need to start matching, though.
    Intelligent colleagues who all have some type of personality. No dull folks, here.
    Honorable Mission against cyber attacks.

Cons

Do not practice agile, enough.
    401K match not offered, yet.
    Some employees just starting a family needs to have more flexibility (i.e: More leeway to work remotely).
    No free lunches daily, unlike the folks at Milpitas.

Practice agile MORE. Enough of this hybrid nonsense. Apparently, it's not really working. Engineering management need better coordination between Dev and QA. Other than that, keep doing what you're doing so far. Future outlook is bright.

Great growing company

Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at FireEye full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Growing company, pay is good, stock has upside.
    People are very supportive and bright. Like someone said you can network for the rest of your career.
    Exciting technology, keeps your skills up to date.
    Free food and snacks

Cons

No 401k match currently, hopefully that will change.
    Open cubes mean less privacy