FireHost Reviews

1. Featured Review

Competent co-workers - Bright Future - Faith in leadership

Current Employee - Sales in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Richardson, TX

I have been working at FireHost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FireHost is more of an adventure every day than it is a job - I don't stop at 5:00, I keep working because I'm excited to contribute and I see how my contribution creates progress for the business. Compensation is competitive with the market, benefits are upgraded every year. Leadership consistently makes the right choices to continue improving value for the customers, and compensation for the employees. The people that I work with on a daily basis are hungry and competent - this is not like working with the living dead - people are excited to be here. I think things are more fair here than at other companies that I have been a part of - there's no boys club or executive clique, promotion is based on talent, effort and results - not seniority or who you know. I have a lot of faith that the senior management is honest and puts thought and care when considering how the company treats employees. I love to come to work everyday. The amount of time and effort Senior management expends communicating to the employees is unmatched - company goals are very clear, how we are attaining those goals is clear, and mistakes get fixed.

Cons

You have to manage your own work-life balance, its an exciting place to work and its a common mistake to over commit your own time - but that is not demanded. Things change, a lot, and that can be uncomfortable - even scary - if you can't handle a lot of change, it can be a stressful place to work. Most of the big issues I saw with the business 9 months ago from an employee's perspective have been fixed or I can see being fixed in the future. No workplace is perfect - but I believe FireHost will always continue to improve. You have to be brave to succeed here.

Advice to Management

Company wide incentives - some of our biggest contributors don't see a consistent reward for their extra effort.

FireHost Response

Oct 31, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for all you are doing to help us build our company. Also, thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. I think your perspective matches the way i see our company. We work hard to ... More

Refreshing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Pros

Live it - breathe it - so refreshing to have a company not just post values on a wall but embrace those values every minute of every day. No bureaucracy here - people work together and really try to provide solutions and take accountability. If you want to work here be ready to be empowered.

Cons

Can't find any yet - well, maybe the Dallas traffic :) Can't wait until 75 is finished!

Interesting Work Culture

I have been working at FireHost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, love interacting.

Cons

Apprehensive to bring people on

Company has lost it's way and has Founder-itis

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Richardson, TX

I worked at FireHost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible group of employees who work hard and play hard together.

Cons

Loss of recent senior and reverting back to Founder and original non-operating experience executives with no Board support has this company going backwards in so many ways. The company value of leave your Ego at the door is a farce as the Founder and CEO has an ego that transcends reality and business experience, his ego is the issue from back office to front office.

Advice to Management

Sell the company or allow experienced executives to manage and not try to return to 2013 management team as that market you thrived in with PPC spend is over, so says AWS and even Fireeye if you think you can move to Security alone, the Compliance play was a bomb and impacted growth, key contributors who have since left and most importantly mission/purpose of company.

6. Fun Environment with Great People

Current Employee - Linux Support Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Support Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at FireHost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Firehost has this employee-centered culture, that encourages employees to think and also lends itself towards teamwork. I work with a team of really smart engineers, who are also pretty damn good teachers. Management does a great job of empowering engineers without "Monday morning quarterbacking" decisions. Training is also high priority, which is not common to see.

Cons

Not much to add here, basic growing pains: Internal tools don't always work perfectly, and of course some interdepartmental communication is not perfect, however I would say at Firehost it's better than most other places.

Advice to Management

Nothing to add here. Keep doing your thing Management, You be you.

7. Linux Engineer

I have been working at FireHost full-time

Pros

Great company, really great leadership and work environment.

Cons

Honestly not too much to say here. Only real issues I can see is the communication between departments could probably use some tender loving care.

8. Terrible mistake coming here

I have been working at FireHost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch. Gimmick, but it keeps me full.

Cons

Constant turnover. Each day is an episode of Game of Thrones. We joke that me might as well just spin a wheel to see who gets canned next. This company is adrift, and if we hit land we'll be lucky. And even then, it might be land with hostile natives. Also, lots of nepotism and favoritism from upper management and folks who've been here for years. They're entrenched and while they should be rewarded, they're in over their heads at this point if they wish to compete in the marketplace. Bottom line: unless you're unemployed or about to be, don't leave a solid job or company for this place. It's a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

These guys are beyond repair. Or are we talking about the senior management that's been dismissed?

9. Good so far!

Current Employee - Technical Engineer L1
    Current Employee - Technical Engineer L1

I have been working at FireHost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, catered lunch, great benefits.

Cons

Possibility to advance is a little lacking.

Red Weddings....

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at FireHost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My immediate manager was unbelievably supportive. Free lunches. That's about it.

Cons

I would first like to say that I am not a vindictive person. I guess that is why it's taken me over three months to write this review. The sole reason I am writing this is so others have a heads up. I was brought on board at FireHost in January with the expectations that if I performed I had a home. Three months later I was let go (fired), along with something like 6 others (one poor gal after only two weeks there). During the exit interview the HR lady told us that layoff had nothing to do with our performance. I should have seen the writing on the wall when both the CEO and VP of Sales quit a month before. All I am trying to say is look past the fancy offices and free lunches, they will pull those things out from under you at the drop of a hat and not blink. Before you leave the interview ask your interviewee about their annual Red Weddings and if you will be at the event next year (reference Game of Thrones).

Advice to Management

A great product only goes so far; the people behind it take it the distance, and not just the 20 people who help get it out of a garage.

Sr. Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at FireHost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic environment where management is willing to make changes and improve the business as it scales. Free lunches, fun office environment with stand up desks and people wizzing by on razors. Lots of communication to the company from management lately. I've learned a ton about security here.. lots of "lunch and learns".

Cons

Some things just can't get here fast enough - like our new front/back portal...

Advice to Management

Throw as many resources to the new portal and automation tools as possible.

RSS Feed </> Embed