FireHost

Updated March 4, 2015
Updated March 4, 2015
4.2

Jim Lewandowski

The place to be for a career! I am thrilled to be a part of such a great team of people.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Richardson, TX

I have been working at FireHost full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture is amazing. People say hello, smile, and are genuinely happy to be there! Its work hard play hard! Fun work environment!~

Cons

Its fast paced and it either motivates you or it burns you. I love it!

Keep it up!~ The leadership is key to happy workers and growth

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at FireHost full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch. Benefits are great compared to a lot of other companies out there but not quite on the level of bay area tech companies.

Great culture and people to work with. You will never be bored, there are always new and exciting things to work on.

Cons

Work/Life balance. Be prepared to work crazy hours.

Automation, Automation, Automation.

Good SMB to work for if your familar with the hosting world

I worked at FireHost

Pros

Friendly atmosphere and great corporate culture.

Cons

Could use better work life balance and less siloing of teams.

FireHost is THE place to work!

Current Employee - Learning and Development in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Learning and Development in Richardson, TX

I have been working at FireHost full-time (less than a year)

Pros

FireHost is a fast-paced, HIGH energy, and intense place to work. Everyone comes to the table with 100% willingness to go above and beyond the call of duty. FireHost rewards hard work with daily catered lunches, fun events, and transparency in communication. The leaders are steering the business in the right direction. I LOVE my work, but I could do it anywhere. I am SO glad FireHost chose me. My drive to work everyday is long, and a total JOY. The people, work, and future are totally worth it!

Cons

You either LOVE it or you don't. You will either THRIVE or fail. It is all up to YOU. If you are willing to give your all; you will succeed.

Feb 4, 2015CEO

Thank you for the review and thank you for working at FireHost. Your spirit and commitment is exactly what we need to continue to build a great company. Your right to say that our work is hard and ... More

Great people; poor tools

Current Employee - Support Engineer
    Current Employee - Support Engineer

I have been working at FireHost full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people at FireHost are great. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly, and there's a sense of cameraderie.
    The free lunches every day are great, too.
    The work isn't overwhelming, and having 24x7 coverage means you can hand an issue off to the next shift instead of getting stuck working late.

Cons

Many of the tools that support the organization are broken or have problems. The infrastructure is not as stable as it should be.
    Tasks that should be completely automated, like provisioning new servers or doing restores, instead are manual affairs that take hours.

Stop trying to grow the company. Slow down, and spend more time and effort building the tools and infrastructure out in a way that will make it easy for the company to grow moving forward.

Get [Chris] Drake to stop telling the new hires all about how FireHost employees are family and the company cares for them and all--or treat your employees better, and don't fire them without reviewing their performance with them and giving them chances to change and improve. The firings as of late especially have put people on edge, and are bringing down company morale.

Feb 4, 2015CEO

Thank you for taking time to write a response. We are working hard to improve our tools and to give our customers more control over their environment. There are many improvements we would all like ... More

The BEST place I have ever worked!!

I have been working at FireHost full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture and environment at FireHost are top notch. This is the best place that I have ever worked by a long shot! The senior leadership have a great vision and it is a lot of fun being a part of such a rapidly growing company! I would definitely recommend if you like to work hard and be compensated for the work that you put in!

Compensation is more than fair, and the benefits are amazing! Did I mention they cater lunch in everyday? Awesome perks and great vibe everyday! Everybody works hard and the growth of the company is a testament to that!

Cons

There are no cons that I have come across personally. If you come in and work hard then you will love it here! If you don't like to work hard or you like to do the bare minimum then you will hate it here!

Benefits are awesome! Catered lunch is great! The transparency of the organization is very motivating and it helps the employees take ownership of the role. Keep up the great work!

Feb 4, 2015CEO

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback and thank you for working hard to make our company great. I could not agree more with the comments you have shared. In particular these sentences ... More

Attitude of Gratitude

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at FireHost full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Culture, colleagues, compensation, company perks, start-up, developmental training, managerial opportunities, personal time off, benefits (medical, retirement, etc.) and much more. Expect to have an attitude of gratitude, act as an owner, and give your best everyday.

Cons

Not available. FireHost has made a substantial investment, and I tell all my friends and colleagues about the invaluable opportunities.

Continue to share the vision and expected goals/growth. Invest in developmental training, and managerial opportunities.

Feb 4, 2015CEO

Thank you for your comments and thank you for all you are doing to help us build this great company. We have high standards to be one of the best places to work. We mean it and we need great people ... More

Competent co-workers - Bright Future - Faith in leadership

I have been working at FireHost full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

FireHost is more of an adventure every day than it is a job - I don't stop at 5:00, I keep working because I'm excited to contribute and I see how my contribution creates progress for the business. Compensation is competitive with the market, benefits are upgraded every year. Leadership consistently makes the right choices to continue improving value for the customers, and compensation for the employees. The people that I work with on a daily basis are hungry and competent - this is not like working with the living dead - people are excited to be here. I think things are more fair here than at other companies that I have been a part of - there's no boys club or executive clique, promotion is based on talent, effort and results - not seniority or who you know. I have a lot of faith that the senior management is honest and puts thought and care when considering how the company treats employees. I love to come to work everyday. The amount of time and effort Senior management expends communicating to the employees is unmatched - company goals are very clear, how we are attaining those goals is clear, and mistakes get fixed.

Cons

You have to manage your own work-life balance, its an exciting place to work and its a common mistake to over commit your own time - but that is not demanded. Things change, a lot, and that can be uncomfortable - even scary - if you can't handle a lot of change, it can be a stressful place to work. Most of the big issues I saw with the business 9 months ago from an employee's perspective have been fixed or I can see being fixed in the future. No workplace is perfect - but I believe FireHost will always continue to improve. You have to be brave to succeed here.

Company wide incentives - some of our biggest contributors don't see a consistent reward for their extra effort.

Oct 31, 2014CEO

Thank you for all you are doing to help us build our company. Also, thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. I think your perspective matches the way i see our company. We work hard to ... More

Great company. Fast growing, challenging and exciting

I have been working at FireHost full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's rare when you can honestly say you look forward to work each day. Sure, there are absolutely days that test this, but that statement almost always holds true. I think FireHost is that once in a career company and something I probably wont find again anytime soon.

We work in a very fast pace, challenging, high growth environment. I think for some, this type of environment can be difficult and at times overwhelming. To me, this is exciting and creates friendly competition within the team(s) that drives us to continually over achieve targets. Compensation is good, so meeting or exceeding targets is good.

SLT has stepped up on L&D and training. Investments into people is a big initiative and great to see.

In my mind, the Pros outweigh the very few cons. As you spend more time with a company, you can always find something to complain about, if you try and find it. FireHost is a great company to apart of.

Cons

Like others, the work life balance at times is rough. I've spent many vacations checking emails and attending conference calls. This is probably more of a personal problem, because no one tells me I have to do that and I choose to stay connected.

SLT seems to be making great strides towards the company goals. The hard work and effort is appreciated.

Oct 31, 2014CEO

Thanks for providing this review and thank you for all your hard work to help us build a great company. I think your thoughts represent the way i feel about our company as well. We will continue ... More

Great place for a career!

I have been working at FireHost full-time

Pros

culture and values, free lunches, compensation, leadership is phenomenal

Cons

work life balance is difficult, time off could be better (no holidays)

Oct 28, 2014CEO

Thank you for taking time to provide the feedback. and also thanks for all you are doing to help us build this great company. The PTO policy is an area we are currently working on to help with the ... More