Firebirds Wood Fired Grill

Great company, good management

Former Employee - Server in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Server in Richmond, VA

I worked at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill

Pros

Good coworkers, good managers, decent money

Cons

no growth, long hours with no breaks

Good Job

Current Employee - Guest Assistant in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Guest Assistant in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Good income
    -Great hours
    -Fine dining
    -Learn a lot about examining small details

Cons

-Not a lot of room to advance

-Ask who is willing to train and who doesn't want to train new comers
    -Be more strict about Pre-busing for servers

Great food, atmosphere and co-workers, management is hit or miss.

Former Employee - Server in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Server in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill (more than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working here is that it really does become a family environment. Working for this company will give you many great friends during and after employment. Also, you can make money if you get the right shifts.

Cons

Making money as a server in this restaurant is not consistent. It could be good or bad depending on the time of year, or even the day.

Please do not overstaff the restaurant on days it is not busy so that people are able to make money.

Business is great; Pay is not

I worked at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill (less than a year)

Pros

- There's never a dull moment since business is always booming for the most part.
    - Fun co-workers
    - Co-workers work together and helped make sure I was trained on what to do.

Cons

- The only restaurant I've ever known to not allow a shift meal for the cooks.
    - Work performance and experience mean nothing in regards to how many hours you are given.
    - Pay is very inadequate, especially for what is asked of you. You'll definitely need a second job to survive.
    - There was no orientation to the company. I had to ask my co-workers whatever I needed to know (pay day, meal policies, etc.).

Your employees should be better taken care of for the amount of work that is required of them.

Another corporate restaurant

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fairly good about getting time off (its easy because they are always overstaffed)
    Management isn't lazy
    Food is prepared there so its fresh
    Expansive menu so almost any guest can come and enjoy (easy sells)

Cons

Their corporate policy is horrendous and does not allow for anyone to make money (specifically the tip-based staff)
    They constantly show they do not care about their employees by over staffing and not allowing you to purchase food (even at full price) unless at certain times.
    General greediness of upper level management lets employee's tips suffer.

If you want quality servers, bussers, bartenders (even chefs/cooks) then stop screwing them at every chance and allow them to make a decent living.

Good for first time servers who don't NEED to pay bills.

I have been working at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill

Pros

Good training, good food ( you are very limited to what and when you can order as an employee) and good atmosphere.

Cons

Do not expect to make more than $100 for your first 3-5 months, specially if you're a female and are schedule for their sexist shifts.

Most of your employees are not happy and it affects them personally.

A honest review.

Current Employee - GA/Server in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - GA/Server in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management is good, I have no complaints on their part. They are very dedicated to their work at the location I was at. You will see the managers clearing tables, run food, and all the good things you want to see in the management staff that helps out. Scheduling has been fair, if there's days you can't work, as long as you request it, then you will have it off. In terms of advancing in the company, there's a good chance to do so as long as you show your ready and willing.

Food is pretty good, fair pricing for the quality of it. I would recommend it to people.

Job is easy to do, and very good for part time, not sure about full time....

Cons

Phase 1
    Now here's the big impact on my part. We work to earn money right? Of course!! But in this scenario, how does having 50+ servers in a restaurant, getting 2-3 table sections equal to making money?? Of course not !! There's no way. How they see it is, the more staff on the floor, the more we can take care of the guests, which I totally understand, but if you're sacrificing table counts to the servers, they won't be making money. Sometimes I see a server with just 3 tables at the end of the night after a 5 hour shift...yea...not a good call.

As for GA and Hostess positions... Hostess gets paid (in my location) minimum tip wage, with a "1"% tip from server.. YEA 1% that's like....terrible!! They are trying to save labor cost by having the hostess get minimum tip wage instead of regular state wage, slick move, very slick..... GA (Guest assistants) are people who help the guests get what they need, such as refills, bread, clear the table, and reset the tables. Sounds easy enough, but man, totally not worth it. GA gets a whopping "2"% from the servers..2%!! For someone who's getting tip wage, and needs tip to survive just like the servers...that 2% is less than minimum wage if you calculate it. For example.... 1 server makes $100 that night, he/she tips out 2% of her sale tips to the GAs, but the GAs tips are pooled in together, so that 2% of $100 is $2...split between several GAs that are working that shift, you can imagine the money they get....yea...sometimes I see their faces with their $10-$18 tips that crazy weekend nights.

There were weeks, where after working 5 shifts there, I come home that week with less than $35 tips. It's just isn't enough to make a living.

Phase 2
    So normally a company would give you discounts when you come in to eat right? You know, 15% off, maybe 20%? some places 50% off. But Firebird does not give employee discount at all !! Not only do they not give employee discounts, you can't even eat there after you work. You have to literally, go home, change, wait 2 hours, then come back to the restaurant if you want to eat on the day you work. Seriously...what are they smoking?!?!

This place also does not cater towards militants or elderly people. You have no discounts on the menu for the elderly, and you do not have discounts for military staff. I feel the latter part to be very disheartening.

There's not much advice to the management aside from giving the good servers bigger sections that can handle it. Most of the gripes I have is how the Corporate policy is, which management can't really do much about. It's all on the top dogs of the chain.

It was a relatively easy place to work as a server if you have served before, but not potential to make big money.

Former Employee - Server in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Server in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Relatively easy job in a nice area, everyone was friendly

Cons

Not much potential for growth, slower paced than what I was used to

GA to server experience

Current Employee - Guest Assistant in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Guest Assistant in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun atsopmphere, great managment. its something new and fun everyday! it would be wise to learn the menu so you will be promoted to a server. managament likes it when you take iniative, work hard and you will get promoted.

Cons

on slow days you won't make a lot of money. servers are very respectable and tip you out well if you work hard for them

Look internally to promote Guest Assistants to servers

Seems to have a theme.

Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ive read a lot of these comments all the way back to 2011. They seem to say the same thing; nice place, good food and good drinks, open door management, management is very supportive, good co workers. Very good systems and very good training.

Cons

The theme for cons are only three table sections, hiring WAY TOO MANY servers.
    Being forced to wear a skirt that has to be above my knees. Sex descrimination. If the men can wear pants the women should be able to wear the same.
    Also, no military discount. Out of my four major complaints the lack of care for our military boils my blood.

Give the females a choice on pants or a skirt. All managers all the way up the line are men except one. You wear skirt and pantyhose for a shift and see how inconvenient it is to work in. The theme for cons are only three table sections, hiring WAY TOO MANY servers.

Senior management, please find a way to rework the amount of servers you put on a shift and give bigger sections to us servers. On a busy night 4 tables would work well, slow night or lunch, 5-6 tables. Most of us seasoned servers are
    very used to caring for multiple tables.
    If my income at firebirds doesnt change for the better soon, Ill be forced to seek employment else where and I really dont want to do that.