Firehouse Subs

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
3.3

Don Fox

Pros
  • Great food and more or less a "fun" job at times (in 8 reviews)

• The co workers are nice, management cares, good food, a lot of communication with customers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours no benefits but good company (in 12 reviews)

• low pay (minimum wage and you have to ask for a raise, they wont just give it to you) (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Company Good, Franchisee Bad

Current Employee - General Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - General Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Firehouse Subs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company as a whole is amazing! They truly care about helping the community as well as working with their employees to make a great sandwich! A great culture and fun work environment.

Cons

Salary is low, bonuses are low, and there are no benefits offered.

If the company took the issue of money off the table, and offered benefits, management would be more likely to stay with the company. Take care of the management and they will take care of you, but they don't offer these options.

A little harder than your normal 9-5

Current Employee - Crew Member in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Firehouse Subs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In-store promotions are looked at before anyone else, Steady hours during season

Cons

Low pay, no benefits for employees (they only provide you with company names that are "affordable"), monotonous, complaints not taken seriously, suggestions for store improvement are mostly ignored.

Listen to employee suggestions, because most of the time the managers end up doing the same thing that we suggested a month earlier. We should not be allowed to request off for holidays, unless going out of town or for another legitimate reason. Full-time employees are not offered benefits, which I was shocked by. Many coworkers of mine have families that they are supporting, and a minimum wage full-time paycheck is still minimum wage.

Under paying irritable job

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Firehouse Subs

Pros

The only pro about working here, is if you don't want to work hours. Management will hire and schedule so many people just for you to show up and leave. Horrible

Cons

The job is a con

Hire new management

Overall good place for students to work

Former Employee - Crew Member in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Midvale, UT

I worked at Firehouse Subs part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great workplace diversity, good sandwiches. Everything is streamlined and very clean/in order always. They give back to the community which is their most notable feature.

Cons

Strict management with stiff upper lips made this by-the-books workplace less personable. Only two employees got raises after several months of hard work.

I never got paid.

Former Employee - Team Member in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Team Member in Columbus, OH

I worked at Firehouse Subs part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None, everything was absolutely terrible.

Cons

Constantly being watched via cameras and constant threat of termination for standing around, although there was never anything else to do since we had no customers. You can only clean already clean tables so many times. I quit less than a month in because the pay period was 5 weeks and I couldn't afford rent on that, still haven't been paid due to shady upper management,

Threat tactics never work for happy employees.

great place to work

Former Employee - Crew Member in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Firehouse Subs part-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% off discount

friendly coworkers

good management

Cons

no benefits
    long hours
    short breaks
    sometimes difficult costumers

I worked here for a year, it wasnt bad but I ran as soon as I got a better job.

Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I worked at Firehouse Subs part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-A job
    -Flexible hours (great for students)
    -management (my manager was awesome but not my coworkers)

Cons

-low pay (minimum wage and you have to ask for a raise, they wont just give it to you)
    -co-workers were friendly but lazy.
    -too much work.
    -no moving up.
    -the same work everyday.
    -no benefits.

Have to be really into customer service

I worked at Firehouse Subs part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The subs were really good

Cons

When you get slammed it can get crazy and stressful

My manager at the time was awful

Disappointing Experience

Former Employee - Cashier in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Firehouse Subs part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, good first job and work environment.

Cons

Unprofessional and bad management, no benefits, minimum wage pay

Management needs work on managing schedules and informing employees of schedule changes. They hired way too many people and overestimated that business would do well. Hours aren't as flexible since management overstaffed their restaurant, leaving some workers with no hours and work. They also expected employees to be on par with In-N-Out and Chick-Fil-A despite offering no benefits and minimum wage.

Misleading

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Firehouse Subs part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, management usually worked with me when I'd have sudden days I needed to be off. Free drinks while working. Praised/bragged on as a great worker on cash register.

Cons

The job was great... For the first two months. It was my first real part time job. I got in because I knew someone else that worked at another store regionally. I was best in our store and in our region at raising money for the public safety foundation and had the highest upsell numbers. Manager would always brag on me and tell me how great of a job I was doing and everything. Then after about two months... Several people had been promoted and given raises. I was promised a raise at the interview if I could prove I was worthy. Never got a raise, never got promoted. Then we had someone new come in and get promoted within three weeks. And I was still making base pay. Boss ended up being moody and a jerk to employees whenever he was in a bad mood. Several people started leaving. I was trying to avoid fast food when I went searching for jobs and was actually about to shred my application when my friend told me she'd pulled strings and I was in already without having to apply. Only took the job because I was desperate and down to $14. Hated the uniform too and kept waiting for promotion because then I wouldn't have to wear the ugly hat that bothered my head so much. Even though it's not your stereotypical fast food restaurant, there's still a lot of oils and grease in the air that can settle on your face and help contribute to breakouts and acne flares. Not good if you're a 16 or 17 year old kid with problems already! Hated the smell I had on me everyday after work and it also spread to my car. My car smelled like a sub for weeks after I finally quit. It just got really negative and was no longer worth the pay I was getting, which was mostly sent to my gasoline fund that I only used to get to work. So it became a viscous cycle. Make money, buy gas to go to work to make money to buy gas to go to work and so on. I really had a miserable experience and there was already a lot of emotional issues I started having at the time. I loved the day I quit. :)

Don't promise raises and then fail to go through with them. And treat your employees with more respect. Or else the ones you really need will leave and your store will look bad because you lose the numbers they were bringing in and then you end up trying to make those numbers back on your own.

Firehouse Subs Photos

our team at work , we all get along like family

+ Add Photo