Fireman's Fund Insurance

Fireman's Fund Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Fireman's Fund Insurance President and CEO Andrew Torrance

Andrew Torrance

Pros
  • The work-life balance is openly discussed and promoted(in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits, used to have a strong sense of togetherness in our department(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Little work/life balance-expectation that you be available to CA timed meetings so work much more hours than paid for(in 15 reviews)

• company has changed senior management 7 times in 10 years(in 17 reviews)

Overall good experience and mostly nice people to work with

IT (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsOpportunities to change roles, learn new skills or move to other areas of the business, even work abroad for the parent company (Allianz)
    Decent bonus in years with favorable financial results
    People are recognized for performance (top team/contributor awards)
    Full gym, various sports teams, game room, on a really nice campus in No. Marin County

ConsAging workforce
    Pay is below market
    Difficult to find the right talent to work for an insurance company in a remote geography

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce bureaucracy and process (too much for company this size)

Many departments are understaffed for the volume of work

Director Information Security (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTrusted specialty insurance company, 150th year in business

Conscompany has changed senior management 7 times in 10 years

Technology is way behind the times, no where near competitors on this and price.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGood community presence with giving

ConsCan't compete with the market

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked, Underpaid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI got paid. I also got work experience at a large firm. I've never been in a place that had it's own cafeteria.

ConsThey refused to automate some simple tasks that could be better done by a computer. Instead they paid me to do this task.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out why projects are taking a long time. If a task looks like it could be automated, try doing it. It's not always slower to automate a task. It's called automation for a reason.

My life at Firemans Fund

Senior Business Analyst Specialist (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsBenefits are above average. Future seems optimist. Direct manager is exceptional.

ConsUnderstaffed. Many senior staff have left voluntarily or through layoffs, causing staffing morale issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead and adopt "Leaders Eat Last"

Upper management showed lack of honesty

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDetailed processes in place. Enjoyed teamwork with my group.

ConsIncredibly political. I experienced upper management to be very protective of their positions. Bullying management style seemed to be encouraged and rewarded. Upper management focused on meeting unrealistic deadlines without regard for quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage a culture of honesty, inclusivity and high quality. Be open to hearing the truth about how the management decisions are impacting the team and the quality of deliverables.

My experience at Fireman's Fund has been challenging due to changes in direction and strategy over the last 5 yers.

Director, Operations (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsClearly defined vision and strategy. Family focused and dedicated to quality of life outside of work.

ConsFrequent organizational change. Lack of investment in mangement development and career pathing.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign on core values related to people development and company culture. Remain committed to the target operating model and reinforce it through consistent application.

Very enjoyable work experience

Senior Claims Adjustor (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsGreat first line supervisors who really cared about their adjusters. Very good benefits including solid 401K match. Not overloaded with claims. Company car.

ConsSalary was OK. Bonus based on performance, which is fine. However, work really hard and then bonus reduced because company as a whole does not meet unrealistic goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to have less upheaval. Constant changes to CEO, hard to tell the direction of the company.

Very Political!!! Watch Out!!!

Accountant (Former Employee) Novato, CA

ProsGreat opportunity for advancement because of all the layoffs. Good, solid, competitive benefits. Great location and beautiful campus and great work environment.

ConsLack of consistent leadership and very political. In the time I have been here, executive leadership turned over 3 times. No clear vision or direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet clear objectives and hold people accountable

Very political company; who you know now what you know.

Auditor (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsCareer Opportunities; very good benefits

ConsLeadership and key skills are lacking in support areas. Lack of appropriate accountability.

Advice to Senior ManagementDemand excellence from your support organizations.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Fireman's Fund Insurance? Contribute to the Community!