Fireman's Fund Insurance

Fireman's Fund Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Fireman's Fund Insurance President and CEO Andrew Torrance

Andrew Torrance

Pros
  • The work-life balance is openly discussed and promoted(in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits, used to have a strong sense of togetherness in our department(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Little work/life balance-expectation that you be available to CA timed meetings so work much more hours than paid for(in 15 reviews)

• company has changed senior management 7 times in 10 years(in 17 reviews)

Caught up in internal politics and navel-gazing

ProsThe rank and file want to do the right thing (mostly)
    Big employer in Marin (but getting smaller)
    Potential to be a great organization (but time marches on)

ConsSenior management is caught up in turf wars and politics. Terrified to execute (see title)
    A cohort of employees that have been with FFIC since the beginning of time and are waiting out the clock

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building a winning culture!

It's 4am I can't sleep and I dread going in to work

Claims Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsEveryone going through the same thing with all the stress and ridiculous work loads
    will be sympathetic and share your misery. Job securiy - ha ha - because no one else wants to work here or co-workers start to jump ship making a very very bad situation worse (which is just mind boggling that we could even notice the difference)

ConsNot humanly possible work loads and being reviewed/graded as if we had a normal workload. In the end, it's the employee's fault for bad audit scores because that's the way it's set up. No allowance for the excessive and impossible workloads will be taken into account at review time. If other employees are working uncompensated overtime then employees that don't will look even worse. But you can't blame those that work uncompensated overtime (OT is not allowed now because they want to save on expenses) because those that do the OT are doing it so that they can sleep at night instead of staying up all night with anxiety and writing a review in the middle of the night like I am.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is wrong and you know it

Weak Leadership = Failure to Execute Turnaround that is Needed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Novato, CA

Pros* Have made some good strategic decisions
    * Staying the course in terms of plans

Cons* Outdated systems and reluctance to invest in new ones
    * Lack of professional development -- people are not priority, financial issues
    * with a few exceptions managers tend to be unsophisticated... grown up through the ranks after years doing clerical work, vs. professionally trained and current

Advice to Senior Management*Get rid of managers that have no business managing other people -- they are making things worse, not better
    * Stop promoting people just because they are in an old boys/girls club -- too insular, not seen as meritocracy

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Express Train to Ultimate Success is still derailed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOnly the benefits and the paid time off are the only things I can think of when I was there. The Heritage program still benefits firefighters across the country so that they can secure their equipment that they need to do their job.

ConsOnce again, the revolving door that is the CEO position at Fireman's Fund was in action again. Within the last week of this writing, FFIC has now replaced and hired their fifth CEO since 2007. If there is only reason why the revolving door that is the CEO's office, it's because FFIC has been unable to make any progress at all in reducing the loss ratio. It has only gotten worse over the last three years. The morale is very low with so many employees being let go.

Outdated IT systems and a poor understanding of the business markets by Underwriting has led to the loss ratio being uncontrolled.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf this new CEO cannot control and reduce the loss ratio, expect FFIC to replace and hire another CEO. And when will Allianz realize that they will have to sell FFIC to stop the bleeding? Not anytime soon.

Overall a great experience

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat co-workers, generous time off, flexible work schedules, generous 401K match

ConsOutdated systems; too many systems required to complete work assignments. Need to cut expenses led to huge layoffs and office closures resulting in decades of lost experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate systems

Good company to work for

Account Representative (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO

ProsThe company has good benefits

ConsThe company changes leadership too often

Inspiring and Strategic but, execution is a challenge

Enterprise Architect (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsWell defined company strategy, appears that they have a focus on wellness for their employees (health, community, personal, corporate), Heritage

ConsAppears that leadership is still trying to find their place, positioning, inconsistent messages... Last RIF appeared to "cut to the bone"...

Advice to Senior ManagementPlay nice together... you're causing churn for your employees...

Great opportunity to learn for younger insurance professionals

Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThere are many Senior people willing to mentor and assist the younger team members. Flexible work environment.

ConsRapid employment advancement is tied to geographic mobility.

Horrible, old school leadership, I'm mean bullies

ProsMost of the coworkers are great to work with

ConsGood old boys leaders club makes it miserable
    Salary is not competitive
    Complex technical environment with failing technology
    Constant reorgs- get it right
    No work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to get rid of leadership who don't deliver and suck the life out of good employees only to pad their egos as bullies.

Like Working in a Kafka Novel

Pros* Pretty campus environment
    * Onsite amenities (cafeteria, gym)
    * Some good people in the working ranks

Cons* Pay is not competitive for comparable web design jobs in SF Bay Area
    * Salary adjustments just OK for top performers; barely keeping up with inflation for average performers
    * Constantly shifting job expectations due to leadership churn and turmoil
    * Inadequate technology/infrastructure and outdated systems
    * Extremely poor and needlessly burdensome processes
    * Can't possibly do a good job in the supposed 37.5 hour work week - 50 - 60 hours is required to keep head above water
    * Training budget inadequate and many employees sorely are in need of updated skills to keep themselves competitive in the job market

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction and stick to it for more than two or three years. Get HR to do adequate benchmarking of comparable tech jobs in the local industry, rather than shoehorning multiple job roles into one-size-fits-all buckets. Invest in adequate training for employees.

Worked for Fireman's Fund Insurance? Contribute to the Community!