Fireman's Fund Insurance

Updated September 17, 2014
2.8

Fireman's Fund Insurance President and CEO Andrew Torrance
Andrew Torrance

Pros
  • The work-life balance is openly discussed and promoted (in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits, used to have a strong sense of togetherness in our department (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Little work/life balance-expectation that you be available to CA timed meetings so work much more hours than paid for (in 15 reviews)

• company has changed senior management 7 times in 10 years (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

From tech to Insurance

Current Employee - IT Management  in  Novato, CA
    Current Employee - IT Management in Novato, CA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Beautiful Novato campus and great people to work with. Unique insurance products offering and an incredibly talented Claims organization. A subsidiary of financially sounds global Insurance giant (Allianz)

Cons

Conservative slow pace company with high frequency of senior management turnover. The ever changing strategy impacted the company's performance in the last 6 years. The current and past CEO have been able to maintain the same strategy and the results are improving.

Educational

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the oldest employers in Marin County (25+ years), they know how to find and recruit great talent; Brilliant and kind people. People in the trenches; multimedia, field relations, community relations, facilities, even in the mail room, they want to be included and genuinely want to help you succeed. It's a small enough organization where people get to know each other and genuinely care about one another. First time in a long time I've built a community in my work force.

Cons

Those same amazing people that are hired are not developed to grow. They are not encouraged to challenge themselves or the organization as a whole. Management seems to be more concerned with making their numbers and sadly what they forget is that without the inclusion of the people that do the work, those numbers will continue to fall and ultimately fade away.

Get out of your offices and WALK the floors! Get to know your employees and really connect with them and see what they have to offer. Develop your people! Find out what matters to them. The foundation of this company was built on community and support. It won't grow successfully if those values aren't cultivated every day.

Company with a great history of helping firemen continues helping firemen in communities all over the USA

Former Employee - Processing  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Processing in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, generous time off, great people to work with

Cons

Old systems equal slower production of work; slow to embrace new technology to make it easier for the policyholder to do business with the company

Listen to the field employees and don't take so long to make requested changes especially when it means making things easier for the policyholder

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Specialized training, open environment, fast promotion, salary

Cons

Out dated systems, bureaucratic,

Listen to customers and employees

Terrible Management of a once Highly Regarded Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

By and large the people are exceptionally nice except for those in senior management.

Cons

Senior management is without a doubt a motley crew of leadership rejects (Specialty lines. They care only about themselves (career paths) and couldn't care less about their employees, producers or policyholders. They all have MBAs as if that means something. They can't manage, can't grow the company, can't inspire employees. The only they can do with regularity is have a reorg every two years. They also turn a blind eye to abusive execs--who only hurt the company.

Being a successful brand means knowing how to deliver on your promises to ALL your stakeholders. Get a clue.

Good place to start

Current Employee - Account Representative  in  Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits
    401k match
    Paid holidays off
    Vacation time
    Great co-workers
    On-site fitness center
    Flexible work time
    Work/life balance

Cons

Not being able to work remotely when needed
    Hard to move up
    CEO turnover rate

Where I work

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Professional and friendly environment. Good company culture.

Cons

Their are multiple problems which is causing the company to lose business. People only talk about fixing them, nothing ever changes.

Although throwing money at something doesn't always work. Many of these problems will require significant capital investments to fix.

Contracting Manager

Current Employee - Contract Specialist  in  Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Novato, CA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

it was close to home

Cons

Too many chiefs and not enough real workers.

Management in this group is a joke should be let go and replaced with real managers

Big, bureaucratic organization.

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Time off and benefits generally good

Cons

Hypocritical about work life balance. They say they care and then reward people who work RIDICULOUS hours. Most everything is outsourced so there is just a skeleton staff left in the U.S. When I was there (2006) they had just instituted yet another absurd performance measurement system where there were public ranking for each member of each team. The whole thing was ridiculous and everyone just rated each other 99%. It's that kind of management that makes a job not worth the pay.

Give some actual power to small groups to actually build something or get something done. The experience there is being a very small, demeaned cog in a big stupid wheel.

Life of the worker bee

Former Employee - Software Packaging Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Packaging Engineer

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

I love working with the people, and I've loved all the jobs I've held

Cons

Executive salaries are inflated, while worker salaries are depressed. FFIC is passionate about off-shoring and outsourcing it's work. And because of numerous past mistakes, anything that smacks of development is kept on a short leash. My personal feeling was that the executives saw me as a disposable commodity.

If you care about the company, I'd max top salaries at 50 times the average salary. That includes contractors and off-shore salaries. This in turn would encourage reinstating benefits and and worker salaries. This approach attracts fewer egos which in turn reduces the number, size and costs of mistakes. You'll also have increased worker loyalty. FFIC has suffered multiple times from discounting the need to take care of its workers and has already lost the best and brightest by failing to respect and take care of the workers.

I don't know about the legal side, but I personally would strive to reduce executive salaries by 10% per year to rebalance wages without causing an exodus of executive talent. But with that said, FFIC is top heavy anyway.

Worked for Fireman's Fund Insurance? Contribute to the Community!