Fireman's Fund Insurance Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
225 reviews filtered by

Glad I'm no longer there. Good luck to those who are waiting to lose their jobs.

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time

Pros

Job was satisfying the first few years. Benefits were great. Many talented, hard-working employees who wanted to do the right thing for the company. Heritage Program was awesome. Cafeteria was convenient. Campus was pretty. A few true leaders kept me hopeful even when I should have run far away years ago.

Cons

Too many bullies in all levels of the organization. Too much collaboration in a bad way - 100 people had to review a single document before it could be finalized. Many people wanted to do the "right" thing for their careers, not the future of the company. A lot of money and time was wasted on projects that didn't have fully-vetted business requirements. Review process had nothing to with hard work and talent. HR didn't support employees when it really would have been the right thing to do. There was minimal professional development and career growth. Way too many, unproductive meetings. Oh, did I mention the bullies?

Advice to Management

I think most of FFIC officers have left the building. They should have listened to the worker bees - we knew what was and wasn't working and maybe we could have saved the company. I can recommend a few books for you to read on leadership and developing a strong, healthy, productive corporate culture. Here's a hint... you have to listen to your employees and empower them to make decisions.

No future

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Novato, CA
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Novato, CA

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Pleasant location/campus
    Good pay for contracting work

Cons

Bureaucratic paralysis
    Corporate culture is fearful and tentative
    The large, well-appointed campus is almost empty. So many rounds of takeovers, layoffs, etc have left this company a hollowed-out shell.

Advice to Management

Keep your resume updated

3. Hoping for the best through acquisition

Current Employee - Account Representative in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits, career path, supportive management

Cons

Pending sale of company and loss of brand. Some negative reviews on this site from former employees are jaded and speak to lack of performance.

Advice to Management

Are we in this together?

Great benefits but horrible work life balance

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits are competitive, generous 401K

Cons

Work life balance is poor , management only cares about results only rather than their employees.

Advice to Management

Blow fish

Illogical, Inefficient, Ridiculous... and that is just Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O Fallon, MO

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance

Pros

In the last two years; I cannot think of one pro EXCEPT; for the paycheck I receive to support my family. IT IS better than being unemployed. Well, that and the die hard employees that are still hanging in for the new era to begin. These people are beyond loyal, all are top at their job roles and the nicest people you will ever meet. All they want is a chance to shine and everyone of them deserve that chance.

Cons

*Middle management is a joke. Most, not all; but most supervisors could not think their way out of a paper bag much less lead a group of people. Part of the problem is the leadership mentality: good supervising is comprised of coaching, leading and encouraging (which most fail) and nothing to do about KNOWING anything about the tasks and the obstacles of success. Some leaders are promoted from entry level positions but even they seem to get immediate amnesia the second they are handed the reins to lead a group.
    *It is bad enough that the basic platform for all transactions are beyond poor; but then you have the genius' who decide to ADD single-user systems with the idea of "efficiency". It is very efficient (read with sarcasm) that it takes 20 to 30 minutes to download, upload or attach a document, open a que to record work completed or (this is the best) open a resource. The added enjoyment? Those multi daily "reminder emails" from supervisors to "watch your time of transactions", your productivity and do not even forget about quality (that in itself is an odyssey designed for people who are into self torture). I look forward to those emails everyday to remind me how much better it will be when I am in a different company that values their front line employees, who actually encourage success and base rewards on merit. I, like most colleagues want to be trusted, no longer micro-managed and given the real opportunity to show our individual strengths and talent in an environment that is built for success.
    WOW--what a concept that will be; kind of like being handed a filet mignon after eating dog food for several years. Most of us are hanging on waiting for a chance to FEEL that level of pride again.

Advice to Management

Too late. Hoping this new company is going to base leaders' employment on the reflection of their merit, their success and the success of their teams. It is time for a new day of motivated, encouraging and "hands on" supervisors who can get in to the real work and not just crunch numbers all day using intimidation to "encourage success". For supervisors who are reading this: FYI-it doesn't and hasn't worked.

What happened?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance (More than 10 years)

Pros

Time off was more than generous, some of the people were great. I have nothing more positive to say so this is just to fill up the 20 word minimum.

Cons

Management had their heads up their butts. As an employee we were constantly being set up to fail with unrealistic goals that even the x-men couldn't pull off. But it was a win-win for the company, they got more work out of everyone still standing, got rid of the poor slaves that couldn't meet the goals, and all without having to hand out any decent raises, if anyone got one at all (remember those "goals" I mentioned?).

Advice to Management

It's too late now, dummies. While I was down in the engine room stoking the fire you idiots ran right into the iceberg, what kinda perk's gonna fix that? By the way, I already know you're gonna label me "disgruntled", don't bother, I enjoyed my years at the fund no hard feelings, I'm just callin' it like I see it.

FFIC review

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Novato, CA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance

Pros

Good vacation, work life balace

Cons

Company reorg, may need to relocate in 2015

9. I handle investment accounting as well as involuntary government program accounting on an IFRS and STAT basis.

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are really good.

Cons

The company future is uncertain.

Advice to Management

Better communication would be a plus.

Years of mismanagement have finally caught up

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Novato, CA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location, work hours are minimal

Cons

Large organizational transition pending, job outlook is poor

Very poor leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice campus, good work life balance. Most of the general employee population are hard working and want to do the right thing. Benefits are good with the exception of salaries. Heritage program is great supporting local fire departments and fallen firefighters.

Cons

Executive (SVP,VP and AVP) leaders need to get a clue!! Leadership is dishonest and after their own agenda. They play favorites and are phony. They think it's all about them and don't care about anyone else. Operations Support department is a disaster with the worst leadership I have every seen!

Advice to Management

It's to late for advice, they blew it. The parent company has had it and based on what I experienced, they did it to themselves allowing the BS to go on unaccounted for. They ruined a great company with great heritage.

Fireman's Fund Insurance Photos