Fireman's Fund Insurance Reviews

218 reviews filtered by

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There were more pros several years ago. Only thing good about this job recently, was decent amount of vacation time, flexible hours and location. Salary was decent and they offered decent benefits as well. But this is not enough to make you tolerate the abusive and toxic environment.

Cons

The management is mentally and verbally abusive. Mandatory overtime has been in effect since earlier this year (people working 50 hours a week as customer service reps) Co-workers are always in your business and there are no repercussions. Systems, technology and methods of processing work are ancient, time consuming and inefficient. The quality programs are constantly changing and you get penalized for not being able to process quality work with poor systems. No opportunities for growth. You will not learn or develop any valuable skills. They have old management for the last 30 years, and the managers are uneducated and cannot think outside the box. Formal dress code has been reinstated, so now you have to dress up like a clown in a suit and go to work where you will be bullied, belittled, overworked, abused, and beaten down (mentally, emotionally, and physically for the long work hours)

Advice to upper management at home office: get rid of your managers at the Bethlehem pa office, including the bozos that run your underwriting department. Bring in people with fresh ideas who are eager to change things. Also get rid of lazy employees who sit around gossiping and spying on people instead of doing their own work. It's a big waste of money to pay bloated salaries, to people who sit back and criticize without rolling up their sleeves and pitching in.

Run away as fast as you can.

Former Employee - Claim Adjuster III in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Claim Adjuster III in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good experience on terms of learning how to handle claims. It used to be a wonderful company to work of but not anymore

Cons

Adjusters are overworked. Management consistently turns over. Too many upper management people. I have heard talk of a "hit list" and consistency on how employee issues are handled is poor. Personal insurance is currently being sold

Sad ending to what was once a great company

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Novato, CA

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for FFIC for 20 years beginning in 1989. The company was profitable and good to their employees, encouraging continuing education and upward movement within the company. Town Hall meetings were exciting, announcing which line of business had the best combined ratio - healthy competition! Then Allianz took over. It was gradual at first, but then they started sucking out the best of FFIC. Marine was one of the first to go, the beginning of the end.

Cons

I recently went back as a contractor, and wondered why they hired me. Management had completely changed, and not for the better. Where there was once a healthy balance of management to staff, the company is now excessively top heavy. I left my contract assignment soon after I started, sad that the FFIC I knew is no longer.

Have a real plan for the last chapter of FFIC's storied history. Take care of the employees who have stayed through these stressful times. Shed some of the unnecessary management during the transition to nothingness, and focus on closing shop.

I just got LAID OFF and… I'm ECSTATIC! (Written August, 2014)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time

Pros

People can be so negative sometimes, right? Me, I try to look on the positive.

For instance, I think there are plenty of good reasons why you should consider working at Fireman's Fund. First off, did you know that you can earn $100,000+ in the marketing department, just for being an order-taker? Sure beats McDonald's! AND, you don't really need to know that much about marketing to work in the marketing department--nor should you. That's because you'll be surrounded by plenty o' others who know, or think they know, so much more than you-- particularly the folks in other departments, like Sales, Underwriting and Claims. The truth is, you'll do exceptionally well here if don't mind being a supplicant and having all your decisions undermined and second-guessed at every turn. And really, how hard is that? I say “not very.”

Secondly, FFIC has a stellar severance package. That's good to know because in a year or six months even, a new leader will undoubtedly come on board, decide that you are the reason the company is failing, and simply eliminate your job. So that severance package will most certainly come in handy for you in the very near future. But if you don't get that pink slip, try to stick around until early 2015-- because that's when the company is rumored to go belly up or get sold off. Hopefully, Allianz will cut you a big fat check when that goes down. So sit tight.

Then, after you leave the company, you are going to experience something unexpected. An utterly indescribable sensation that will shoot through your heart, pierce your brain, ripple and ricochet up and down your spine. You will feel tingly, euphoric, giddy and light, all at the same time. Awash in the glow of an endless sunrise, you will recognize, and welcome back into your life-- this feeling of pure, unadulterated happiness.

In summary, I highly recommend that you come to work in the marketing department of Fireman's Fund. You'll be glad you did, and even happier when you're gone.

Cons

Gosh darn, I wish Glassdoor wouldn't ask me to fill in this section! It’s just not in my nature to criticize others. Bad karma, I tell you. Plus, I worry that writing something here could shake up my chakras or, worse, kill off this wicked bliss-buzz I've had since… well, ever since I lost my job at Fireman’s Fund!

No, I just can't do it.

And really, I don't need to write anything here because it's all been said before. Hey, that gives me an idea! I'll just fill up this empty space with excerpts from previous Fireman's Fund reviews. They're all still current and fresh, and worthy of a second look. Enjoy!

Here's what other Fireman's Fund employees have had to say:

"Politics are so thick you can smell it. Upper-management doesn't care, period. HR is no help when issues arise."

"Bullying management style seemed to be encouraged and rewarded."

"[You] Will forget your real skills and develop useless skills and become unfit or paralyzed for the outside world."

"When things got bad, it felt like I was a contestant on Survivor. Lots of secret alliances and BS politics"

"It is a finger pointing culture, and even on your best days you might feel like you went through a meat grinder with little thanks.

"HR is a joke- protects senior management at all costs."

"Still a beauty contest when it comes to salary/promotions and a forced bell curve."

"Was once a good company based on core values. It's now driven by bullying behaviors, and no concern for the working employee."

"…But, hey, all those folks who have worked here for 5 minutes know WAY more than the rest of the staff"

" I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy if I had one."

"Fireman's Fund is burning itself down from the inside out."

"As a company FFIC runs hard to stand still."

Oh, and here are some of my favorite headlines from previous reviews:

“Company that is on a slow march to extinction. ”
    “A Bully Culture and Not a Good Place to Work ”
    “The longer you stay, the worse it gets ”
    “Disaster NEVER WORK HERE. RUN!!! DO NOT WALK "
    "On the road to nowhere”

This is what one employee recently gave as advice to senior management: "None, management has not responded to employee survey recommendations to improve moral for past 8 years. No chance to change things now."

Wow, what a serious bummer. Not my style, whatsoever… that kind of negative energy can come back and bite you, for sure.

Me? I have only one piece of advice to share here, and that's for those you seeking a job in marketing. But first, you gotta lean in closer, 'cause I need to whisper. (This is a secret): Look here, potential applicant, don’t you worry if you don't have the necessary experience-- just apply right away. There's a better than good chance you'll get hired. Why? Because Fireman's Fund is having an awful hard time recruiting new employees at the moment—what with all the bad ratings here on Glassdoor. (I know this, because they told me so!)

Then once you're in, just do whatever you're told, and you'll be fine. Oh, and don't forget to grandstand, brag, and show off at every opportunity you can, otherwise you can say "bye bye" to your annual performance review, your bonus, and any chance of getting promoted (up to two full levels at one time--with or without the necessary experience!).

Speaking of promotions, one surefire way to shine--aside from the requisite self-aggrandizing-- is to besmirch the good names and reputations of your peers. Here's how: Find an executive who has the ear of the CMO. Someone on your team with ambitions of his own for power and prestige. Someone who will welcome the tattling and complaints you lodge against your colleagues-- and quickly escalate them upward where they can do some real damage. Before you know it, you'll be a rock star, bragging to all about your double promotion, and describing your new office digs to anyone who will listen. What could be easier than that!? I say "not much."

Best of luck to you!

Don't assume anything

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Novato, CA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Dept supports work-life balance and supports process improvement as well as best-practice sharing.
    Beautiful campus with variety of fitness opportunities, including on-site chair massage (at low-cost).
    Much technology improvement opportunity or years for those who work on projects to change the company.

Cons

Most in-progress projects have been shelved or scaled-down and are pending sorting out what our parent company wants to do with the commercial and personal lines.
    Lack of leadership.

Please communicate frequently to advise why not leave now rather than see whether I am kept or offered severance.

Poor Management Ran a Great Company into the ground

Current Employee - Account Representative in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Account Representative in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Vacation Time given from the beginning

Cons

MicroManaged to the Extreme
    Dont know from one week to the next if you will have a job
    COMPANY BEING DISSOLVED
    PENDING LAYOFFS- DO NOT TRY TO COME WORK HERE
    Poor Communication with employees
    Upper Management has a very narrow minded mentality the trickles all the way down to the worker bees, its every man for themselves

CLEAN HOUSE ON ALL MANAGEMENT POSITIONS!!!
    Youre regular day to day employees who actually do the work love this place and dont want to see it go. But poor decision making has ruined this company and continued poor decisions are killing a floundering company

Is this the end of Fireman's Fund Insurance?

Former Employee - Liability Claims Adjuster in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Liability Claims Adjuster in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are no reasons to work here now, since Allianz has decided to basically sell off one half of FFIC and absorb the other half. But this was a long time coming, especially to those who left years ago and to those who are still working at FFIC that have survived. At least the employees cannot be blamed this time for "performance issues" , can they?

Cons

In my ten years of working in the insurance industry, I have never seen a once proud company like FFIC implode like this. Equal responsibility must be placed on both Allianz (for not investing additional money into FFIC after they shelled out the $3 billion back in the 90's and hence making FFIC a competitor) and FFIC as well (for taking the risks into parts of the commerical insurance market where they had no clear understanding , incomptent senior and middle level management). But the warning signs have been there year after year. Seven CEO's at FFIC in the last ten years. The loss ratios over 100 percent for five consecutive years. The entire senior management at FFIC leaving and being replaced over the last 2-3 years. And it is now the rank and file employees that are now caught in the middle and are updating their resumes while waiting for their severance pay and unemployment, wondering what will happen to them. No agent now will place business with FFIC after the news broke last month that the company will be split off and sold. And this is only a fraction of what went wrong at FFIC.

Stop the corpoate Kool Aid speeches to the rank and file and just simply tell the truth to those whose jobs are on the line now.

Clueless Senior Executive Group.

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None, if you work here for any length of time you will loose any job skills you ever had.

Cons

Worked in the Insurance Industry for over 20 years, have never before encountered such incompetence and mismanagement by a group of senior executives. The company is being slowly closed down and many good people are going to loose their jobs because of these clowns. They would not recognize a viable strategy if it was in plain view of them.

Too late they have already destroyed the company.

10. Company with a great history of helping firemen continues helping firemen in communities all over the USA

Former Employee - Processing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Processing in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, generous time off, great people to work with

Cons

Old systems equal slower production of work; slow to embrace new technology to make it easier for the policyholder to do business with the company

Listen to the field employees and don't take so long to make requested changes especially when it means making things easier for the policyholder

From tech to Insurance

Current Employee - IT Management in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - IT Management in Novato, CA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful Novato campus and great people to work with. Unique insurance products offering and an incredibly talented Claims organization. A subsidiary of financially sounds global Insurance giant (Allianz)

Cons

Conservative slow pace company with high frequency of senior management turnover. The ever changing strategy impacted the company's performance in the last 6 years. The current and past CEO have been able to maintain the same strategy and the results are improving.

Fireman's Fund Insurance Photos