Fireman's Fund Insurance Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

A dysfunctional company that is dying on the vine.

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Once one of the major insurance carriers, after numerous changes in management over the past decade, this company doesn't know where it is going. With Allianz sucking what is good about the Fund into it's grasp, there might be some hope left.

Cons

Management from Novato has little grasp of what the insurance market is really like. From their bubble in Northern California, it is hard for them to understand what the competitors are doing or what it is like in the trenches. No real opportunities for growth.

Advice to Management

Set upon a course of strategy and stick to it. Get management out of California and to Chicago or New York.

FFIC officially ends in April

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

What the point when the Co. is technically already gone, and with the Personal Insurance sale to ACE in April, officially no more?

Cons

Again, not much point other than to share a prior reviewer's comments about going to companies who hired a large number of former FFIC Sr. Mgmt. QBE is the most notable with some of the worst empty shirts now ensconced. That group shares a great deal of the blame for the incompetance which supported the downfall. They went to another company that can't fall much further, so they will take credit for whatever improvement is seen, or sidestep blame as the company was already failing. QBE deserves what they get if their own Sr. mgmt couldn't perceive they who/what they were hiring. Those staying with AGCS, it's going to be as it was when those same management folks were here at FFIC as Inland mgmt. They are poorly educated street thugs who have self promoted and protected each other into these top US positions and will treat everyone from FFIC as if they were poor cousins, it's already started and will be just more of the same that's been going on for the last 15yrs. You would be much better off leaving and finding a better company to work for. It's now obvious that Andrew Torrance was brought in only to arrange the sale.

Advice to Management

Stop punishing those who are passionate and speak up to state what's not working, those are the folks to listen to and to promote in order to improve. Sr. Mgmt should be forced to spend time with the folks doing the actual work as well as line supervisors so they can see/hear for themselves what is working and what isn't/why. They might also see that 1/2 the people they have put into AVP/VP positions are clueless and just trying to hold on to what they have.

Great company gone bad

Former Employee - Claims and Risk Services in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Claims and Risk Services in Orlando, FL

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work up until about 2007.

Cons

When the business struggled, waves of incompetent leaders with no business sense decided to blame the employees for their failings. A hostile culture was created with meaningless propaganda and slogans as a distraction while the company went into a death spiral.

Advice to Management

If you were in senior leadership between 2007 and 2013 you are personally responsible for the death of this company. Employees looking for new work would be well advised to avoid the companies that where you have sought refuge.

Auto adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Work life balances, ease of getting time off, some great co worker's

Cons

Lack of communication, some of the supervisors are very unprofessional, they totally ignore the contract ie. policy the insured signed all to make a complaining customer happy. They basically give away the entire ship

Advice to Management

Yes NPS is important however the agent is not our only customer, they will not move the insured to another carrier just because we stuck with the policy. I understand some exceptions but we pay way too many claims that should not be covered and the payout on some is ridiculous all just to keep an agent happy. Listen to your employees many of them know what they are talking about, we deal with customers first hand you all just come in when one can't get their way.

Sad memorial to failed leadership

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Novato, CA

Pros

Well-intentioned people working very hard.Trying to overcome 25 years of stagnation of business practices (yeah, they did a Cobol compiler UPGRADE last year...). Very generous benefits. Nice campus.

Cons

23 years of not being terribly efficient, effective, nor innovative have taken their toll. The longest term staff managed to survive by hunkering down and avoiding the revolving door of management initiatives. The parent company is now done pounding sand down the proverbial rat-hole, so significant downsizing to cheaper, mid-west sites is on the horizon.

Advice to Management

Bit late for that, no?

2 of the best yet worst years of my long career

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President & Uw Manager Coml Programs in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees at the branches. Many were long term, very committed, life long partners in some cases. The FFIC name was always impressive up until 5 years ago.

Cons

Mind numbing constant reorganizations within Commercial Insurance. The death of Specialty Div, Interstate Specialty UW's and UW Mgrs reporting to ridiculous Commercial Lines UW Execs who never focused on the right things such as writing more profitable business but instead enjoyed commanding too many to count all UW Mgr meetings that accomplised nothing...NOTHING...

Advice to Management

Too late and wouldn't ever do any good anyway. They tried to pretend they were listening to front line people but they didn't, they couldn't, they were puppets for the horrid Allianz who even practically forced a ransom of 1 billion dollars paid to Allianz from poor FFIC coffers. Sad and such an embarrassment overall.

Run while you can!!!

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I seriously can't think of any...

Cons

This company is full of bullying, finger pointing, incompetent, and aging management team. I've been in the IT industry for 10+ years working from eCommerce to Health Insurance, and I have never ever worked for such a bad company. Like my title says, run while you can, cause I'm about to!!!

Glad I'm no longer there. Good luck to those who are waiting to lose their jobs.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time

Pros

Job was satisfying the first few years. Benefits were great. Many talented, hard-working employees who wanted to do the right thing for the company. Heritage Program was awesome. Cafeteria was convenient. Campus was pretty. A few true leaders kept me hopeful even when I should have run far away years ago.

Cons

Too many bullies in all levels of the organization. Too much collaboration in a bad way - 100 people had to review a single document before it could be finalized. Many people wanted to do the "right" thing for their careers, not the future of the company. A lot of money and time was wasted on projects that didn't have fully-vetted business requirements. Review process had nothing to with hard work and talent. HR didn't support employees when it really would have been the right thing to do. There was minimal professional development and career growth. Way too many, unproductive meetings. Oh, did I mention the bullies?

Advice to Management

I think most of FFIC officers have left the building. They should have listened to the worker bees - we knew what was and wasn't working and maybe we could have saved the company. I can recommend a few books for you to read on leadership and developing a strong, healthy, productive corporate culture. Here's a hint... you have to listen to your employees and empower them to make decisions.

10. Hoping for the best through acquisition

Current Employee - Account Representative in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits, career path, supportive management

Cons

Pending sale of company and loss of brand. Some negative reviews on this site from former employees are jaded and speak to lack of performance.

Advice to Management

Are we in this together?

Great benefits but horrible work life balance

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits are competitive, generous 401K

Cons

Work life balance is poor , management only cares about results only rather than their employees.

Advice to Management

Blow fish

RSS Feed </> Embed