Fireman's Fund Insurance Reviews

Reset

Illogical, Inefficient, Ridiculous... and that is just Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O Fallon, MO

Pros

In the last two years; I cannot think of one pro EXCEPT; for the paycheck I receive to support my family. IT IS better than being unemployed. Well, that and the die hard employees that are still hanging in for the new era to begin. These people are beyond loyal, all are top at their job roles and the nicest people you will ever meet. All they want is a chance to shine and everyone of them deserve that chance.

Cons

*Middle management is a joke. Most, not all; but most supervisors could not think their way out of a paper bag much less lead a group of people. Part of the problem is the leadership mentality: good supervising is comprised of coaching, leading and encouraging (which most fail) and nothing to do about KNOWING anything about the tasks and the obstacles of success. Some leaders are promoted from entry level positions but even they seem to get immediate amnesia the second they are handed the reins to lead a group. *It is bad enough that the basic platform for all transactions are beyond poor; but then you have the genius' who decide to ADD single-user systems with the idea of "efficiency". It is very efficient (read with sarcasm) that it takes 20 to 30 minutes to download, upload or attach a document, open a que to record work completed or (this is the best) open a resource. The added enjoyment? Those multi daily "reminder emails" from supervisors to "watch your time of transactions", your productivity and do not even forget about quality (that in itself is an odyssey designed for people who are into self torture). I look forward to those emails everyday to remind me how much better it will be when I am in a different company that values their front line employees, who actually encourage success and base rewards on merit. I, like most colleagues want to be trusted, no longer micro-managed and given the real opportunity to show our individual strengths and talent in an environment that is built for success. WOW--what a concept that will be; kind of like being handed a filet mignon after eating dog food for several years. Most of us are hanging on waiting for a chance to FEEL that level of pride again.

Advice to Management

Too late. Hoping this new company is going to base leaders' employment on the reflection of their merit, their success and the success of their teams. It is time for a new day of motivated, encouraging and "hands on" supervisors who can get in to the real work and not just crunch numbers all day using intimidation to "encourage success". For supervisors who are reading this: FYI-it doesn't and hasn't worked.

What happened?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance (More than 10 years)

Pros

Time off was more than generous, some of the people were great. I have nothing more positive to say so this is just to fill up the 20 word minimum.

Cons

Management had their heads up their butts. As an employee we were constantly being set up to fail with unrealistic goals that even the x-men couldn't pull off. But it was a win-win for the company, they got more work out of everyone still standing, got rid of the poor slaves that couldn't meet the goals, and all without having to hand out any decent raises, if anyone got one at all (remember those "goals" I mentioned?).

Advice to Management

It's too late now, dummies. While I was down in the engine room stoking the fire you idiots ran right into the iceberg, what kinda perk's gonna fix that? By the way, I already know you're gonna label me "disgruntled", don't bother, I enjoyed my years at the fund no hard feelings, I'm just callin' it like I see it.

FFIC review

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Novato, CA

Pros

Good vacation, work life balace

Cons

Company reorg, may need to relocate in 2015

5. I handle investment accounting as well as involuntary government program accounting on an IFRS and STAT basis.

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are really good.

Cons

The company future is uncertain.

Advice to Management

Better communication would be a plus.

Years of mismanagement have finally caught up

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Novato, CA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location, work hours are minimal

Cons

Large organizational transition pending, job outlook is poor

Very poor leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice campus, good work life balance. Most of the general employee population are hard working and want to do the right thing. Benefits are good with the exception of salaries. Heritage program is great supporting local fire departments and fallen firefighters.

Cons

Executive (SVP,VP and AVP) leaders need to get a clue!! Leadership is dishonest and after their own agenda. They play favorites and are phony. They think it's all about them and don't care about anyone else. Operations Support department is a disaster with the worst leadership I have every seen!

Advice to Management

It's to late for advice, they blew it. The parent company has had it and based on what I experienced, they did it to themselves allowing the BS to go on unaccounted for. They ruined a great company with great heritage.

8. Excellent Company

Current Employee - Assistant Actuarial Analyst in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Actuarial Analyst in Novato, CA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fireman's Fund has a great group of employees. The office culture is enjoyable and the managers are great to work with. Most employees are very knowledgeable about the business, and opportunities within the company are extensive. They also offer an actuarial rotation program, which is a major plus.

Cons

The location of the home office in Novato, CA is not ideal, and the recent announcement of company restructuring indicates job insecurity.

Years of subpar results have led to current period of 'transition'

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Novato, CA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people at FFIC were great and the benefits package good with a solid focus on work-life balance. 7.5 hour days, 4 -5 weeks of vacation, 7.5% 401K matching were easy to get used to.

Cons

As stated in my intro, the company is essentially being merged into another Allianz (parent company) company and there is question as to whether the Fireman's Fund brand will even remain. The poor financial results did affect the ability for individuals to move ahead in the organization over the last few years and, of course, the moral of the workforce.

Advice to Management

The management will be moving on after the 'transition' stage so no advice is needed.

No advancement opportunities

Current Employee - Java/IT Solutions Engineer in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Java/IT Solutions Engineer in Novato, CA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time

Pros

- Friendly co-workers for the most part. - Good amount of vacation days + paid holidays. - On campus gym for free - Nice lounge with pool table, ping pong table, etc. - Campus is pretty nice (minus the duck poop). - Decent cafateria - Laid back atmosphere (can also be considered a con, see below). - Reasonable bosses - WFH on Fridays

Cons

- Compensation is on the border line of being non-competitive - Meetings. Meetings. Meetings. Typical day you will probably have a meeting in the morning, followed by a meeting discussing the meeting you just had, followed by another meeting to plan the next meeting. You will wonder how anything ever gets done. - A majority of the meetings will also be about processes, procedures, and approvals. You will experience de ja vu on a daily basis. - A majority of the people working here have been here for 20+ years, some 40+ years. They are nice people but they seem to be too comfortable with their job; they have forgotten how much work/effort people with similar jobs at different companies have. They have lost the drive to be competitive. - Senior management doesn't really seem to know what's going on. - Old technology, like early 20th century technology. - Work is extremely dull.

Advice to Management

Not much advice I can give, I'm not an expert in management.

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers, benefits, Heritage, no pros for management.

Cons

Management, management, management, management, management.

RSS Feed </> Embed