Fireman's Fund Insurance

Fireman's Fund Insurance Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Fireman's Fund Insurance President and CEO Andrew Torrance

Andrew Torrance

Pros
  • The work-life balance is openly discussed and promoted(in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits, used to have a strong sense of togetherness in our department(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Little work/life balance-expectation that you be available to CA timed meetings so work much more hours than paid for(in 15 reviews)

• company has changed senior management 7 times in 10 years(in 17 reviews)

62 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Easy place to work

Manager (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsNice campus with good workout facilities

ConsVery weak senior and middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people rather than outside consultants and stop changing your your long term strategy every few years.

On the road to nowhere

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsTelecommuniting, Heritage Program, some truly good human beings in the trenches, good 401k match

ConsNo upward mobility- constant middle and upper managment turnover with accompanying change of focus/direction. But hey all those folks who have worked here for 5 minutes know WAY more than the rest of the staff Health benefits poor post Affordable Care Act.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to be an expert provider listen to the experts.

Horrible working environment.

Anonymous (Former Employee) Novato, CA

ProsIt was a paycheck. Some benefits were the food court served descent food and the grounds were nice and quite large for walks. You also had a 37.5 hour work week compared to 40 plus.

ConsTerrible upper management who only looked out for themselves. Little to no room for advancement. Corporate infrastructure was old and not up to date. Typical large corporate environment. Upper management doesn't know or care who you are.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in upgrading corporate infrastructure. Focus on keeping productive and knowledgeable employees and rewarding them to minimize turnover.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disaster NEVER WORK HERE. RUN!!! DO NOT WALK

Director (Former Employee) Novato, CA

ProsI have to tell you, there are absolutely no positive aspects of working for this company. They are dishonest. They will slander you after you leave. I am an honest hardworking person who has been a very successful executive in this industry for more than 2 Decades. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY.

ConsThey are dishonest. They slander their employees. They lie to the Department of Insurance. They lie to their clients. They lie to their employees. There is nothing redeeming about this organization whatsoever.

Advice to Senior Managementget some scruples. get some integrity. Stop slandering ex-employees. Stop lying.

Vendors Have Rendered The IT System Endangered

Java/IT Solutions Engineer (Former Employee) Novato, CA

Pros20 vacation days a year.
    Big cafeteria with food cooked to order.

ConsA Public Service Announcement

Expected a development job within the IT department, but I found IT to be managing vendors and integration between the vendors. Integration was just XSLT transforms. Was there for close to a month and didn't type a single line of code except for the interview coding test. I don't get it. People in the team also came in with the same expectations.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Technology used are really outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith each vendor adds a new layer of complexity to the entire system and requires integration and maintenance which probably outweighs the cost benefits of going with vendors.

Get a good tools team/department to deal with internal software tools...

At the Fund

Senior Counsel (Former Employee) Novato, CA

ProsVery low key professional work place.

ConsAs a company FFIC runs hard to stand still.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider outsourcing senior management.

The longer you stay, the worse it gets

Marketing (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsThe donations to the fire service are the best thing about the company.
    Beautiful campus with a gym, outdoor lake and a cafeteria.
    Bonuses are generally paid based on performance.

ConsIf you are a longer tenured employee, your salary is probably well below market.
    Employees are moved into manager roles based on their ability to "sell" themselves rather than based on skills, knowledge or ability to lead. Managers are not held to any rules of conduct and HR protects them rather than providing them training and skills for appropriate leadership development. With the recent leadership turnover, there is a new pony show going on for the managers (and a few employees) to "display" their importance.

Poor technology, redundant procedures and lack of delegation fuel a lack of efficiency throughout the department.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be fooled by the show offs.
    Listen to the rank-and-file employees.
    Invest in technology.
    Invest in employee development.

A Bully Culture and Not a Good Place to Work

Upper Level (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMany caring and smart people, but they are stuck in the dark smog of cons.

ConsPolitics are so thick you can smell it. Upper-management doesn't care, period. HR is no help when issues arise. Was once a good company based on core values. It's now driven by bullying behaviors, and no concern for the working employee. Morale is very low, and continues to drop as leaders keep pushing for more, but giving less resources and rewards. It is a finger pointing culture, and even on your best days you might feel like you went through a meat grinder with little thanks. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy if I had one.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and listen to your employees. We are human, and so are you. You will succeed if you truly believe in your employees, and engage them the right way. It really shouldn't be that hard. True leaders could actually make this work.

Company that is on a slow march to extinction.

Senor Department Manager - Underwriting (Former Employee) Novato, CA

ProsFair Benefits
    Vacation and other benefits
    Dress code
    Facility

ConsPoor management
    No solid direction or product offering to the marketplace.
    Un Happy Agency plant
    Poor Information Technology
    Poor financial basis for future
    Unstable top leadership
    Outsourcing key capabilities without quality control
    Disrespect for employees and suppliers
    Unhappy customer base

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, management has not responded to employee survey recommendations to improve moral for past 8 years. No chance to change things now.

Overall good experience and mostly nice people to work with

IT (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsOpportunities to change roles, learn new skills or move to other areas of the business, even work abroad for the parent company (Allianz)
    Decent bonus in years with favorable financial results
    People are recognized for performance (top team/contributor awards)
    Full gym, various sports teams, game room, on a really nice campus in No. Marin County

ConsAging workforce
    Pay is below market
    Difficult to find the right talent to work for an insurance company in a remote geography

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce bureaucracy and process (too much for company this size)

Worked for Fireman's Fund Insurance? Contribute to the Community!