Firestone Complete Auto Care

www.firestonecompleteautocare.com

Firestone Complete Auto Care Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Dan Adomitis

Pros
  • good benefits if you take advantage of them(in 15 reviews)

• The only pro I can think of is that you make a decent pay check(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, being under staffed is part of normal business model(in 35 reviews)

• Tough (not impossible) to strike a good work life balance(in 12 reviews)

Sales advisor

Sales Advisor (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsMake a lot of incentives on products/service that you sell personally, usually 48 hours a week

ConsHours are cut if store does not make weekly goals, no weekends off, growth potential is slow, constant phone shops checking to make sure you getting customers in the door.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

not happy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood people that work there

Consdon't care about workers who work there

Advice to Senior Managementcare more

Work hard get paid for it

Technician (Current Employee) Warren, OH

ProsGood pay, good benefits, positive atmosphere, discounts on new cars and parts, discounts on auto repair

ConsManagement is distant until you mess up or don't perform. no bonuses for outstanding performance. difficult to be promoted if your really good at what you do. No less than 50 hours a week, any job title

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at who works extra hard to make a difference

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great way to learn a lot about cars and how shops work.

General Service Technician (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat way to get started as a mechanic.

ConsNot a lot of bad experiences to be honest.

A long grind filled with rude customers and no time off.

Manager of Tire Sales (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe health care plan is good.

ConsLong hours, no vacation the first year, work random schedules and they are open seven days a week. Decreased pay after moving to new city without any notification.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the employees the same treatment that you expect them to give the customers.

divided opinions

Lead Tech (Current Employee)

ProsGreat stepping stone to something better. can turn into a great experience as long as you are self motivated to do right by the customer. good benefits if you take advantage of them

Consturns into a bad experience when the manager starts getting less bonus money and will take out his aggression on the employees and start forcing jobs onto techs that are not ready for that kind of job. (come back pending) then the greater experienced are forced to survive on scraps.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't take advantage of a LOYAL employee to the point where he just don't give a Darn anymore !

My experience while working at Firestone was ok. I learned a lot, but pay is low.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place for entry-level employment experience. Technicians make decent book-time hours when business is good.

ConsThe technician hourly pay rate is low. Too many technicians competing for work. Not enough training for lower level technicians.

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnician pay-scale is too low. Especially in a city like chicago, living expenses are high, need better pay.

Great Employer

Service Manager (Former Employee) Warner Robins, GA

ProsGreat benefits. Competitive pay.Advancement protental. Enviroment good.

ConsStrict rules. Management not consistant with follow up.

An okay place to start a career, but there are better companies out there

ASE Certified Automotive Technician (Current Employee)

ProsPaid training. Free online courses. Free ASE registration and testing. ASE Certification bonus, currently at $200 per certification. Education reimbursement if you are in college for automotive technology. Average pay: No ASE, no experience = $13; no ASE, 5 year of experience = $15; with ASE and experience = $15-$24. Wages are cap at $24. I was told that we are not allowed to get pay raise after $24. In comparison, dealerships will often give $20-$40, which is why I am leaving the company.

ConsHorrible health benefits. Currently, you need to cover $7,000 of the upfront cost before the insurance kicks in. Long hours, 12-hour days, 5 days a week. Complicated rules when it comes to holiday pays, like you need to be scheduled to work before and after a holiday to get holiday pay: simple fix, store manager will schedule you before the holiday and the other techs after the holiday. Store manager is a partner. He gets up to 10% of his income from the store's profit (or so he told us), which is not a good thing for technicians. Store manager won't provide gloves even when reminded that OSHA requires employers to provide adequate protection. I know a tech who was told to "pick you battles." Store manager won't provide shop rags but will instead provide you with toilet papers that we always ran out of. Reason being, the store manager says, shop rags are expensive, at $10 a pop. Brake cleaner is nonexistent at the shop. Shop also lacks engine hoists/cherry picker, transmission hoists (not even a jack transmission hoist), and other special tools that would normally be provided at other shops. Thus, salesmen are instructed not to take "BIG JOBS." Firestone book flag hours tend to underpay technicians. Example #1, Technician gets .1 (or 6 minutes if my understanding of flag hours is correct, .1 times 60 minutes) for doing a courtesy check, that is to check all four tires including tread depth, tire condition, and check for nails, and check a list of parts, like front and rear wiper blades condition, hoses for leaks, grab the battery tester which is always 15 feet away, and a bunch of other things, just like what they do at walmart and jiffy lube. This obviously have repercussions. Techs tend to halfass their work to get paid adequately. Example #2, installation of four tires pay the same regardless of size. You can get a 20" 50lbs F-350 truck wheel and your buddy can get a 16" 15lbs Civic passenger wheel, and both of you will get paid the same. Manager doesn't care whether you are a highly skilled certified technician or a 17 year old general service tech, anybody will get to put on tires and do oil changes. Example #3, winter/spring/summer/fall care packages are a rip off: you will get paid .3 for doing a CVI (complete vehicle inspection) and a tire rotation. All these shenanigans are being balanced out by state inspection, which pays a .6, plus a courtesy check of .1. If you can't get a state inspector's license because of previous convictions, you will have a hard time. Old timers gets big paying jobs by default, i.e., if a customer walks in for a cooling system flush (.8), transmission flush (.8), basic front brake job (.8), and brake flush (.6), the oldies will get it first. In the end, after everything has been said and done, every morning or every evening, whichever you prefer, you will need to double check your invoice numbers on the shop's computer. Managers get careless and pay the wrong tech. This happens regularly. And when I say regularly, usually once or twice every few days. Normal salesmen are usually more careful because they tend to buddy up with techs.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove working conditions.

Unpleasant

Technician (Current Employee) Cranberry, PA

ProsGood benefits, managers other than the store manager are easy going, a lot of free training available

ConsLong hours, low pay, ridiculous corporate rules and policies, have to fight for proper flat rate hours sometimes, good work goes to favored technicians.
    Technicians must pay labor to work on their own cars and parts must be gotten through the company and marked up. I worked on my own car in the rain outside because I refuse to pay the company for my own time. GM yelled at me when he found out.

Advice to Senior ManagementCalm down.
    Our store manager used to be ok. Now he's insane because his higher-ups are making him jump through hoops for a partnership they probably won't give him anyways.
    A year ago the store was much more relaxed and enjoyable. Now morale is down overall. Our lead tech who has been there since the start quit and me and another tech have applied elsewhere.

Worked for Firestone Complete Auto Care? Contribute to the Community!