Firman Community Services

Updated October 5, 2014
Updated October 5, 2014
1.2

Marguerite Young

If you can work here, you can work anywhere

I worked at Firman Community Services

Pros

Compensation is average to above-average compared to other non-profit agencies.
    Average to above-average benefits package.
    Many dedicated employees who try to support and encourage new staff.
    Days-off are granted during the holidays.
    Employees are encouraged to take advantage of professional development opportunities.

Cons

Policy changes, and other changes, are told to employees at last minute.
    Employees are often name-called by upper management, to their face and behind their back
    A lot of communication from upper management consists of yelling.
    Workers use profanity in the schools.
    High turnaround of middle-management.

The constant yelling, name-calling, threats and psychological tricks, such as asking an employee, "You are on your own. What are you going to do if you don't have this job," are not contributing to a healthy work environment.

Nightmare in Rolling Meadows

Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Firman Community Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co Workers. Co workers were helpful and tried to assist, although upper management made it impossible to build relationships between staff.

Cons

This i the most unorganized, and unprofessional organization. Staff was often degraded and belittled by CEO and the Director. New employees were not trained, and were then harshly criticized if they made a mistake. Staff is often threatened. No sick days, and upper management often interrupted lunch hour to make you work. Glad I am gone! Please take Reviews into SERIOUS consideration. I wish I did.

Provide EFFECTIVE TRAINING, do not intimidate, threaten, or belittle your staff.

Very nice at first then it turned into a nightmare

Former Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Firman Community Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Having a job after two years of looking

Cons

Yelling, late meetings with CEO, pay always late, unorganized company. CEOs way or no way, you will never be able to speak, rules change every day. Get calls to come to main office in 5mins or loose your job, no respect for worker or parents

Closed down

Worst place to work

Former Employee - Family Worker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Family Worker in Chicago, IL

I worked at Firman Community Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Having a job to go to

Cons

no sick time, no benefits, to much yelling going on, un organized, do not make mistakes, very high turnover, not payed at a resonable time, will suspend you at a drop of a dime, will tell your personal business to other employees.

Treat your workers with respect.

How is Firman still in business?

Former Employee - Family Case Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Family Case Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Firman Community Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My co-workers were wonderful people, and I enjoyed having their support.

Cons

I was warned my first day by a co-worker that I should not have accepted a job here. On the company website, nowhere does it say where this organization receives its funding from (we were told by our supervisors and the CEO that the state of Illinois provides Firman with funding). No list of a board of directors anywhere. The website is kind of a joke. I just don't understand.

It is a completely chaotic and unorganized place. Printers and fax machines are always broken, and employees are not allowed to have their own telephones and computers, which makes doing work difficult. Gas mileage reimbursement and pay checks never arrived on time. We would sometimes have to wait until 8pm on Friday to receive them. The worst part were the supervisors and the CEO. They are very unprofessional and inappropriate and treat their employees with no respect. The dress code was extremely harsh and we had to call everyone (including coworkers) by Ms. or Mr. It was a very strange and horrible experience to work at this place, and everyone told me they were proud that I quit, after getting verbally assaulted by the CEO for no reason, in front of the entire company. It really was frightening.

Do not verbally and emotionally abuse your employees. There seems to be no checks and balances, and it is very scary and just does not make sense why something cannot be done about the way they treat employees.