First Acceptance Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Kelly

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time

ProsFriendly staff and Great management

ConsBenefits could be much better

The company has been around a long time, but has had it's ups and downs over the years.

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou are not always sitting at your desk, due to the ability to leave the office and market. You are your own manager with the help of a district manager when needed. You get to meet diverse people and handle diverse situations as well.

ConsMarketing is okay, but being out off the office too much leaves less chances for the agent to meet and see who their new customers are and less chances of getting to talk to them and getting to know them. Some long-time customers may hardly see the agent in the office and think the agent is no longer employed there. Also, mostly all company organizations assign sales territories for each sales person that is out in the sales field; and Acceptance Insurance does not do this so agents end up competing with each other for sales referrals.

Management has no concern for the employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time

ProsThere are some good dedicated long term employees there.

ConsPoor Management, they don't communicate or have any concern for their employees.

Pay is decent for Agents, benefits are not great, environment is stressful

I have been working at First Acceptance Corporation full-time

ProsPay is decent, provides a mini medical plan which is better than nothing, PTO is generous, very customer focused which is good. As an agent, I can call underwriting and get an issues fixed right away, which is great. My DM is very accessible and knows a lot about the industry.

ConsFor a sales job, there is too much focus placed on redundant reports (as an agent, I complete 15 reports a week), and a lot of emphasis placed on non-sales generating activity, but the company expects a lot of sales. Training is sub-standard. Company does not care to hear suggestions from the field. I get about a million emails a day and that gets old quick too.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees by providing them with ongoing training. Provide a way for field employees to submit suggestions (other than to the DM). Out here in the field, we feel like numbers rather than people. We know we can be replaced, but we don't need to be reminded of this on a daily basis. Investing in products and services is great, but investing in your salespeople is important too. Also, consider changing pay structure and job title for CSR's, they are even more unappreciated than us agents are, which is why there is such high turnover for CSR's.

Good pay if you enjoy high pressure sales

Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay structure for agents, slight flexability in schedule

ConsWeekends are required, CSR's not always paid enough, high pressure sales, high pressure quotas

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on what customers need and less focus on just selling products they don't need. Get your financials in order

Get paid more to deal with more BS!

I have been working at First Acceptance Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsPay. Florida Agent pay is great. Region 2 manager is great, he's helpful and seems genuinely concerned most of the time.

ConsCSR pay is terrible, CSRs never get raises and they do most of the physical work as they are the ones left in the office on a daily basis to do EVERYTHING while the agent is out marketing and bringing in the business.
Hours- when hired they tell you you'll only work 1-2 Saturdays a month, now it's required that everyone is there EVERY Saturday. There are months of blackout periods in which you are not allowed to request or take PTO. I see my family about an hour each day M-Sa.
Clients- A lot of clients are rude, unappreciative, and MEAN.
Product- the company boasts a great product but their rates are the highest in the state, the coverage that they push their agents/CSRs to sell is below state minimum requirements. Even if we try to push better or higher limits, our rates are not competitive.
Management- for the most part the company is very disorganized and one manager will tell you one thing and the next will tell you something else. You never really know what's going on.
Co-workers- many of the agents/CSRs and even some of the DMs are uneducated and unprofessional. The emails that they send out corporate wide are at a 6th grade writing/grammar/content level.
Tax preparation- while it was a solid shot in the dark to incorporate tax preparation into our job duties, it's a halfway attempt. The agents/CSRs are unprepared, nervous and already bogged down with a bigger work load during the tax season.
Software- I'm not sure what the excuse is for the software used at this company but it's absurd! We're still using an old DOS program called AS400! I'm assuming it's cheaper to keep this program and not upgrade but it makes our daily duties harder, more time consuming, billing and endorsements are CONSTANTLY incorrect and we're limited to what we can do to a policy compared to more standard insurance policy management systems.
Advertisement- I'm all for agents marketing using B2B and face to face concepts but it's almost 2014 and they are just now getting TV commercials in Florida. Stop wasting time on 'stickies' that do NOT stick and instead litter parking lots and anger people whose cars we're touching without their consent and in parking lots we're constantly ran out of!!
Benefits- we recently completed benefit reelections and OMG... they told us how excited we should be about the changes to come etc etc... Guess what?! Our health insurance benefits have decreased and our premiums have DOUBLED!!!! I had to go from an 80/20 plan to a 70/30 plan just to be able to take home a paycheck and I'm still paying $30ish more per pay period!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging and start listening to your agents and CSRs! Training needs to be more consistent and thorough. Florida is your biggest money maker, please make it easier for agents/CSRs to sell a decent product and not bullied into selling PIP/PD policies with add-ons just so we can make goal. Please consider a software upgrade for the policy management system! Company moral is low, low, LOW, we feel overworked and tricked into working so much while corporate taunts the 'be at work and reap the benefits' phrase. I'm sorry, family is more important and we should be allowed at LEAST rotating Saturdays, please!

Claims Sweatshop

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)

I have been working at First Acceptance Corporation

ProsGetting experience in complex claims issues

ConsExtrremely overworked for the pay. They will work you into the ground without much incentive given for your hard work

Advice to Senior ManagementVery distance. Not appreciative to their employees. Not much chance for upward movement.

Some fine people have worked for this company over the years. Too bad they left.

Employee (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at First Acceptance Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get a paycheck (don't count on raises or cost of living). You get PTO (will help when you start looking for a new job). Minimal amount of micromanaging, but then again the company is just leaving the 20th Century when it comes to technology.

ConsUpper management is controlled by majority stock holder. Upper management lacks any ethics or morals. Upper management has had no qualms taking substantial yearly bonuses while wages have been frozen for years. Poor morale in all offices. Benefits are sub-par for industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize who's backs you are riding on. It wasn't your hard work that made this company profitable.

Management is terrible, clueless and arrogant...

Agent (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to know the customers really well and form relationships with a lot of really good people.

ConsEverything else...low pay, long hours, high pressure, poor management. Financially unstable with a bleak outlook. Lot's of turnover. Front line employees (Agents & CSR's) have no voice.District and Regional Managers who do not have a clue (or Insurance license).

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to someone who knows what they're doing!!

Company that does not care about front line, bad communication. Never really sure what is going on. LOTS of turnover

Customer Service Representative/Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsMy pay is ok, but the hours worked cancel that out.

ConsYou never have a full understanding or complete answer for customers, which hurts your credibility with clients/businesses in area. Mangers require a lot of ridiculous reports and goals that interrupt day to day activities. Big changes in schedules are made two days before they go in to effect so no one can prepare for them. Most issues you have with company are ignored by managers, but if there is an issue with you, you are contacted immediately for questioning. Training is not adequate nor informal about actual LAW versus SELLING.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoral is low - employees don't trust employer (if they are smart employees) to do what they say they will do.
Follow through with what you say you are going to do.
Put more faith in your employees, or maybe if you would be trustworthy yourself then you would actually be able to trust others.

Worked for First Acceptance Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Acceptance Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for First Acceptance Corporation CEO Mark Kelly. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by First Acceptance Corporation employees.