First Advantage Investigative Services

Updated June 30, 2014
1.7

Richie Taffet
1 Rating

sad waste of many years of my life

Former Employee - Researcher  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Researcher in New York, NY

I worked at First Advantage Investigative Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Remote work. Flexible hours. Relative invisibility if you just want to live your life and not have someone breathing down your neck.

Cons

In truth, I spent too much time at this company. Very little of what I did for my work has a practical application in most industries. The work flow was constant and mind-numbing in its redundancy. Raises stopped in 2008. New York based employees will struggle to live on this salary. The flexibility hardly makes up for it unless you want to take on a second job. Among the employees I communicated with, few were worth a damn. And some departments have the tendency to hire only within a specific ethnicity. I encountered a good deal of bias when communicating with other departments and some upper management. Beyond that, I highly recommend this company to someone who can't find something better.

I don't think any advice I had to offer would be heeded. I barely know who the individuals referred to as "upper management" would be.

Company lacking coherent leadership, structure or any incentive for employees to stay

Former Employee - Writer/Investigator
    Former Employee - Writer/Investigator

I worked at First Advantage Investigative Services

Pros

Work was challenging and interesting a lot of the time; pay was pretty good for the education/skill background needed (no advanced degree required, journalism/writing background doesn't usually command too much money)

Cons

The company is pervaded by a culture of paranoia, wildly inconsistent messages from management and an almost hilarious level of cronyism. It was virtually impossible to get straight answers as to why an approach to part of one report was good and that same approach to the same section of a different report was unacceptable. Editors made and demanded changes to reports without being able to ever explain why the changes were necessary, meaning it was impossible to keep from making the same mistakes in the future, leading to an enormous amount of wasted time. Employees gained favored or disfavored status very visibly and quickly and were subject to radically different treatment. Editors/supervisors were clearly understaffed and overworked. Editors' feedback was internally inconsistent, again making it tough to know how to do X or Y or Z "right" the next time. Some editors were straight-up cruel to the employees they didin't like. Management forced writers/investigators to regularly work unpaid overtime under the false pretense that they were salaried employees (they weren't - they were hourly wage employees).

Just because someone was there when you were a scrappy little startup in Florida doesn't mean they're remotely competent to manage dozens of writers. Hire some editors externally who know what they're doing, have the guts to fire toxic personalities and for the love of god, develop some coherent system for teaching writers why certain things are written certain ways and why others are not. Every single writing shop on planet earth needs to have a coherent standard and expectations that are communicated consistently and clearly.

Last Advantage

Former Employee - Investigator
    Former Employee - Investigator

I worked at First Advantage Investigative Services

Pros

It was a job in a declining economy

Cons

Did not care about employees, only the ability to bill out for services at employee expense.

Wake up

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

FADV...friends first

Former Employee - Investigative Journalist
    Former Employee - Investigative Journalist

I worked at First Advantage Investigative Services

Pros

Summer fridays and the ability to telecommute. Understanding VP--knows his craft. OT available if willing to work the hours.

Cons

Short sighted micro-management and rampant favoritism. More time fixing non-problems than focusing on client demands.

Merit based, not tenure based. Wrong people in the wrong jobs.

Worked for First Advantage Investigative Services? Contribute to the Community!