First American

First American Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

First American CEO and Director Dennis J. Gilmore

Dennis J. Gilmore

Pros:
  • "My manager strives to make our work environment pleasant and very team oriented"
    in 7 reviews
  • "If you want a "Big Company " name on your resume, this is a great place to start"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work-life balance there at all"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Extremely high turnover, Low Pay"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Solid Company, Solid People

IT Professional (Current Employee)
    Santa Ana, CA

ProsGreat working environment, great people. Family feel. Great place to start your career and grow.

ConsPay could be better, but I do see positive changes in that area.

Not bad.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Santa Ana, CA

ProsPretty good about buying/paying for technology to support the business.

ConsNot too good about acknowledging the employee's that support & maintain the technology. And I'm not even talking about $.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on talent retention and employee appreciation.

"Congratulations, you can come back to work on Monday" is not good pep-talk for motivation, joking or otherwise.

The culture fostered here is one of family and most everyone that you work with are great!

IT Manager (Current Employee)

Pros-Great culture
    -Friendly people
    - Promote from within
    - Believe in having personal time
    -Generous benefits and PTO

Cons- Unequal pay for same work performed
    - 80% is good enough for rush to market
    - People are allowed to make their own rules rather than following the rules made for the good of the company as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be more forceful when it comes to policy & process enforcement and not tolerate the rogue employees
    To pay folks market rate rather than allow the experiences people to leave for more money and then we have to hire at market rate and train them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed working here because of the people in my department. We grew very close and worked well together.

Accounting Associate (Former Employee)
    Van Nuys, CA

ProsI worked here for close to ten and held varied position. There is room for advancement.

ConsPositions are being eliminated due to out sourcing it has become unreliable. Parking lot was always full. Cubicles where not high enough no privacy and noisy. Meeting production was difficult sometimes because if you were experienced you would get the more difficult work. I should of been more balanced.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonally I think it is so sad that any company bearing the name 'American' in its Title could outsource jobs and be part of the growing unemployment problem in the US.

You can do a lot better

Purchasing Agent (Former Employee)
    Van Nuys, CA

Pros-401(k), paid vacations and opportunities to get a little overtime money in during the busy/summer season
    -The higher ups put forth some effort to create a casual environment and make a 9-5 cubicle gig less like, well...a typical 9-5 cubicle gig

Cons-Frequent mass layoffs. Would be understandable if layoffs were necessary for the survival of the company and based on the selective weeding out of under performers and other "bad apples", but it doesn't appear that way. I was herded into a room with seemly randomly chosen people (many of whom been with the company for years, worked very hard, were never late...), given the axe and basically pushed out of the office after the "clean off your desks" speech. I know they do that to prevent any "incidents", but one can be little less curt and robotic when terminating someone's job. Also, as others have pointed out, it's not a good look when a company wraps itself in an American flag and lets employees know how profitable the company is, but outsources to India and lays off great workers.
    -Interdepartmental fighting. Department A doesn't know exactly what Department B is doing and vice versa
    -Training is minimal. No written standard operating procedures for your position. You have to rely on coworkers (cross your fingers that they are friendly and/or not busy!) and (sometimes nonconstructive) criticism from supervisors to help you out.
    -Company has a horrible reputation. Google reviews for First American and see what I mean.

Management seems to care for employees and work-life balance quality is improving

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Santa Ana, CA

ProsCompany is conservative in its business philosophy; management is caring toward employees, industry is mature and stable, headquarters campus is beautiful and well maintained. Management is working hard on improving work-life balance and employee assistance in many areas.

ConsSome departments especially IT are bureaucratic. Company is starting to lose its family-oriented atmosphere and becoming more corporate-like. This is understandable given the size and growth of the last two decades.

Short and Sweet

Support Technician (Former Employee)
    Westlake, TX

ProsA good working environment with friendly, knowledgeable co-workers. Supervisors and manager communicated well, giving good feedback on your progress and performance.

ConsMy group was brought in as contractors to test a new model for the service desk and was laid off after 5 months after upper-management decided to go in another direction.

Meaningful Position

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Odessa, TX

ProsAbility to move up quickly, Flexible schedules

ConsExtremely high turnover, Low Pay

Loved the work, management not so much

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

Proslight work load, easy processes and an overall enjoyable atmosphere; projects were interesting and swift paced. Most of the staff were easy to work with and enjoyed what they did. Location was very easy to get to and the facility was nice.

Consmanagement had hard time being transparent to the teams in giving company updates, future plans and changes. Definitely some political maneuvering giong on, but if you're just looking to collect a check this is the place.

Advice to Senior Managementbe transparent and honest with your subordinates; have a plan and stick to it

First American has been a great place to work with a lot of fun people.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

Pros-Management is very supportive of all staff
    -Culture at work is very friendly
    -There is no micro managing

Cons-A lot of people have been there a long time so it is hard to move up in the company.
    -Cost of benefits is higher then i have previously had.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel like management does a good job and is pretty fair

Worked for First American? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First American reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for First American CEO Dennis J. Gilmore. All 92 reviews posted anonymously by First American employees.