First American Payment Systems

www.first-american.net

First American Payment Systems Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014
First American Payment Systems – Fort Worth – “Lobby”

Neil Randel

Good company

Anonymous (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGood company to work for full of knowledgable, tenured, employees. Located downtown. Good benefits.

ConsLimited advancement opportunities because people rarely leave (Good and bad....) pay is a little low, but so is the stress.

OK Company to work for

ProsPay, benefits, yearly bonus plan in place and consistently pay outs except for this year

ConsPromotion availability, training, management buddy system

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved, be straight forward, stop showing favoritism

Great company, but going down hill quickly

Operations (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

Pros1. People - I have worked at FAPS for many years now and the great people are what keeps me coming to work everyday. Some of my best friends I have met here.
    2. Health - gym membership reimbursement
    3. Tuition reimbursement - they pay up to 5500$ a year, but they recently changed the policy to only pay 100% for receiving "A's", B's are only 50%.
    4. PTO - For one of us that have been here a long time, getting 4 weeks of PTO plus sick and floating days is a lot

Cons1. Stability - The stability has been going downhill very rapidly over the past 3 years.
             - No raises for 2014 = they cancelled all raises for the first time since I have been apart of this company. They announced this just before Christmas, after most us had already purchased presents for our kids. We rely on cost of living increases.
             - Bonus - there have been many whispers of the Bonus running between 25-50% normal, and some saying there might not be a bonus at all. For the past 5 years, the bonus has not been 100%, but never this bad. This has a lot of people nervous and considering there options with the company moving forward.
            - Hiring freeze = usually a hiring freeze goes into effect at the end of the year and falls off at the beginning of the year, this year we started out on one, which is putting a ton of pressure on us, since a lot of backfills are not getting filled either. We are having to tell our teams to work longer hours to make up for less people.
    2. Family relations among management - there are way to many father/daughter/son and Husband/Wife connections at FAPS. Over the years we have seen these affect the business in a negative way. There is a reason this is frowned upon in other companies.
    3. IT Systems - We constantly are having issues with our applications crashing or having errors. The computers also reboot for no reason, which sets us back hours in some cases because you can't save your work in these applications. Email and phones also do not work on a frequent basis. Can't communicate without these working. The IT Department has a very turnover rate is what we get told is the reason for theses issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. We have great ideas, especially on fixing known constraints, but get brushed off. Be more upfront with us, with whispers of the company being for sale again, everyone is nervous.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company has potential but is slowly in a downwind spiral

Cs Representative (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

Pros1. Full Health Benefits for a small check deduction
    2. College Tuition Reimbursement
    3. Career Advancement Opportunities (See Cons)
    4. You won't go hungry. There are always food spreads, etc
    5. 401K
    6. Discounts Programs (T-Mobile, Sporting Events, etc)

Cons1. Some Career Advancement Opportunities are given on a personal and not a professional level. Most, not all, Supervisors/Coordinators consist of a specific race/sexual orientation clique who like to influence upper management for their friends promotional opportunities
    2. Management/Supervisors develop sensual relationships with lower level employees
    3. Employees are "assigned or told" to complete projects outside of their day-day job requirements. Supervisors/Coordinators will take credit for the project, not the employee who completed it.
    4. Supervisors/Team Leads can be rude or arrogant towards lower level employees when they seek assistance on calls
    5. Company does not enforce its own policies (Everyone is on their cellphones and some dress unprofessional) Keep in mind, they deal with credit card information
    6. Company is in a "transitional phase" and has froze annual merit raises and bonuses yet nets millions in profits. *Thanks for telling them two weeks before Christmas. Employees rely on those funds as a COL (Cost of Living) increase* Are they going to sell the business?
    7. High turnover due to inadequate resources. Internal systems often freeze or are "down". This causes calls to stack up, higher hold times and can affects monthly call stats. Many employees find it frustrating and nothing is done about it. This is why we didn't like coming to work. Added stress that could be fixed but wont
    8. Must be at work, on time, even during bad weather (Rain, Sleet, Ice) No excuse
    9. Shady sales practices with sales representatives. (Summit, Transtech (TMG), EMG, etc). They will say anything to get your money. Non-cancellable leases on POS equipment
    10. Executive Board never sees the issues at the call center. They only make appearances during special occasions. Holidays, etc.
    11. LOTS MORE

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in a third party to evaluate your company. One that can tell you where the issues are and how to fix them. Fix your internal servers and systems. Production will increase. It will make for a smoother business.

I was promoted six times in three years.

Recruiter, Trainer, Product & Services, Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) Carrollton, TX

ProsThe sought out talent within company to promote.

ConsI could not work seven days a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour fabulous and thank you for the experience.

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSeems to be a stable company with decent benefits but it depends on where you work and for whom (but I guess that is common to all jobs)

ConsSome of the supervisors there are unrealistic in their goals for their employees and treat them as though they don't know how to do their jobs. Very unprofessional at times and condescending. The worst part is the random drug testing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect and please give me a break with the random drug testing.

Okay for a starter job to obtain experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsA lot of departmental interaction
    Good location
    Good benefits (ie. tuition reimbursement)
    Annual bonus payout (depending on how well the company does in general)
    Good hands on learning experience (exposure to many tasks)

ConsLong hours
    No room for growth/promotion (unless you know someone higher up)
    Micro managers
    A lot of groupies/brown noses, often ostracized if not a part of the "cool crowd"
    Upper management tends to listen to and favor someone higher up the chain, non peons.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more involved in your department and hear all sides of the story. During my tenure there, a lot of turn overs occurred within my department therefore good people have left and got replaced with temps/part-time employees. You end up spending more money advertising the job openings and waste time in training when you could have kept someone who knew the industry and excelled at what they did.

Good Place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

Prosgood people, care about what they are doing

Conslong hours, too much work in the time provided

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

n/a

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsFirst American Payment systems is another company on the market with selling credit card machines. Selling credit card is their primary focus.

ConsCredit card process is more complicated than most others think, because it's required to know inside out of 4500x machine.

First American okay to work for but much to be desired.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsThe benefits are decent.
    The starting pay and raise system are decent.
    People generally are advanced to positions that match their job traits.

Cons* Being friend with management is essential to a promotion or really job security.
    * Policies usually made without input from or concern for how it impacts the general staff.
    * Management usually will entertain but rarely actually listen to input from employees yet, they demand suggestions for process improvements.
    * Attendence policy demands that an employee's personal life happen in the amount of paid time off they have or they will be disciplined and fired no matter what the reason is.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo put it simply, realize the importance of quality over quantity. Quit thinking the only quality people around are the ones you hang out with. Finally, remake your "corporate culture" into one that truly embraces the people that make up that culture; not the dollars that finance it.

Worked for First American Payment Systems? Contribute to the Community!