First American Payment Systems Reviews

1. A Great Experience Working with FAPS and Subsidiaries. Very Few Cons

Former Employee - Multiple Positions During My III Years in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Multiple Positions During My III Years in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at First American Payment Systems

Pros

I took the first job that gave me an offer when I moved to TX and that was at FAPS. I started in the inbound call center.
     It was a slight pay cut, but $12.50/hour was nothing to sneeze at.
    Benefits are great. Now that I am no longer there, I miss them. The larger the company, the greater premium discount you get with your insurance costs so I was only paying about $35 per pay period. Now in a small company with little to no discount, I pay $280/mo.
    I regret not taking advantage of Tuition Reimbursement. If I remember correctly, 100% for A's, 75% for B's and 50% for C's.
    They reimbursed half of my gym membership up to $25, so my membership is $35, they reimbursed $17.50
    Very low stress job for the most part (see cons below for the times of stress)
    Huge variety of people and not hard to make friends in the work place
    Great opportunity for advancement. I see a lot of reviews that say you only get promoted if you are in a "clique." This is kind of true. But, if your numbers and scores are good, you won't get ignored. I was promoted to another position in the Call Center exactly when I hit my 6 month mark, which is the minimum requirement for promotion. After a year in that position, I was again promoted but to the Corporate office.
    Free Parking in Downtown Fort Worth. I will say that the free parking for the Call Center is way better than Corporate's Free Parking. Although, Corp can pay to park in the Garage and it is totally worth it, especially on extreme hot or cold days
    Overall, a great company to work for. I've recommended it to several family members or friends needing a job
    A degree is not required but it will really help build your resume

Cons

The call center takes Customer Service and Technical Calls. I am not very tech savvy, so the Tech part was challenging to me.
    Sometimes Business owners are just plain rude and treat you like a minimum wage servant. Most of the time, that is not the case, but when you get a rude one, they are really rude. These business owners will yell and curse at you, insult your integrity and blame your parents for bad parenting simply because their Credit Card machine was destroyed by flooding and now they have to pay for a new one and do not have insurance to cover their machine. Things like that.
    Sometimes the pricing can be difficult to understand if you are not familiar with Visa and MasterCard Interchange prices. I am, so it wasn't a huge deal, but many people struggled with it and did not understand the statements enough to explain it to a Customer which would mean the customer would call back later and you would have to do damage control.
    Attendance is a HUGE deal at the Call Center. Almost to the point of ridiculousness. People would get fired because of too many "occurrences" when each one of those were things like having to take their sick baby to the ER or stay home with said sick baby. Day Cares do not allow you to leave sick children. If you are on time and show up to work everyday, this will not be a problem. But every bit of attendance is monitored including breaks and lunches. Because it is an inbound call center they need to insure constant coverage on the phones, so it is understandable, but still a little extreme.
    Contracts are air tight and Customers are not really given full disclosure before signing. Yes, everything is there in writing, they sign multiple times on the contract and there is a lot of bold print in the contract. These are business owners, they should read their agreements. However, many sales reps just tell the client what they want to hear to get them to sign. This obviously causes multiple complaints and there is nothing that the Call Center or Retention Reps can do about it.

Attendance. I support the policy for the most part. However, when it comes to write-ups, I think there can be a little more leniency. If the Employee has sick time available and has a Doctor's note, it should not count against them as an "occurrence". I feel if you require a Doctor's note and available sick time to have an excused absence, it will show that you are trying to be considerate to employees when they have a legitimate health issue. Obviously understandable if the employee calls in for a headache on a Friday. But when one Employee comes in with the flu and passes it on to everyone, then more people get sick than necessary.

Technical: I think it would be beneficial to have it split either Customer Service OR Tech Support. Maybe some Employees who do both (maybe as a promotion opportunity). Most people are really only geared for one or the other. Which makes it a little disheartening for promotions too. Because Team Leads handle technical escalations and Supervisors handle Customer Service Escalations. So, if you are amazing at Customer Service and would make an excellent CS Supervisor, you may never have that opportunity if you struggle with the technical portion.

Sales Rep Issues. This is not going to change that I can see. As long as we have Independent Sales Reps who earn commission only, we will have shady Reps. However, I feel that each sales office should have an Office Sales Assistant like EMG, except every office instead of one per Region. That way the Customer has a place to go to talk to someone face to face even if their Rep is not available or no longer with the company. This OSA should be the Customer's point of Contact to help smooth things over and adjust pricing etc. The Customer should not have to contact Corporate to get things done or answered and they should not have to constantly call CS to ask for their rep to call them.

Contracts. I agree that everything in writing should be enforced to a large extent. However, I feel that if the Merchant never processed or at the very least never even installed, a general exception without Supervisor Review should be made. I also feel that if the business has closed, we should work with the owner on the cancellation fee. If they can prove that they are out of business, such as a Cancelled Tax ID or letter from the Chamber of Commerce, etc the fee should be waived or reduced. If the business is sold, it should not be. The business owner should have enough foresight to include any cancellation fees in their Bill of Sale. I also feel that the cancellation fee should be reduced once the account goes into the automatic renewal phase. For example, if they cancel within initial contract term, ie 3 years, full cancellation fees apply. If they cancel outside of terms but during the renewal, $100 per service etc. Just a suggestion.

Company Vibe: I do feel that there is a little bit of clique-ishness going on. I agree with a few reviews that say that there should be more restrictions on hiring friends and family. Most companies either do not allow this at all or only allow if at different locations or at the very least, different departments.

Overall, I had a very beneficial time working with FAPS and would still recommend working there. Most of the issues that I recommend to management are things that I was able to overcome or handle. Focus on hiring quality employees and sales Reps and you will probably have less issues or complaints.

2. Excellent Company, Great Culture, and Great People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at First American Payment Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I am proud to work at First American and I have personally recommend jobs here to two of my friends. I have been with First American for a little over a year now and I have been extremely pleased with my decision to join the team for the following reasons:
    - Excellent pay w/ bonuses
    - Culture feels like a family even though we are a larger company. I truly enjoy the people I work with and have a great time while at work.
    - Large and growing company with opportunities for advancement for those that work hard and seek new positions.
    - Excellent benefits (401K, PTO, Health, Dental, Tuition Reimbursement, ect.)
    - Located in downtown Ft. Worth within easy walking distance to numerous restaurants.
    - Knowledgeable supervisors who care about their employees success.

Cons

I have worked for several companies offering different cultures and, in my opinion, any negatives within our company are far out weighed by the positives. That being said, here are a couple:
    - IT needs more resources. As technology advances, we need the resources to stay ahead of the curve.
    - Some people within the organization operate off of the, "Because that's the way we have always done it," philosophy. If we want to continue to grow, we need to be agile and understand change is not a bad thing.

You have created an incredible organization to work for that has lasted for 25 years and has the potential to grow for decades to come. I thank you for the work that you all have put in to get us to where we are today. My advice follows the cons I have listed:

- Some people within the organization operate off of the, "Because that's the way we have always done it" philosophy. If we want to continue to grow, we need to be agile and understand change is not a bad thing.

First American Payment Systems Response

Mar 6, 2015VP of Human Resources

Thank you! We are so happy to hear you are having a great experience working here. We will certainly take your advice to heart moving forward. We're lucky to have you on our team!

3. Client Support Rep

I worked at First American Payment Systems

Pros

Some of the managers were awesome

Cons

too many personal issues in workplace

5. Great Place to work!!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at First American Payment Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Shawn Dillon the VP is extremely professional, goal oriented, cares about his people (priceless)!!
    - Great benefits; health insurance, tuition reimbursement.
    - Good work ethics!
    - Great people!

Cons

- Not a lot of cons, things get done and the systems works pretty well by itself.
    - Training needs to be improved.

FAPS is a great company with a whole lot of great people inside, people that care! The answer to constant improvement lays in your employees, ask them what can be done better.

First American Payment Systems Response

Mar 6, 2015VP of Human Resources

Thank you for this awesome review - we're glad you had such an amazing working experience at First American! We will certainly work on improving training - thanks for your input!

6. The Money is Real!

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Carrollton, TX

Pros

Pay: Bonuses are large and obtainable.

Cons

Hours: 55 hour work week minimum.

Way to many meetings.

7. Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at First American Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Good company to work for full of knowledgable, tenured, employees. Located downtown. Good benefits.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities because people rarely leave (Good and bad....) pay is a little low, but so is the stress.

8. OK Company to work for

I have been working at First American Payment Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, yearly bonus plan in place and consistently pay outs except for this year

Cons

Promotion availability, training, management buddy system

Be more involved, be straight forward, stop showing favoritism

Great company, but going down hill quickly

Current Employee - Operations in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Operations in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

1. People - I have worked at FAPS for many years now and the great people are what keeps me coming to work everyday. Some of my best friends I have met here.
    2. Health - gym membership reimbursement
    3. Tuition reimbursement - they pay up to 5500$ a year, but they recently changed the policy to only pay 100% for receiving "A's", B's are only 50%.
    4. PTO - For one of us that have been here a long time, getting 4 weeks of PTO plus sick and floating days is a lot

Cons

1. Stability - The stability has been going downhill very rapidly over the past 3 years.
             - No raises for 2014 = they cancelled all raises for the first time since I have been apart of this company. They announced this just before Christmas, after most us had already purchased presents for our kids. We rely on cost of living increases.
             - Bonus - there have been many whispers of the Bonus running between 25-50% normal, and some saying there might not be a bonus at all. For the past 5 years, the bonus has not been 100%, but never this bad. This has a lot of people nervous and considering there options with the company moving forward.
            - Hiring freeze = usually a hiring freeze goes into effect at the end of the year and falls off at the beginning of the year, this year we started out on one, which is putting a ton of pressure on us, since a lot of backfills are not getting filled either. We are having to tell our teams to work longer hours to make up for less people.
    2. Family relations among management - there are way to many father/daughter/son and Husband/Wife connections at FAPS. Over the years we have seen these affect the business in a negative way. There is a reason this is frowned upon in other companies.
    3. IT Systems - We constantly are having issues with our applications crashing or having errors. The computers also reboot for no reason, which sets us back hours in some cases because you can't save your work in these applications. Email and phones also do not work on a frequent basis. Can't communicate without these working. The IT Department has a very turnover rate is what we get told is the reason for theses issues.

Listen to your employees. We have great ideas, especially on fixing known constraints, but get brushed off. Be more upfront with us, with whispers of the company being for sale again, everyone is nervous.

Company has potential but is slowly in a downwind spiral

Former Employee - Cs Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Cs Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at First American Payment Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. Full Health Benefits for a small check deduction
    2. College Tuition Reimbursement
    3. Career Advancement Opportunities (See Cons)
    4. You won't go hungry. There are always food spreads, etc
    5. 401K
    6. Discounts Programs (T-Mobile, Sporting Events, etc)

Cons

1. Some Career Advancement Opportunities are given on a personal and not a professional level. Most, not all, Supervisors/Coordinators consist of a specific race/sexual orientation clique who like to influence upper management for their friends promotional opportunities
    2. Management/Supervisors develop sensual relationships with lower level employees
    3. Employees are "assigned or told" to complete projects outside of their day-day job requirements. Supervisors/Coordinators will take credit for the project, not the employee who completed it.
    4. Supervisors/Team Leads can be rude or arrogant towards lower level employees when they seek assistance on calls
    5. Company does not enforce its own policies (Everyone is on their cellphones and some dress unprofessional) Keep in mind, they deal with credit card information
    6. Company is in a "transitional phase" and has froze annual merit raises and bonuses yet nets millions in profits. *Thanks for telling them two weeks before Christmas. Employees rely on those funds as a COL (Cost of Living) increase* Are they going to sell the business?
    7. High turnover due to inadequate resources. Internal systems often freeze or are "down". This causes calls to stack up, higher hold times and can affects monthly call stats. Many employees find it frustrating and nothing is done about it. This is why we didn't like coming to work. Added stress that could be fixed but wont
    8. Must be at work, on time, even during bad weather (Rain, Sleet, Ice) No excuse
    9. Shady sales practices with sales representatives. (Summit, Transtech (TMG), EMG, etc). They will say anything to get your money. Non-cancellable leases on POS equipment
    10. Executive Board never sees the issues at the call center. They only make appearances during special occasions. Holidays, etc.
    11. LOTS MORE

Bring in a third party to evaluate your company. One that can tell you where the issues are and how to fix them. Fix your internal servers and systems. Production will increase. It will make for a smoother business.

11. I was promoted six times in three years.

Current Employee - Recruiter, Trainer, Product & Services, Sales Supervisor in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at First American Payment Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The sought out talent within company to promote.

Cons

I could not work seven days a week.

Your fabulous and thank you for the experience.

First American Payment Systems Photos