First American Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
2.8

First American CEO and Director Dennis J. Gilmore
Dennis J. Gilmore

Pros
  • My manager strives to make our work environment pleasant and very team oriented (in 7 reviews)

• If you want a "Big Company " name on your resume, this is a great place to start (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Dysfunctional senior management with too much focus on the wrong things (in 7 reviews)

• No work-life balance there at all (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the best place to work, nor the worst. The company is so large it's easy to get lost in the shuffle.

I have been working at First American full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The campus is quite beautiful. Nice cafe, makes it easy to never leave the campus. The company has been around for a very long time and provides an image of stability.

Cons

Company has layers and layers of bureaucracy. Little or no room for advancement. Headcount changes rapidly, depending on the market. Very small or zero merit increases each year. For years only upper management received increases. Average worker receives less than 2% while the senior management bonus pool is into the millions. Costs of Health Care are exorbitant.

Management is disengaged on an actual production level. Too much time being spent on HR promoting themselves, no actual improvement in working conditions.

Troubling signs

I have been working at First American full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The holidays are ok. Lots of training resources available through the company if you have the time to look at them. Great coworkers.

Cons

No shortage of managers, but it always seems like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Management doesn't seem to have reasonable expectations of workload which is an increasing issue resulting from multiple layoffs. I don't find management trustworthy after a few experiences, nor supportive in addressing larger operational concerns. You have to play the game to get ahead.

Benefits are going down the toilet. Deductibles are unreasonably high even in the top tier health plan.

Refocus some attention from the board to your employees. It's clear that the main goal is to make more money for your senior staff and investors, but that can't be done when your workforce is poorly managed, overworked and undervalued.

First American Trust, FSB holds the highest integrity of its clients and works to ensure all clients are pleased.

I have been working at First American

Pros

Great compensation, great benefits. First American Trust, FSB, treats their employees very well.

Cons

I do not have any CONS to list for this company.

I am pleased to say that upper management took the time to create a work-life balance and personal growth.

The best HR Department as they are excellent at what they do. Unfortunately the company doesn't hold a candle.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at First American full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice site. It's a beautiful campus and they have a nice salad bar. The vintage items and photographs are interesting.

Cons

The most incompetent management with the most cumbersome processes I've had to experience. My direct manager used more fear tactics than I thought appropriate. I also didn't like the religious leanings and lectures of coworkers. I had one tell me that my place as a woman was to serve men and I should look at my manager, no matter how incompetent, as a mission from god. I was also punished for doing my job better than my manager had when he executed the tasks prior to my hiring.

You need to be more involved with your employees. It seems you blindly put faith in the wrong people. There is so much room for improvement, but because people are emotionally invested in the way things are, they are not open to increasing efficiency and productivity. I recommend that HR is more honest during the interview process as well. This would prevent people from finding ways out of their contracts without financial hardship.

Friendly employees in a well to do area

I have been working at First American full-time

Pros

Family feel with coworkers in a relaxed environment

Cons

Not much upside career potential. Does not help career growth

More transparency between executive level management and constituents

I worked at First American during the good times - for 18 years, until 2008.

Former Employee - Administrator in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Administrator in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at First American full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I cannot address the current Pros of working for this company. However, when I left in 2008, there were very few pros. Downsizing had been going on for five years. Raises and bonuses had been withheld from anyone below management for the same length of time. This began after the company went public and under the reign of the current CEO.

Cons

There is absolutely no loyalty. The company once considered its long-term employees as their greatest assets and treated them accordingly - good salaries, substantial raises and bonuses across-the board. The first people to get the axe were the long-term employees, the ones with the history and background of the company.

Respect and appreciate your employees as Don and Parker Kennedy appreciated them.

Nice place to work.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at First American full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Managers allow you to work autonomously. Nice campus and great cafeteria.

Cons

Average pay. Very few promotional opportunities.

Watch the competion and move toward a more focused environment toward the customer's perspective.

Best Place to Work in Orange County! Not!

Current Employee - Senior Director in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at First American full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Clean Campus, decent cafeteria, free jeans every Friday if you contribute $5 to charity of the month.

Cons

Heads roll on a regualar basis come December since Executive Management needs to meet Wall Street expectations.

Good but insular, way too much office politics

Former Employee - Business Systems Consultant in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Business Systems Consultant in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at First American as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Nice campus, good cafeteria, decent pantry

Cons

Lays off people too much, very cost conscious - people have to use up their saved up time off, favoritism is rampant, office politics is so tiresome. Not team oriented, people wont hesitate to sell out each other to save their own backs. Month to month basis only on many contract workers.

Foster team spirit, and cut back on the favoritism already!

Trapped in time

I have been working at First American full-time

Pros

This is a very old and established company. They own everyone in the title and won't be going out of business in the next 100 years. Decent working hours, great cafe, beautiful grounds, flexible schedule, okay benefits. Getting a foot in the door is hard, but once your in, your in.

Cons

Upper management is a huge problem, they all have pope jobs and aren't going anywhere. They get big yearly bonuses the size of your yearly income while you are told you there is no budget for a small raise. Nepotism exists big time here and that won't be changing anytime soon. On your first day you are branded, so if you start at the bottom, thats where you are staying. You are who your manager is. Period.

Stop behaving and wishing it was still1950. A progressive environment and mindset is the only thing that will grow this company.

First American Photos

Outside the First American Corporation headquarter office in Santa Ana, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.22)
Night Time