First American
www.firstam.com Santa Ana, CA 5000+ Employees

First American Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
First American – Santa Ana – “Outside the First American Corporation…”

First American CEO and Director Dennis J. Gilmore

Dennis J. Gilmore

Pros:
  • "My manager strives to make our work environment pleasant and very team oriented"
    in 7 reviews
  • "If you want a "Big Company " name on your resume, this is a great place to start"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Extremely high turnover, Low Pay"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Senior management does not have a firm grasp on goals, which causes the company's direction to change constantly"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

little room for advancement

I have been working at First American

Prosorganized, good training, good co workers

Conslow pay, takes a long time to become permanent employee

A good place to start

Help Desk (Current Employee)

I have been working at First American full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you want to work on all Microsoft platforms and networks, this is a good place for a Computer User Specialist. First American will not only test but add to your skill set.

ConsPay is less than national average and no COLA.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead as a team.

Some of the best recruiters... my worst career experience.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at First American full-time for more than a year

ProsThe recruiters are AMAZING! They talk about the culture like it is something to leave any job for. The campus is beautiful and filled with fabulous antiques and old pictures. Some of my peers were pretty fun people who kept me sane. The salad bar in the cafe is pretty good.

ConsUnder the shiny shell, it is a very poor company to work for. The benefits are bad and they keep getting cut a little more each year. The management are nowhere near experienced or talented enough to take on the roles that they have been assigned. They have no documented policies and procedures (except very vague, amorphous thoughts on ideas to perform), so these procedures change from day to day. There is no accountability from management. They will throw you under the bus to protect their own hide, even if they are the ones that instructed you incorrectly. The way they do things is also antique. They are extremely resistant to change; the way they want things done lacks material security protocols yet somehow manages to waste an excruciatingly immense waste of time. Communication is poor. They do not provide any kind of organizational charts for very sketchy reasons. They are completely unorganized. Management borders on harassment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized. Manage your managers. Take accountability. Don't let your personal issues affect the way you treat people. Stop the loophole stuff as it's doing more harm than good.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Best place to work.

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at First American full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLove working for First American. Great culture and an organization that treats its employees with respect.

ConsStressful summers durring our busy season.

I do not recommend this company.

Receptionist (Former Employee)
Midvale, UT

I worked at First American full-time for more than a year

ProsThe first office I worked in was wonderful and so were the people.

ConsDo not have any medical conditions, they will lay you off and then tell you it is due to restructuring. They will also tell you that you will be brought back as soon as a position opens up and that they will be on the lookout for any other jobs that you may fit. It was all a lie. They couldn't fire me due to my medical problems, so they laid me off.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn this particular office, the clique that they have needs to be more open to new employees. Also, the manager could do more communicating with new hires.

Overall, good company

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First American full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat insight on all that happens in the real estate services side

ConsLimited in your division. You must at least get to know people outside your division.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the basics.

Incredible company, great opportunities, lots of room for growth

National Account Director (Sales) (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at First American full-time for less than a year

ProsDay 1 when you onboard, you get a laptop, iPhone, any accessories you want and need, and platinum coated benefits with industry leading pay. The work is interesting, the culture is excellent and the company values its employees and reputation, they work hard at it. Even ex employees look back fondly...The other awesome thing about selling here is that they value people who bring production in, and I have a lifetime residual comp plan. That's fantastic and motivating.

ConsNone yet for me personally, but all companies have warts and if you get into upper management, there may be some political maneuvering that you'll have to do. But, when you are that high and dealing with that, you probably won't care because you'll be getting paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue making First American a place where achievement is rewarded, and tenure is less prized, and you'll continue the great tradition of excellence.

A learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at First American full-time for more than a year

ProsRarely had to work outside of normal 8-5 hours, but when it was required there was no paid overtime.

ConsStagnated industry full of older men. Senior management does not have a firm grasp on goals, which causes the company's direction to change constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your younger employees

Deceiving

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at First American full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBeautifully maintained corporate headquarters; employees have everything they need to do their jobs.

ConsDon't believe management's rhetoric about the company's "kind work culture." Below the shiny, happy veneer lurks other intentions: planned layoffs, benefits reductions, etc. Many other employees have posted postive comments in this forum (Glassdoor.com), but they have not yet experienced what I've experienced, and are essentially "drinking the KoolAid."

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent. Walk the talk.

My experience at FA was a great learning experience & helped to develop my analytical strengths.

Title Escrow (Current Employee)
New Orleans, LA

I have been working at First American full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat team environment able to provide my finance background to apply towards job with specific duties to develop my understanding of title research & real estate closings.

ConsThis was a great job, but was only a temporary project job.

Worked for First American? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First American reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for First American CEO Dennis J. Gilmore. All 81 reviews posted anonymously by First American employees.