First American

Updated January 27, 2015
3.1

First American CEO and Director Dennis J. Gilmore
Dennis J. Gilmore

Pros
  • My manager strives to make our work environment pleasant and very team oriented (in 7 reviews)

• If you want a "Big Company " name on your resume, this is a great place to start (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Dysfunctional senior management with too much focus on the wrong things (in 7 reviews)

• No work-life balance there at all (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Feels like family

I worked at First American

Pros

Company adapts to changing market. Employee assistance always available.

Cons

Pay raises are few and far between.

I loved working here

I worked at First American

Pros

I enjoyed the work environment

Cons

There really wasn't any down side to working here.

Good place to work

I worked at First American

Pros

It is an environment of intelligent people that are easy to work with.

Cons

Lack of better promotional opportunities.

It was a job

I have been working at First American

Pros

Overall it was a Good learning opportunity.

Cons

Long hours meant terrible work/life balance.

It was a job

I worked at First American

Pros

It served it's purpose while I was there.

Cons

Management wasn't truthful to clients & left the employees to clean up the mess. They liked to play the avoiding game when it came to problems. Upper management in my opinion was aware & instead of doing something about it, gave them promotions & raises.

Best place to work? Not.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at First American full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The campus is really pretty, nice location close to the freeway and South Coast Plaza. Fantastic cafe great salad bar. Many historic pictures from the 1800's it's a very nice touch.

Cons

The Management in my department has been around for 30 years, and are archaic in their thinking. No current knowledge. Little or no room for advancement. Most of the managers, in my department anyways, are on retirement track with no interest in improvement, remain disengaged, unethical and deceitful.

Follow through on employee engagement surveys. The department is management heavy, not enough actual workers. Management sets a horrible example from the few hours actually at work in the office and available, to the constant gossip about employees and other managers.

None of us is as dumb as all of us!

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at First American full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pretty campus. Good location. Good IT support and the recruiters are amazing at what they do.

Cons

The recruiters are amazing at what they do. They will lie, cheat, steal, do whatever it takes to get you there and trap you to work for a place that is nothing as it was represented. I had to purposefully screw up repeatedly to get out of there without refunding the sign-on bonus. If I had the time, I would sue for misrepresentation. Management have no clue what they are doing! It's like the blind leading the blind! Yes, this company is just like family... a very dysfunctional and abusive family!

Stop being threatened by those that can do their job better than you! Good managers hire people more knowledgeable than themselves.

Troubling signs

I have been working at First American full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The holidays are ok. Lots of training resources available through the company if you have the time to look at them. Great coworkers.

Cons

No shortage of managers, but it always seems like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Management doesn't seem to have reasonable expectations of workload which is an increasing issue resulting from multiple layoffs. I don't find management trustworthy after a few experiences, nor supportive in addressing larger operational concerns. You have to play the game to get ahead.

Benefits are going down the toilet. Deductibles are unreasonably high even in the top tier health plan.

Refocus some attention from the board to your employees. It's clear that the main goal is to make more money for your senior staff and investors, but that can't be done when your workforce is poorly managed, overworked and undervalued.

Seems pretty awesome fun peolple.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at First American

Pros

Very good training very excited

Cons

None so far so good

I would go back to work for this company as they have loyalty to their employees. It's a great company in my opinion.

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Largo, FL

I worked at First American full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Their benefits and employee perks are good. They have nice websites to keep you informed with company news. They have health websites that you participate for reducing your costs in health care. The employees I worked with were fantastic. It was sad they had to close offices and lay off employees, but they maintained their seasoned employees and laid off the workers that had recently been hired, which is not the norm in corporate society. They even provided a small severance package and I had only been employed for 1 year.

Cons

They brought in management from outside and I feel they could have made better choices from the pool of employees we already had established. The chance for advancement wasn't so great in our area.

More structured training would be helpful.

First American Photos

Outside the First American Corporation headquarter office in Santa Ana, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.22)
Night Time