First American

First American Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

First American CEO and Director Dennis J. Gilmore

Dennis J. Gilmore

Pros
  • My manager strives to make our work environment pleasant and very team oriented(in 7 reviews)

• If you want a "Big Company " name on your resume, this is a great place to start(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance there at all(in 4 reviews)

• low pay, takes a long time to become permanent employee(in 6 reviews)

Incredible company, great opportunities, lots of room for growth

National Account Director (Sales) (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsDay 1 when you onboard, you get a laptop, iPhone, any accessories you want and need, and platinum coated benefits with industry leading pay. The work is interesting, the culture is excellent and the company values its employees and reputation, they work hard at it. Even ex employees look back fondly...The other awesome thing about selling here is that they value people who bring production in, and I have a lifetime residual comp plan. That's fantastic and motivating.

ConsNone yet for me personally, but all companies have warts and if you get into upper management, there may be some political maneuvering that you'll have to do. But, when you are that high and dealing with that, you probably won't care because you'll be getting paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue making First American a place where achievement is rewarded, and tenure is less prized, and you'll continue the great tradition of excellence.

Great leadership, great coworkers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTop notch forward thinking leadership. Since the late 1880's the company was established and still doing great things today.

ConsNot much to say here. its is too bad that the market crashed, even though they have survived and thrived, it could have been even better had things not crashed.

It was a plesant experience to work in this company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is one of the best, within city limits, for those who are located closeby and convenient shift timimgs, work atmosphere is at its best.

ConsThe cafetaria then had limited options some healthy food was not available.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo have more facilities in the cafetaria, sick room

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Great Place to Work

ProsBenefits are excellent. If you are in the right position, it is a stable career.

ConsLow pay, no raises for over 3 years! GRRR. Many positions are subject to layoff due to market volatility. If you are not in one of those positions, it's a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your "most valuable resources" a PAY INCREASE!! We're dyin' over here.

QA Engineer

QA Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros1. Flexible work timings
    2. Good work Culture

Cons1. Pay is comparatively less
    2. Beaware of team polotocs

Advice to Senior Management1. Listen to all the employees and try to implement concerns of employees

little room for advancement

Prosorganized, good training, good co workers

Conslow pay, takes a long time to become permanent employee

Great Work Environment.

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsA very well balanced work life

ConsImproper communication channels. Information flow is not proper from the Sr. management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everybody equally and fairly

Best place to work.

Account Manager (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsLove working for First American. Great culture and an organization that treats its employees with respect.

ConsStressful summers durring our busy season.

Overall, good company

Sales Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat insight on all that happens in the real estate services side

ConsLimited in your division. You must at least get to know people outside your division.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the basics.

My experience at FA was a great learning experience & helped to develop my analytical strengths.

Title Escrow (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsGreat team environment able to provide my finance background to apply towards job with specific duties to develop my understanding of title research & real estate closings.

ConsThis was a great job, but was only a temporary project job.

Worked for First American? Contribute to the Community!