First American

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015

First American CEO and Director Dennis J. Gilmore
Dennis J. Gilmore

Pros
  • My manager strives to make our work environment pleasant and very team oriented (in 7 reviews)

• If you want a "Big Company " name on your resume, this is a great place to start (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Dysfunctional senior management with too much focus on the wrong things (in 7 reviews)

• No work-life balance there at all (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved working here

I worked at First American

Pros

I enjoyed the work environment

Cons

There really wasn't any down side to working here.

Seems pretty awesome fun peolple.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at First American

Pros

Very good training very excited

Cons

None so far so good

I would go back to work for this company as they have loyalty to their employees. It's a great company in my opinion.

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Largo, FL

I worked at First American full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Their benefits and employee perks are good. They have nice websites to keep you informed with company news. They have health websites that you participate for reducing your costs in health care. The employees I worked with were fantastic. It was sad they had to close offices and lay off employees, but they maintained their seasoned employees and laid off the workers that had recently been hired, which is not the norm in corporate society. They even provided a small severance package and I had only been employed for 1 year.

Cons

They brought in management from outside and I feel they could have made better choices from the pool of employees we already had established. The chance for advancement wasn't so great in our area.

More structured training would be helpful.

First American Trust, FSB holds the highest integrity of its clients and works to ensure all clients are pleased.

I have been working at First American

Pros

Great compensation, great benefits. First American Trust, FSB, treats their employees very well.

Cons

I do not have any CONS to list for this company.

I am pleased to say that upper management took the time to create a work-life balance and personal growth.

Incredible company, great opportunities, lots of room for growth

Current Employee - National Account Director (Sales) in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - National Account Director (Sales) in San Diego, CA

I have been working at First American full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Day 1 when you onboard, you get a laptop, iPhone, any accessories you want and need, and platinum coated benefits with industry leading pay. The work is interesting, the culture is excellent and the company values its employees and reputation, they work hard at it. Even ex employees look back fondly...The other awesome thing about selling here is that they value people who bring production in, and I have a lifetime residual comp plan. That's fantastic and motivating.

Cons

None yet for me personally, but all companies have warts and if you get into upper management, there may be some political maneuvering that you'll have to do. But, when you are that high and dealing with that, you probably won't care because you'll be getting paid.

Continue making First American a place where achievement is rewarded, and tenure is less prized, and you'll continue the great tradition of excellence.

Great leadership, great coworkers

I worked at First American full-time

Pros

Top notch forward thinking leadership. Since the late 1880's the company was established and still doing great things today.

Cons

Not much to say here. its is too bad that the market crashed, even though they have survived and thrived, it could have been even better had things not crashed.

It was a plesant experience to work in this company.

I worked at First American full-time

Pros

It is one of the best, within city limits, for those who are located closeby and convenient shift timimgs, work atmosphere is at its best.

Cons

The cafetaria then had limited options some healthy food was not available.

To have more facilities in the cafetaria, sick room

A Great Place to Work

I have been working at First American

Pros

Benefits are excellent. If you are in the right position, it is a stable career.

Cons

Low pay, no raises for over 3 years! GRRR. Many positions are subject to layoff due to market volatility. If you are not in one of those positions, it's a great place to work.

Give your "most valuable resources" a PAY INCREASE!! We're dyin' over here.

Solid and stable organization with strong financials and market share within the industry

Current Employee - Business Development in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at First American full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for and overall they really do care about their employees, I like the various giving back to the community. Leadership training and development programs

Cons

With the company being so large, there are challenges with layers of bureaucracy, it can become frustrating in bringing new ideas to the write executive for consideration and execution.

There needs to be a roadmap to promote younger (vibrant) executive leadership for the next generation lead.

Great place to work and grow

I have been working at First American

Pros

Awesome work environment the generally rewards excellence in their employees.

Cons

Still growing and creating processes. Many changes happening, though they are good changes.

Continue to drive process improvement and create a positive working environment where everyone has a voice.

First American Photos

Outside the First American Corporation headquarter office in Santa Ana, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.22)
Night Time