First American

First American Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

First American CEO and Director Dennis J. Gilmore

Dennis J. Gilmore

Pros
  • My manager strives to make our work environment pleasant and very team oriented(in 7 reviews)

• If you want a "Big Company " name on your resume, this is a great place to start(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance there at all(in 4 reviews)

• low pay, takes a long time to become permanent employee(in 6 reviews)

Best Place to Work in Orange County! Not!

Senior Director (Current Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsClean Campus, decent cafeteria, free jeans every Friday if you contribute $5 to charity of the month.

ConsHeads roll on a regualar basis come December since Executive Management needs to meet Wall Street expectations.

Not a great one

Contractor (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsJob Security is Good
    Good if you are working on Microsoft technologies

ConsNo transparency in management employee relationship
    No Scope to learn New technology
    Growth is very less
    They wont make you permanent until you quit

QA Engineer

QA Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros1. Flexible work timings
    2. Good work Culture

Cons1. Pay is comparatively less
    2. Beaware of team polotocs

Advice to Senior Management1. Listen to all the employees and try to implement concerns of employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsThere are 3 shifts - morning, noon and night - of 8 hours each in a day compared to normal 9 hours of work in other companies. The company provides pick and drop cab facility for its employees. Work load is relatively less.

ConsOpportunities to advance one's career growth are few. The company doesn't offer perks or other benefits. Proportion of variable pay is high in overall cost-to-company (CTC).

Worst Experience

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Prosexposure to tools and learning experience

ConsHR and upper managements are together, any complaint against Manager or higher will be communicated offthe grid to the same manager. HRs and manager threats to not to disclose anything in exit interview. they don't even pay final settlement on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and let someone better come and change the environment,

Trapped in time

ProsThis is a very old and established company. They own everyone in the title and won't be going out of business in the next 100 years. Decent working hours, great cafe, beautiful grounds, flexible schedule, okay benefits. Getting a foot in the door is hard, but once your in, your in.

ConsUpper management is a huge problem, they all have pope jobs and aren't going anywhere. They get big yearly bonuses the size of your yearly income while you are told you there is no budget for a small raise. Nepotism exists big time here and that won't be changing anytime soon. On your first day you are branded, so if you start at the bottom, thats where you are staying. You are who your manager is. Period.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop behaving and wishing it was still1950. A progressive environment and mindset is the only thing that will grow this company.

Not as great as it seems

ProsLarge established company, cafe on campus that's decent

ConsBelow average pay, below average benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more to the employees.

Good but insular, way too much office politics

Business Systems Consultant (Former Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsNice campus, good cafeteria, decent pantry

ConsLays off people too much, very cost conscious - people have to use up their saved up time off, favoritism is rampant, office politics is so tiresome. Not team oriented, people wont hesitate to sell out each other to save their own backs. Month to month basis only on many contract workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster team spirit, and cut back on the favoritism already!

Decent working environment and job security, but lower pay and no room for growth

Data Quality Analyst (Current Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsAlmost everyone is polite and cordial, and the corporate campus is very nice. The company seems very accommodating of those with disabilities/differences, which is always good. Employment can be very secure, and you generally have a lot of latitude over how you do your work. At certain times or with certain people/groups, the work/life balance is good.

ConsManagement/HR seem to be playing moneyball with hiring technical talent, which makes sense from a financial POV, but pay/benefits are below market and there's no COLA. One of the upsides, job security, is likely because of lower than average pay.

Advancement seems to be somewhat difficult because those fortunate enough to be in management positions have both decent pay and job security, and aren't going anywhere. Management seems to be a little good-old-boy'ish, and it's very difficult to move internally unless you're either so good the company can't ignore you, or really lucky. The flip side is that someone good enough to not be ignored could also make more someplace else.

Work life balance can be good, but if the business really wants you and/or your group working on something, forget about it.

I have a sneaking suspicion executive management view some groups ( for instance IT) as resources instead of partners, but I suppose that's true at many companies. I think the image of being a great place to work is very well cultivated, but not accurate in many ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarket share and stock price aren't the only parts of a great company, although given the bonus structure, I can see why those are of so much interest. Ignoring/letting go of talent, either because of politics or finances, may hurt the company's long term health.

Not the one for beginners, but pretty good pay-scale.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe company is well established, process oriented and provides job security . It provides a sense of permanent employment guarantee that people around are stuck at the same place from past 10 to 15 years.

Consnarrow minded people, they don't care about the issue being fixed or not, they just want to do postmortem of the issue and blame the people who are involved in that project. Poor management decisions and stuck up managers, who are unfit to take technological decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring new people , don't stuck up with the old age management ideas, give people an opportunity to show creative and opportunities instead of following the process.

Worked for First American? Contribute to the Community!