First American Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014

2.7

First American CEO and Director Dennis J. Gilmore
Dennis J. Gilmore

Pros
  • My manager strives to make our work environment pleasant and very team oriented (in 7 reviews)

• If you want a "Big Company " name on your resume, this is a great place to start (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance there at all (in 4 reviews)

• low pay, takes a long time to become permanent employee (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst Place Ever. Like High School Again.

I worked at First American

Pros

None other than the pretty office.

Cons

Watch your back at this place. It is like swimming in a shark tank. Employees are not valued. People are fired and layed off almost daily with no reason and no dignity.

This is NOT highschool

Former Employee - IT Manager  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at First American full-time for more than a year

Pros

What a pretty campus in a great location! The pay was okay, but could be better. They have been around for a long time.

Cons

Terrible management, most of which have no idea what they are doing, who manipulates situations to take advantage of you! Dysfunctional senior management with too much focus on the wrong things. Responsibilities are increased without the corresponding increase in authority. The skilled are not promoted. High turnover rate. No respect for employees. Appearance is more important than results (they choose to measure work hours, meeting attendance, or the appearance that work over actual productivity, which takes away from actual productivity). No feedback or guidance. No rewards or successes for hard work.

Clear and concise communication is KEY! Work is a place for work; do not punish employees who do not want to socialize during their off hours. Look people in the eye when communicating, staring at their shoes or their chest is inappropriate. A little more honesty during the interview process would help your high turnover rate!

Some of the best recruiters... my worst career experience.

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at First American full-time for more than a year

Pros

The recruiters are AMAZING! They talk about the culture like it is something to leave any job for. The campus is beautiful and filled with fabulous antiques and old pictures. Some of my peers were pretty fun people who kept me sane. The salad bar in the cafe is pretty good.

Cons

Under the shiny shell, it is a very poor company to work for. The benefits are bad and they keep getting cut a little more each year. The management are nowhere near experienced or talented enough to take on the roles that they have been assigned. They have no documented policies and procedures (except very vague, amorphous thoughts on ideas to perform), so these procedures change from day to day. There is no accountability from management. They will throw you under the bus to protect their own hide, even if they are the ones that instructed you incorrectly. The way they do things is also antique. They are extremely resistant to change; the way they want things done lacks material security protocols yet somehow manages to waste an excruciatingly immense waste of time. Communication is poor. They do not provide any kind of organizational charts for very sketchy reasons. They are completely unorganized. Management borders on harassment.

Get organized. Manage your managers. Take accountability. Don't let your personal issues affect the way you treat people. Stop the loophole stuff as it's doing more harm than good.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I do not recommend this company.

Former Employee - Receptionist  in  Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Midvale, UT

I worked at First American full-time for more than a year

Pros

The first office I worked in was wonderful and so were the people.

Cons

Do not have any medical conditions, they will lay you off and then tell you it is due to restructuring. They will also tell you that you will be brought back as soon as a position opens up and that they will be on the lookout for any other jobs that you may fit. It was all a lie. They couldn't fire me due to my medical problems, so they laid me off.

In this particular office, the clique that they have needs to be more open to new employees. Also, the manager could do more communicating with new hires.

Best place to work.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at First American full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Love working for First American. Great culture and an organization that treats its employees with respect.

Cons

Stressful summers durring our busy season.

Overall, good company

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great insight on all that happens in the real estate services side

Cons

Limited in your division. You must at least get to know people outside your division.

Stick to the basics.

Incredible company, great opportunities, lots of room for growth

Current Employee - National Account Director (Sales)  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - National Account Director (Sales) in San Diego, CA

I have been working at First American full-time for less than a year

Pros

Day 1 when you onboard, you get a laptop, iPhone, any accessories you want and need, and platinum coated benefits with industry leading pay. The work is interesting, the culture is excellent and the company values its employees and reputation, they work hard at it. Even ex employees look back fondly...The other awesome thing about selling here is that they value people who bring production in, and I have a lifetime residual comp plan. That's fantastic and motivating.

Cons

None yet for me personally, but all companies have warts and if you get into upper management, there may be some political maneuvering that you'll have to do. But, when you are that high and dealing with that, you probably won't care because you'll be getting paid.

Continue making First American a place where achievement is rewarded, and tenure is less prized, and you'll continue the great tradition of excellence.

A learning experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at First American full-time for more than a year

Pros

Rarely had to work outside of normal 8-5 hours, but when it was required there was no paid overtime.

Cons

Stagnated industry full of older men. Senior management does not have a firm grasp on goals, which causes the company's direction to change constantly.

Invest more in your younger employees

Way too much micromanaging

I worked at First American full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Steady 8 hours and 5 days a week, not stressful at all.

Cons

Way too much micromanagement from superiors

Actually do your job instead of micromanaging

Deceiving

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at First American full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautifully maintained corporate headquarters; employees have everything they need to do their jobs.

Cons

Don't believe management's rhetoric about the company's "kind work culture." Below the shiny, happy veneer lurks other intentions: planned layoffs, benefits reductions, etc. Many other employees have posted postive comments in this forum (Glassdoor.com), but they have not yet experienced what I've experienced, and are essentially "drinking the KoolAid."

Be more transparent. Walk the talk.

Worked for First American? Contribute to the Community!