First American Title

First American Title Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

First American Title CEO Dennis J. Gilmore

Dennis J. Gilmore

Pros:
  • "Good benefits , 401k match if you are lucky enough to work full time"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Good people there trying to make it better"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "There didn't seem to be much room for advancement unless you completed a degree"
    in 5 reviews
  • "There is no room for growth unless you are a 'yes man' who will do what you are told without question"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Clarity

I have been working at First American Title

ProsPeople are nice and there are a lot of people who are loyal to the company.

ConsCompany goals are stated by the CEO, but the rest of the organization isn't aligned to them.

Postive and progressive working environment

Title Examiner (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at First American Title full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFirst American is a very progressive & diverse land title company, always looking to inprove quality and turn times. In my department, my manager is very communicative and encourages self growth and improvement in title & with vendors.

Consmany times the technology does not communicate well with other systems when needed.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Very knowledgeable upper management always willing to share their experience with their staff.

Escrow Assistant (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at First American Title full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe tools that FATCO offers their employees are top notch. They encourage staff to educate themselves, and make it part of the personal growth/development in yearly reviews.Their computer program 'FAST' is the most superior title/escrow program I have had the privilege of working on in my 13 year escrow career.

ConsOver the years, the company implemented certain policies that require staff to use offshore processing with the idea of creating more efficiency within the escrow branch. They have a yearly 'lay off' season, so if you did not use this mandatory process, or resisted upper management in any way, you were first to be 'laid off' when business slowed down. It is important to maintain a positive attitude or you become a target. There are not too many opportunities to advance.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience and Poor Experience

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at First American Title full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe best reasons to work at First American Title is that they offered decent salaries and excellent benefits. Also for being such a large company I truly did feel like they placed great importance on family and family obligations. They did their best to let employees have the time they needed if a personal/family issue arose.

ConsOne of the most disturbing trends with this company is their tendency to hire family and friends who are not qualified, over internal staff. I was completely shocked by how many people in our office alone were blood relatives. It explained why someone who was a manager, with little to no experience at their job, often became a manager. Also, they "police" employees. You could work through lunch, work 4 hours of overtime and come in on the weekend, but if you walked in a minute late (and I mean truly one minute) you would be scolded like a child in front of your peers. They tended to worry about the little things and not enough about the big things. Many of the managers, probably because they weren’t qualified, focused on micro managing and not boosting up their valued employees. It was shame to witness great hardworking adults be torn down for poor reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy best advice would be to put your staff above egos. Never treat your employees like you know more about their job UNLESS you have done or are doing their current job. Also, if you are facing a layoff, do not use it as an opportunity to constantly remind the remaining employees "they are lucky to still work here". This seemed to be some regionally agreed upon motivational technique. I can speak for the many of us who did not get laid off that it had the exact opposite effect. It caused constant fear and anxiety. Again, build and praise your best people. They are your most valuable asset.

Satisfied

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at First American Title full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe work environment (at least on my team) was good. I had a wonderful manager who really knew how to manage people. The not so great thing about First Am is that they have frequent lay offs which is somewhat sad.

ConsI wish they paid better.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the people that work for you know that it is their hard work that makes the company successful.

Review Of Former Employee

Senior Account Representative (Former Employee)
Springfield, IL

I worked at First American Title full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI enjoyed working with all my clients and coworkers

ConsClients wanted things done very quickly

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Could be much better

Clerk (Former Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I worked at First American Title as a contractor for less than a year

ProsDecent pay, overtime, flexible hours, good location, very casual dress code

ConsUnprofessional coworkers, favoritism, gossiping, some truly nasty behavior by certain employees towards certain coworkers, which anywhere else would cause offending employee to be fired.

Employees and even team leaders allowed to spread rumors and bully people based on race, sexual orientation, or weight, with no consequences by senior management. Felt like being back in high school.

People promoted or given choice work assignments, because of who they hang out with after work or who they eat lunch with, not because of what they actually know.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce the rules fairly. Certain employees should not be allowed to treat coworkers any way they want, just because they hang out and drink with higher ups on weekends.

Good company

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee)
Pleasanton, CA

I worked at First American Title for more than 3 years

ProsNice people, family environment, good pace

ConsHard to get ahead and feel stuck in role

Lots of ups and downs, its very much about who you know

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at First American Title full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTheir is some ability to grow within the company. A college degree is not required.

ConsVery low pay, constant changes in management and instability in the market have made things very challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee Recognition needs to be increased. Management makes a lot of short term promises that they often don't follow through on.

Family oriented, conservative company with long term employees

Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at First American Title full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you make it past three years with the company, you are more likely to stay there until retirement.

Really great environment.

Best benefits and perks you will find, 401K matching, incentives for staying healthy, and much much more.

Have an internal site dedicated to developing employees and training them.

ConsBecause it is a traditional company and how business in real estate is done, it is a challenge getting everyone aligned within the digital space. It just takes longer to bring everyone up to par on that.

Worked for First American Title? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First American Title reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for First American Title CEO Dennis J. Gilmore. All 108 reviews posted anonymously by First American Title employees.