First Banks

Updated May 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Terry McCarthy

Good company to work for, but change is coming

Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) Concord, CA

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, flexible with school schedule, goals are not as harsh as other places, community based, pay is okay, and it's not all about sell, sell, and sell.

ConsNew CEO, changing the direction of the company, wants to increases goals and quotas like the big banks without actually doing anything to make the bank a big bank, the pay does not compensate for what the change is going to do to people's jobs.

Been there Done That

Teller (Current Employee) Kirkwood, MO

Prosgreat customers and co workers

Consmanagment just seems to sit around and let everyone do all the work while they run around and socialize, play on their phones and computers. Worse management I've ever work with

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to keep an eye on your branch managers.

Decent Company

Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe people that work there are very nice.

ConsThere is no room for growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work hard or not, get paid the same

ProsI work some very good people, smart people who can get the job done. The work is interesting.

ConsBut it also doesn't pay very well for the amount of work you do. Some departments seem to get away with doing nothing while others can hardly take a break. Some coworkers don't pull their weight, but everyone seems to get the same raise, if anyone does, no matter how good or bad their review is. That doesn't seem fair.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those who really try to make the company better. It's been too long since anybody got a decent raise. The cost of groceries, utilities and gas to get to work eats up more than the little bump we get every year, if we're lucky.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

First Bank

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsOk place to work at.

ConsNeeds to promote from within first

A very friendly, supportive family-owned bank

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsSenior Management consistently communicates with all employees, sharing the bank's challenges, accomplishments, etc. The various department managers are very approachable, and share the same work ethic- do whats best for the customers and First Bank

ConsThe salaries aren't as high as other banks; the various systems and software is fairly old, compared to peer banks

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate to the staff on how the bank is performing, please do some advertising in Florida- the First Bank name is not well known.

Risky to work there right now

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsMany of the employees are truly wonderful, caring people dedicated to doing their best each dayto help the customers and their coworkers.

The locations I've visited are comfortable, and easy to work in, but some of the branches inside the grocery stores are quite small.

The training offered is pretty extensive and well done. You can tell the trainers really want to help you do a good job and learn what you need to know.

Senior managment is pretty good about communicating information, especially in such an "up and down" time with so much instability.

Benefit package was okay.

Like many other companies, it all depends on your manager and his or her boss - many are willing to fight for their employees to get them what they want.

ConsWith the economic recession hitting hard, the company has lost a LOT of money - millions and millions of dollars over the last several quarters. Which means they aren't investing in anyone 401k, no real raises to speak of and no money for tutition reimbursement, outside training classes, etc.

They are in huge cost cutting mode (mid 2010) - while I'd worked there for several years and always had positive annual reviews, I was laid off, in part because my salary was on the high end in my department and they saved more by letting me go than someone with less experience.

The salaries are quite low, but comparable to other banks - just keep in mind that banks don't make a lot of money by paying employees a lot of money (and a good raise at First Bank generally means 2% - in those years they are willing to give them.)

From what I saw, there isn't a lot of accountability at the company (many managers do what they should because that's who they are), and a lot of managers there don't care, don't follow the rules (or worse - some commonly break the rules), don't get results and aren't held accountable for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a culture with more accountability - when someone, some department or some group is supposed to do something, make sure they have and don't let one group get away with not doing it when another group went out of their way to do their best and make it happen. That kind of unfairness creates division and separation and will tear the company apart.

Good company to work for if you're in school.

Customer Service Representative I (Former Employee) Florissant, MO

ProsFlexible with work schedule.
    Nice people to work with.
    Informed on latest banking goals to meet and how to meet them.
    I was able to work at a different branch if i needed more hours.

ConsIf you're a teller, it's kind of hard to move from retail banking into the corporate division unless you've worked there for about 5 years.

Not allowed more than a certain percentage raise during review time each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that some of the marketing the bank used was kind of out dated and it didn't take each branch's demographics into consideration when making goals so some goals were unattainable.

First Bank has some improvements to make, but is heading in the right direction.

Branch Manager II (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsLearned more in two years as a manager at First Bank than all five years I was with Wells Fargo. At First Bank you are the owner of your branch and accountable for everything you do and all the decisions you make. With that in mind, you quickly learn everything that affects your bottom line, you learn when to give rate exceptions, waive fees, or make purchases and will know exactly how it will effect your true profits.

ConsLocations or lack thereof in Texas. If you are a branch manager and want to move up in Texas you are very limited to what your next step should be with the company. There is a Texas regional president who is over all of the 20 branches in Texas. Unless First Bank decides to seperate DFW and Houston and makes a open position for a DFW district manager nothing is higher than a branch manager in Texas except possibly moving to the commercial lending area.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to coach and train your branch managers with a focus on teaching them how to coach and develop there staff. More time needs to be spent with teaching the managers on how to select their people, how to set the expectations, effectively motivate their team, and to develop their staff. If First Bank does this with all their Texas managers, they will be very strong competitor for the other larger Texas banks. They already have the customer service and very competative rates/products. They have to get all their managers onboard with a strong sales mantality and working on developing a sales team with a "go-getter" attitude and you could see many more First Banks in Texas very soon.

Great opportunitiy for those wishing to enter into the financial industry.

Customer Service Representative I (Former Employee) Florissant, MO

ProsFirst Bank really works hard to get people to work and act as a team. There is never anyone who isn't allowed to put their input in when it comes to improving sales goals. First Bank also has part time benefits.

ConsThere is not an opportunity to work overtime to earn more money. Once you are in a position in retail banking (branch) it's kind of difficult to get into a back office position.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say to look into more effective ways to obtain new accounts and research current ones to see if they are achieving desired results. Also, I would say that what works for one branch might not work for another so if their marketing team could look into that it would probably increase company morale between the branches.

Worked for First Banks? Contribute to the Community!