First Book

Not yet rated.

Kyle Zimmer

Unpleasant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWorking for good cause makes a difference.

ConsThere are a lot of politics and unfair treatment of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and respect your employees.

Great Mission, Poorly Run Organization

(Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe mission is great. The words "books to kids" are heard everyday. Amazing stories and thanks from the people First Book reaches. That's what kept me there for several years and keeps most people there.

ConsExecutive team of three are all extremely weak managers. They have great vision for the organization but internally nothing ever changes - I heard the same ideas for 5 years - the same ideas that never quite happened. The employees who most inspired me and who tried to make changes did not stay that long - they get frustrated and leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop traveling to India. Stop talking about the same ideas that never happen. Spend time managing the organization - encourage real conversation internally. I could never say what I am saying here at the office. Give staff opportunities for growth.

Great stepping stone, not a great place to grow.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExposure to creative campaigns and innovative ideas.

ConsPoor management.
    Plays favorites.
    Very flat organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent middle managers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

National, growing to international, social enterprise organization

Director (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExceptional mission and dedication to providing books to children from low-income families around the country. Flexible work environment, passionate leadership dedicated to providing resources to the hardest to reach children.

ConsFairly flat hierarchical structure, although that does provide some flexibility in work environment. Fast paced environment, often long hours to complete the tasks at hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide growth opportunities for upcoming and young professionals. Providing insight from senior leadership to lower level staff members is encouraging.

Worked for First Book? Contribute to the Community!