First Busey

Be The First To
Add Photos

First Busey President and CEO Van A. Dukeman

Van A. Dukeman

Busey provides valuable experience to employees and offers room for growth within.

Personal Banker (Current Employee) Urbana, IL

ProsHires from within, good incentives for reaching sales goals, upper management is very involved with employees, good benefits, a comfortable work environment.

ConsThe pay is low in comparison to other banks.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider an annual bonus for ALL employees regardless of status in b5 and raising pay to match other banking institutions in our area.

They cannot make up their mind of what they want to be.

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsThe company like to lend based on character rather than only credit metrics which is good for marginal credits. They truly value relationships.

ConsIf you do not come from the area there are no real opportunities for growth. You will not be trusted.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an open mind an try not to use nepotism for making decisions. There are other ways and other people who can help. There are other ways to grow the business not just cost cutting.

Great people to work with.

Analyst (Current Employee) Champaign, IL

ProsIt's a good place to start, you'll learn a lot, but you do have to put your best out there to be recognized. If you do just as much as it is expected, probably you'll be just ok. I suggest to do beyond what is expected for your position and establish a good reputation within your department and outside of it.
    It matters a lot who is your direct supervisor. You need to have an open communication relationship with your manager. He or she is the one that can help you grow and they will help you if you show them you want and you can do all it's requested and more.

ConsLow pay for new starting employees. However, you can grow with time.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose a strategy and follow through. Strategy changes can confuse people and make them anxious.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Needs a lot of work

Teller (Former Employee) Champaign, IL

Pros- Direct deposit payments are on time. USUALLY.
    - Good hours
    - Benefits packages for FT employees

Cons- Management is unresponsive; they play favorites and ignore those who aren't in their social work circle.
    - Lowest paying bank.
    - HR department is rude and impersonal.
    - Big wigs at the company cut employee pay so they can remodel their offices at HQ building. Blame economy.
    - For same reason as above, look for small reasons to fire some employees to make up for costs of remodeling
    - Various security issues and often involved in many scams and security loopholes.
    - Very little room to grow, expect it to be a dead-end job for most positions unless you are in the social circles.
    - Don't fall for the "Busey Promise" scheme; no one follows it, and it's just inner-company propaganda to keep you hush-hush about the low pay and make you work hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementI realize you are a small-town community bank, but professionalism is key. You need to leave the social-circle mentality out of the equation, and hire people based on merit rather than "your friends" or "who you know." Also, management should reconsider freezing employee pays and accusing the economy for it, whilst spending company funds for lavish office remodeling and unnecessary expenditures.

I will always be thankful for my experience at Busey!

Customer Support Online Banker (Current Employee) Champaign, IL

ProsGreat hours, easy to earn incentives, Busey REALLYcares about their customers

ConsLow base pay, poor data entry department, newsletters will give misleading information and give out customer support's phone number

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease review your system for updating customer's information

Decent company...but a long road ahead

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat coworkers, community involvement, work/life balance

Conslow pay, micromanagement of employees, layoffs

Advice to Senior Managementpick a direction for the company and stick with it

wonderful balance between work and life

Investment Team Intern (Current Employee) Champaign, IL

Prosmany nice people
    good company culture
    clear goal

Conssalary is not high for entry-level

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

It has been a very positive place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Champaign, IL

ProsThe sense of family you get from working here.
    benefits are good.

ConsCost of living raises would help out.
    realizing talent within.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key to helping staff know what is going on. It's very hit and miss currently.

Great!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Champaign, IL

ProsGreat treatment to people who works there

ConsSalary is a bit lower than other banks

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have better execution of planning before implementing any new strategy

Busey regional bank located in Central Illinois. It has that small town feeling and is a great place to work.

Bank Teller (Former Employee) Bloomington, IL

ProsBusey Bank is an incredibly flexible place when it comes to working around your personal scheduled and requesting days off.

ConsBusey Bank does not offer much chance for advancement or promotions. I was working there for over a year and never was offered a promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusey Bank was an enjoyable experience for me because it allowed me to work around my class schedule, but I would have liked to been offered a job after college.

Worked for First Busey? Contribute to the Community!