First Cash Financial Services

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rick L. Wessel

Good but, just like working you have to be the broker when promotion comes your way.

ProsGood atmosphere good pay for what you do.

ConsCome raise or promotion time shoot high.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget when you were a front line employee. Understand your role now as a leader don't forget those that got you where you are now.

Generally an enjoyable job , although some days can be stressful

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

Pros*Always provided with a solid 40 hours a week
    *Monthly bonuses can range from $25-$1500 or more depending on how much profit you generate.
    *In my area (OKC metro) overtime is almost always available.
    *Hourly pay not bad for a job that requires no higher education/specific skill training.
    *You learn a lot about a broad range of merchandise (electronics, tools, jewelry, etc.)
    *The commission structure keeps you motivated and interested in the job. Instead of working hourly while all profits are sent to corporate, you get to keep a percentage of all profits you make from loans (pawns) and sales.
    *Your management will SOMETIMES make good deals on merchandise you are interested in purchasing

Cons*Definite favoritism in upper management
    *Stores constantly understaffed
    *Sometimes have to work more hours than you would like
    *The turnover rate is very high. I would guess 80% of new hires quit in under 6 months.
    *Customers and management WILL try your patience, and even coworkers you like will get on your nerves on busy 50-60 hour weeks
    *VERY little room to do anything else, time wise (School, part time second job, etc)

Advice to Senior Management*Drop the condescending attitudes and superiority complex
    *Don't assume everyone is willing to come in on their day off
    *Take more time to hire employees who are likely to stick around, instead of anyone with a valid social security number.

Good at first, bad now.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGreat friendships with the co workers I started out with.

ConsPay sucks, they don't care enough to give holiday pay and dont care about employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey dont have to work on holidays, they are in the comfort of their homes while we bust our butts to make them look good. They keep criminals and fire the good employees. This company will go down because of greed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I will miss working here!!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsI worked for this company for three years and deciding to leave was a really tough decision. Management is great, literally all the way to the top - I never had a manager or supervisor I didn't like, even the occasional visitors from corporate were very easy to talk to and genuinely care about how you are feeling as an employee. Also, for an entry level job, the pay structure is fantastic - you have to work with your team to reach 8 parameters and you are pretty much guaranteed a bonus (by the end of my run, I was earning $1000+ bonuses every month). Working in a pawn shop gives you so much experience for any other job you may want in the future - retail, customer service, human resources, finances, sales. Working for First Cash is truly an opportunity that you should definitely seize if you get a chance.

ConsThe biggest interior issue I saw was that First Cash has a habit of dangling promotions - they'll train you and tell you that you're moving up but then at the last minute they decide not to promote for some reason or another. You will also probably have some of the most difficult customer interactions you could ever anticipate, but that's just to be expected from working at a pawn shop

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't actually intend to bump somebody up, don't tell them you are. Also train and monitor your employees better! I saw way too much cost being put into items which ultimately lost the company money in terms of profit

Alot of work for little pay! Managers don't know how to manage...etc etc...coworkers were cool though

ProsIt was cool being a pawnbroker. the aspect of the job really excited me thinking ill be doing what "pawn stars" does...but

ConsManagement...HORRIBLE TERRIBLE!!! simply put they have been with the company for a long time and were bound to get promoted..they knew nothing about how to manage or be a team. simply put while you work there you are in a communist type of career lol

Advice to Senior Managementyou are the reason why i left....very disappointed in your lack of leadership and being a team player.

I though it was good job, but I ended being unsatisfied and disappointed.

ProsThe only good thing is that you always get your forty hour, they wanna keep you available to their business so you can keep their doors open for their own convenience.

ConsWorking at their pawn shop was the worst decision i could've made. You will never get promoted because pawnbrokers is a dead end in first cash instead you get moved around every pawnshop in the DMV thats how they lie to you about being promoted, moreover; if you are a good prospect the managers and supervisors would try to get rid of you because they always want to keep their old manager. As a result; Managers and supervisor are always the same people over 20 plus years you will never get promoted they are the same old heads. Poor proper training if they don't like you they will find reasons to write you up until they get you fired and they use their poor trainning against you. Health insurance sucks if you get sick company pays little for your medical care. Now they do not have health insurance at all corporate only cares about money and they do make a lot of money

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers and Supervisors dont be afraid to train others they are not gonna take your seat and stop talking behind peoples back it doesnt look and feel professional, in addition; your environment to demand is so much but little rewards to your employees. Write ups are your daily bread if you want to reduce write ups spend the time to train your pawnbrokers. Your write ups only reduces your employee morale.

Great job!

District Manager (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsPay and oppertunity for advancement were great. Varied daily regimen means you never get bored.

ConsUnrealistic growth expectations are reuired of each and every employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the ones that built you

I love working here

Teller (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMajority of the stores are closed on Sunday, they actually care about you, monthly bonuses, hours aren't too early or too late, and the job is basic. Oh yea, and a Q4 contest that is better than any other company I have worked for-vegas trip, domincan, other places, and cash prizes.

ConsSometimes can get boring, the insurance isn't as great as it could be, and some employees lack professionalism. But, what job isn't boring sometimes, has bad insurance, and some employees not up to par these days. Just saying.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up better with the competition. Continue the shining star program and q4 contest.

“Unethical Business Practices, Less Than Stellar”

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, TX

ProsThe atmosphere is very relaxed. Sometimes too relaxed.

ConsCompany benefits are the worst I have ever seen. Hourly employees only get 2 weeks of vacation regardless of their tenure with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to wake up & realize what is going on. This company looses a lot of good employees due to the lack of competetive salaries; way below scale.. Employees quickly see they're in a dead end job & leave the company for better opportunities.

Upper management also practacies a form of nepotism which involves not the hiring of family members, but the hiring of friends or their friend's children. A lot of good people are passed up for promotions because of it. Bottom line upper management doesn't care about thier employees. Their bottom line is how much profit can be made at the end of the month so they can get their bonuses.

Socialism and babysitting

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, TX

ProsRelaxed work environment, casual attire, friendly co-workers.

ConsLack of technology, Socialization is a priority, to many "clicks". Baby sitting of employees and too much hand holding. Middle management lacks knowledge and expertise. Work overload, no praise, no merit, and no promotion because there's no where to get promoted to.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet into the 20th century with technology. Hire managers with knowledge and expertise in their fields. Professionalism needs to be a priority and not socialism.

Worked for First Cash Financial Services? Contribute to the Community!