First Citizens Bancorporation

Updated Mar 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim B. Apple

I loved working with the customers and my awesome team members.

Teller II (Former Employee)
Greenville, SC

I worked at First Citizens Bancorporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEveryone works well as a team

ConsI did not have any cons at FCB.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

Political organization where everyone thinks they know how to do your job better than you.

I have been working at First Citizens Bancorporation full-time for less than a year

ProsThey paid me regularly
Watching the NC State Troopers practice their driving maneuvers from the cafeteria.

Cons--Antiquated systems which are not tested adequately and which are so bad, the FDIC is FORCING them to upgrade.
--Rigid inflexible workplace
--Circular firing squads
--Don't believe a word management tells you.
--Old Boy / Fraternity-like mentality
--Management lacks the courage to do the right thing
--HIGH turnover
--Technical projects managed by project managers who have no technical or computer skills beyond the ability to crank out MS Project schedules.

Best bank of work for

Personal Banker (Current Employee)
Columbia, SC

I have been working at First Citizens Bancorporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEnvironment, principles and values, hours.

ConsSalary should more closely match qualification.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at First Citizens Bancorporation

ProsFriendly working place, great staff members.

ConsNot enough hours and not enough hands on training. Make it more physical, interactive training verses the computer base training. Especially when dealing with complex bank related issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the training material(s) are up to date!

Great experiences, stable organization, family environment, and wonderful culture.

Analyst (Current Employee)
Columbia, SC

I have been working at First Citizens Bancorporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFamily owned, Positive working environment, great reputation in the industry and communities, good benefits, allows employees to have work/life balance.

ConsThe company is growing and leadership is holding on to decision making which could be trusted to others.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate policy and procedures for approvals by CEO and President. If their review does not add value, change the policy and procedures.

Very good company to work for

Teller (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at First Citizens Bancorporation full-time for less than a year

ProsRespect for employees, benefits, compensation, good morale.

ConsPushed to call customers for leads to sell products.

Great place to start

I have been working at First Citizens Bancorporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStability. Very strong bank with sterling reputation. The name alone definitely draws a lot of water, especially in NC

ConsHourly/Salary rates are not very competitive. No incentives for achieving/exceeding sales expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstitute some sort of bonus system for sales team

Micro management hell.

Personal Banker (Former Employee)

I worked at First Citizens Bancorporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe vacation time, sick time, and personal time is very good for a company where most of the employees highest education level is High School. You can find a branch near your house in almost every city in SC. Most of the people, minus the executives and middle managers, are very nice. 8-5 and little overtime necessary. All the minor and major holidays off.

ConsYou will do more work than you have ever done in your life and you will not be paid very well for this work. You will never advance. They always hire outside people. Micro management is the normal way of leadership. The managers do little to no work and seem incredulous if you don't get your work done. The "Good Ol Boy" mentality is alive and well, and is highly encouraged at FCB. Minority hiring seems to be highly frowned upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp out your employees and stop thinking you are more important than you really are. Try to put yourself in the place of the teller who is a single parent making $8 an hour.

Pleasant, banal

Teller II (Former Employee)
Florence, SC

I worked at First Citizens Bancorporation part-time for more than 5 years

ProsEasy going atmosphere, despite the push for sells and referrals. 2 weeks vacation your first year is quite nice, and the benefits kept me there a lot longer.

ConsNo upward movement. Most of my time was spent as a part time employee despite my efforts. The work could be awfully repetitious.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop programs for employees to move forward with their careers.

Much better than SunTrust

Banker Assistant II (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

ProsThey really value employees. People are happy to work for the company, they love the company. The company really cares about who you are as a person.

ConsHealth insurance costs are higher with First Citizens Bank than at my previous employer. Must be employed at least 1 year to get 401k options.

Worked for First Citizens Bancorporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Citizens Bancorporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for First Citizens Bancorporation CEO Jim B. Apple. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by First Citizens Bancorporation employees.