First Commonwealth Financial Reviews

T. Michael Price

1. Great place to learn and work

Current Employee - Secured Credit Analyst in Indiana, PA
    Current Employee - Secured Credit Analyst in Indiana, PA

I have been working at First Commonwealth Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

environment, PTO, improving technology, knowledge management and co-workers

Cons

upward potential, workload can get overwhelming at times, pay

Advice to Management

none

Horrible place to work

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at First Commonwealth Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unless you are a teenage drama queen and love gossip, you will want to throw yourself off the 16th floor every day you work here.

Cons

Lending management is the worst. Fortunately one of them is on the way out soon if he keeps up his eating patterns. Credit department is broken and doesn't pay analysts enough to keep them once they are trained

Advice to Management

Stop being so arrogant and stop squandering the stockholders earnings on your lunches at capital grill. Also, regular golf outings with the bank staff do not count as "networking" and are therefore not a legitimate business expense. Corporate corruption at its finest.

Revolving Door

Former Employee - Lending in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Lending in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at First Commonwealth Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The shares are now approaching $10.00 a share which suggests that a buyout is not to distant, as the Bank is dropping in market share in the Pittsburgh MSA.

Cons

The level of terminations is ridiculous. The HR department appears to have a monthly quota to meet based on recent activity.

Advice to Management

FCB is on the brink of being bought out unless management goes on a fox hunt. Time is of the essence before yo can't riggle out of this mess.

Making Upper Management Come...First

Current Employee - Commercial Lender
    Current Employee - Commercial Lender

Pros

Got to learn how to please uppe management They took me out to dinner occasionally, after I satisfied their needs They gave me a Blackberry, which demonstrates my alpha male status and helps impress the females

Cons

Low wages, compared to Lending positions at other Banks Very political--new people receive better benefits (free hotel) and advance within the bank much quicker if they know someone who works here Bathroom always smells foul Coworkers are not goat friendly The women do not always appreciate my advances, even though I am very desireable Occasionally get groped--by a man...

Advice to Management

Start paying and treating employees the same as other banks do or you will continue to be seen as a bottom feeding bank.

6. Not bad

I worked at First Commonwealth Financial part-time

Pros

Since it's a smaller bank, it's much easier to make connections to higher ups than at say PNC. The CEO is a great guy (know him personally), and it would certainly pay to get to know people higher up than you. I think this would be a solid place to start off at

Cons

Not certain how easy it actually is to move up in the bank unless you know higher ups. The pay is definitely pretty crappy (in my opinion). The Indiana office is a pretty gloomy place to work in. From what I've heard, the Pittsburgh office has a better atmosphere, but Indiana has closer connections to higher ups.

Advice to Management

Create a better working environment in the Indiana office. Make pay more competitive

Blah....That's all I have to say. Starts out fine until they know they have you then they use the crap out of you.

Pros

Decent co-workers, but many of them whine and moan all day about the temperature or little things Flexibility with work schedule Decent amount of vacation days (17 days until you have been here for 10 years, then you get a whole five more)

Cons

Salary is decent to start out but very little incentive to continue working here. They may recognize you at 5 years in but you get nothing but a pat on the back and a Keep it up. In today's economy 5 years is turning into more of a big deal with people bouncing from job to job, they need to think about rewarding their employees more often and with rewards employees actually want. NO COMMUNICATION!!! Well, there is some but it is totally ineffective. Many times they just talk at us and talk up the bank like we are customers they are trying to reel in. I mean come on, we already work here, we don't need the sales pitch. Supervisors have a bad attitude that trickles down to the employees. The employees should not have to be the ones trying to build morale, that starts at the top and works it's way down. Morale here sucks!!!!!! There is so much turnover in this department and they don't see that it starts with them. Maybe if they spent more time on the interview process instead of hiring any Joe Shmoe that walks through the door right out of college, just maybe they would have a full staff for a longer period of time. No one wants to come to work. This is not a "family". It's everyone for themselves and management does not care about employee development. They are so focuses on their financial goals and their own personal pocketbooks that they fail to see the people busting their butts on a daily basis to earn them their bonuses at year end. And the values here....psshhh, don't even get me started; it's the most ridiculously selfish place I've ever experienced. They say there is room for growth and potential to "MOVE UP", yeah right. Not unless you are a 20-something year old male and work in the Pittsburgh office. If you want to "be somebody" you have to work in Pittsburgh.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and try to develop them, maybe then there wouldn't be so much turnover in certain departments and your employees would actually enjoy coming to work. Each employee has a personal life outside of the bank and maybe they don't want to spend every waking hour working on credit packets just because the end of the year is getting close. Maybe you should actually reward employees for a job well done with an extra vacation day or two rather than a pat on the back. Give employees some incentive rather than just pounding them with statements about what needs done. We are all PEOPLE you know, so treat us that way. It's exhausting to come to work everyday knowing that we are just going to get lectured even though we are doing everything in our power to do our jobs correctly and well.

8. The company has good benefits but it is hard to move up the ladder.

Current Employee - Financial Svcs Associate
    Current Employee - Financial Svcs Associate

I have been working at First Commonwealth Financial part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k, vacation, stock options. Everyone at the branch level is very helpful and the training program is improving.

Cons

You can't move up the ladder and a lot of favoritism. Even if you make it to the next level they start you with the lowest pay compared to the new hires. Mortgage and Investment partners are horrible and hardly care about your referrals. The branches are short staffed and work life balance is a problem most of the time. Part time employees are not respected. The IT systems are not efficient that increases the work load.

Advice to Management

Provide better training programs, offer competitive salaries and occasional appreciation would be helpful.

Hostile work environment. Highly political culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indiana, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indiana, PA

I worked at First Commonwealth Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary was decent albeit not up to market standards, but had to fight for bonuses every year. Some flexibility with regard to work schedule.

Cons

Staff is very fearful of the politics, so there are a lot of people who just say yes. and don't challenge the status quo. The culture is backwater and unsophisticated. Male dominated environment. Lots of back-stabbing in upper management, which filters down throughout the entire organization. An awful place to work!

Advice to Management

They talk a good game, but when it comes to practice those words are empty.

Good place to start out

Former Employee - Credit Analyst
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst

I worked at First Commonwealth Financial full-time

Pros

There are great learning opportunities to and people very willing to help. If you are the kind of person that is willing to work hard and sacrifice salary for experience and exposure to senior management then this is a great place to learn.

Cons

Salary is not competitive with peer banks and the training programs could use some improvement and formality.

Advice to Management

Make sure that all of your employees are on the same page. There tends to be a disconnect with what management is thinking and what employees think they should be doing. There are a lot of layers of management, use them to make sure everyone has the same information and communicate that employees are not confined to a rigid job description.

11. Good company to work for

Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at First Commonwealth Financial part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of training when new processes happen.

Cons

Little ability for advancement; Expensive benefits

RSS Feed </> Embed