First Communications

3.5

Margi Shaw

Excellent Telecom Company

I have been working at First Communications

Pros

Support for customers under one roof

Cons

Coverage for providing service throughout the US

Introduce more network partnerships and products

As a recent college graduate, I am having a great experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I have been working at First Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I recently graduated from college and landed my first full-time job here. While in college I never considered working for a telecommunications company, but this is an industry that is never going to go away. I quickly realized that starting a career in this industry will provide me with more job security in the future.

I think it is great that management is looking to hire more recent graduates who are looking to start a career here. Like most millennials it is important to me to be a part of a company that is active in the community and has a work-hard play-hard atmosphere. I have been here a few months and have already taken part in three community service projects. Working at a smaller company I love that we can have monthly employee meetings to hear directly from the CEO how the company is doing, and give recognition to top performers. We also get catered food at these meetings, and it is a great chance to get to know people in other departments. I work in the Lombard, IL office, and the building has a brand new fitness center and a deli shop with a variety of food.

I like the atmosphere of a smaller company versus working for a large company in this industry, such as Comcast or AT&T, because I definitely would not be able to have as much of a voice or have the variety of responsibilities that I have now. This past year, and since I have been here, there have been a lot of changes from hiring new talent to creating new products and services to stay relevant in this rapidly evolving industry. I am excited to be a part of what is to come in 2015!

Cons

I wish I had training on our products and services when I came on-board. I think it is important for all departments to have an in-depth understanding of each of our products, not just the Account Executives and Account Managers. I think this is crucial especially for recent graduates who want to feel that they are prepared coming into their first job.

Great Opportunities; Great team to work with!

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Lombard, IL

I have been working at First Communications

Pros

I love that the executive team is so accessible and open to hearing/trying new things; I feel extremely supported by my coworkers and management, right up to the CEO! There is a great amount of opportunity for creative, self-motivated and entrepreneurial team members as we continue to grow. Community service is a focus at First Communications; we've done everything from making blankets for Linus Project; food drives for holidays, collecting supplies for battered women's shelters and most recently, adopting a child from DCFS to buy Christmas gifts for!! Company communication with employees is good; there is a monthly meeting "All Hands" meeting for the CEO to share everything from company news & standings to recognizing employee contributions and anniversaries - and they even buy us lunch!!! I see First Communications moving in a progressive direction from an energetic & positive woman CEO to the great investments they've made in infrastructure and product line. Other things that are appreciated and enjoyed are casual/jeans Fridays, purified water machines (hot for tea/cold for drinking), coffee, fridges & eating areas, nice training room & conference rooms, great coworkers/atmosphere, events such as Customer Service Week and holiday parties with games, gifts and prizes, covered parking (discounted parking in city).

Cons

The salary could be a little better and the addition of a training department would really enhance a strong foundation.
    First Communications has opportunity with regard to some easy employee satisfaction benefits such as PTO when offering new employees. The last potentially disheartening thing I could say is that there are some potential customers who remember who First Communications WAS, not who we are NOW, and unfortunately, this sometimes gets in the way.

Create a training department to help with everything from on-boarding/training new employees to developing leadership within; offer better benefits when on-boarding new team members.

Long lived. Worked from home

I have been working at First Communications

Pros

Home based. Excellent jobs! Loved it.

Cons

Home based. I was ok with it

Learn and meet your employees

Great Place to Work

I worked at First Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good salary nice bonus plan that rewards all the employees (hard to find these days!) and strong family oriented atmosphere. Company encourages entrepreneurial initiative. High growth oriented culture with good product line and focus on customer satisfaction.

Cons

Not a good place for people who need constant supervisions or just want to show up and get by.

Growing Company, Innovative Team

Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at First Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enthusiastic, fun loving, talented team. Company is growing with loads of opportunties to learn new technology, lead projects and grow your career. Leadership share corporate goals and objectives openly and frequently. Business objectives are aggressively but achievable.

Cons

Need to keep growing our team and talent.

keep on this path.

Found a career here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairlawn, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairlawn, OH

I have been working at First Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Having worked here for several years, I know many people that have made a career here, not just a job. Most of the employees are good, hard-working people, and I enjoy working with most of them. Management is currently working hard to improve communication and encourage more employee participation.

Cons

Can use better teamwork between departments. Also, being a smaller company, advancement can sometimes appear limited ... but there is always room for growth for someone who shows the initiative.

Continue to do what's right by your employees and your customers.

Liars to customers and employees! All positive reviews on here are fake!

Former Employee - Account Representative in Fairlawn, VA
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Fairlawn, VA

I worked at First Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Umm... the customer support managers are clueless. I'm trying to think of something positive. Oh, they have a decent company picnic with all the trimmings. Company does offer 2 weeks off.

Cons

Too many network outages. Too many angry customers.... I never experienced what you do here and I work for 2 other Fortune 100 companies. District Manager will stab you in the back! Customer service, what is that?

the lies will catch up with you. How do you sleep at nite?

Better than expected

I have been working at First Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small company, great working environment, minimal bureaucracy and decent pay. I've had three other positions at large fortune 500 companies in my career and I'm enjoying the change. It feels like I have more impact and input than I have ever had before.

Cons

Being a smaller company, the career opportunities appear to be limited. They could do a better job engaging the two main locations to make us feel more like a team.

Horrible Experience

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at First Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are very few pros in working for this company.

Cons

Senior Management has no clue how to run a successful CLEC in a competitive marketplace.

First Communications Photos