First Community Credit Union (TX)

www.fccu.org

First Community Credit Union (TX) Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ron Downing

This Credit Union has removed COMMUNITY from its business model.

Back Office (Former Employee)

ProsSomewhat better banking platform than the current company had. More streamlined in some work processes.

ConsThey are single minded in their vision. They have acquired several small community credit unions and more focused on growth than serving the communities that they do business in. They give you the standard merger boiler plate lip service " This merger will be better for all our members...it is more like a marriage than a merger. We are open to listening to existing employees ideas etc. etc. etc." In reality, they could care less about existing employees and your opinions and experience fall on deaf ears.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach and don't micro manage. Also when your management team talks adversely to team members about you...it is highly unprofessional and WILL get back to the victim of that malicious gossip. Remember the roots of being a credit union...it's "Community"...don't be so focused on the bottom line that you forget that it's the hardworking customers and employees that get you those numbers.

Favoritism, Monarchy type attitude, low pay, patronizing

Operations (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsNone I guess the 401K plan is pretty good.

ConsThere is a very high turnover rate, you barely get to know someone hired and they are gone. Long term employees leaving like the building is on fire. No management support, they lock themselves up in the "executive area" and you never see them again. CEO doesn't even attend staff meetings all the time. Nepotism runs the show there are relatives of executives all over the Credit Union. More of a servant master type environment. Male dominated management and executives.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some appreciation to the employees who have made you what you are. Close the gap of separation and thinking you are better than everyone else. Walk among the "little people" and remember your past.

Great if you don't want any upward mobility, pay or occasional fun.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe retirement plan is pretty good with company match.

ConsToo much playing favorites. Employees are ignored, discarded and generally treated like servants. Pay is low in comparison. Upper management is very distant from their employees and have no interaction. Management is very male dominated. Unpleasant atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees and see how much of a contribution they make to your organization. Remember where you came from. You can't know where you are going unless you know where you have been.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was good back when they wanted to be a Credit Union

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood 401k plan. Benefits ok but insurance plans seemed low end. Most employees pretty nice.

ConsLow pay scale for job expectations. No chance of promotion unless you know or are related to someone in executive management. Grand Canyon size gap between executive management and their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch with your employees, get to know them and their responsibilities. Put some levity and fun back in the workplace.

Worst place I've ever worked at or done business with! BEWARE

Senior (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThere are no pros, this site made me give at least one star or I would have rated it ZERO stars. Pros would have to be that the building looks nice.

ConsManagement is powerless and will do nothing to solve any problems. favoritism is rampant. HR reports to the CEO so they are powerless, and if you think about reporting problems with any managers to HR be prepared to be fired and escorted out. Don't get sick because they'll be forcing FMLA down your throat at the soonest opportunity and then showing you the door. Salary is the lowest pay in Houston, TX and don't expect a bonus, the executives collect all of those. No room for growth. Managers don't appreciate their employees. The health benefits get worse and worse every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to get a backbone and get in touch with their employees. HR needs to act like a HR department should and be the employee's advocate, not the CEO's lapdog.

High Turn Over and Favoritism

Pros-Small company so you know everyone.
    -Training Dept. really cares about developing their employees.

Cons-You have to kiss a lot of butts to get any where.
    -Salary is LOW!
    -LOTS OF FAVORITISM/NEPOTISM
    -High Turn over
    -Forgetting the Credit Union Vision....turning to a HORRIBLE BANK!
    -Senior management belittles employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care and listen to your employees!!!

Ok place to work but there is a reason why theres a large turn over rate

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCo workers are really nice. since it is a small to medium company everyone knows everyone. Everyone i have met is really nice and down to earth.

ConsIf you want any type of future in this company you better be related to the CEO or else forget any type of advancement in this place. Also adding to this point they promote people who are unqualified some who have no degree and no knowledge of how to manage/ run a business. some people take their position way to seriously and like to exert their "Power" over others. There is way to much micromanaging.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not get out of touch with your employees! Remember this is a credit union NOT a bank.

A great place to work and form lasting relationships, don't expect much in the way of upward mobility.

Branch Vice President (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat mid-managers...Superior training department....excellent member base and community awareness partnerships....Good communication from upper management....family/work life balance was encouraged....Fabulous Employee Appreciation Events

ConsUtilize your talent....don't hamper them. Listen to your retail managers about what is working, the arbitrary policies from above do nothing but stifle employees who are performing.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more transparency would be appreciated at all levels. Upper management tends to contradict themselves when asking for certain policy advice and doing the exact opposite of what it's mid-level managers (the ones in the trenches) recommend.

The Credit Union provided a way for me to grow in education and in professional status.

Teller (Former Employee)

ProsThis company really loves its employees and treats them with respect. They have by far have been the best employer I have ever worked with.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to treat your employees right! You do a great job.

Worked for First Community Credit Union (TX)? Contribute to the Community!