First Data

www.firstdata.com

First Data Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Frank Bisignano

Pros
  • Pay is decent but could be better, work from home on occasion (in 19 reviews)

• Great co-workers depending on your team and relatively good work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management say what they think people want to hear then do the opposite (in 24 reviews)

• High expectations and time commitements - Can impact work life balance negatively (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights
40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It WAS a great place to work until former Chase management took over.

Director (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe executives really cared about the employees, and tried to make it a great place to work.

ConsNew management from Chase care more about the bottom line than anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on financial targets while making the company a great place to work, and you can accomplish both goals. They are not mutually exclusive. While every employee HAS a number, they aren't JUST a number.

Unstable Chaos

Senior Business Consultant (Current Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsLargest Global processor, wonderful referral partnerships

ConsDecreased commissions drastically. 10.00 an hour salary.

Chaotic whirl of change in face of a lackluster economy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsQuality of people who care about the work they are doing

ConsConstant management changes and strategic direction changes due to macro economic shifts that are changing the company's business model

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a strategy and stick to it

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

JUST OK

Applications Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood Work Life Balance. Open Door Management Policy.

ConsPOLITICS in all processes!!!!!!!!!!!! Not Organized!!!!!!!!! Poor Benefits

Chaos

Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIf you can get a leadership position the pay is good. Most people are hard workers who want to accomplish things.

ConsThe new executive leadership team is squeezing all of the employees. There is no global aspect to this company and too many countries and organizations are off doing their own thing. Constant power struggles. Some people are overworked while its ok for others to barely lift a finger. This place is circling the toilet bowl.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your employees better and insure SVP's represent one message to their "global" teams. Eliminate some of the VP's and flatten the org

Current status of company

Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGlobal company with deep product set and broad distribution network.

ConsCompany is undergoing significant changes and reorganization to regain status of a public company resulting in limited career advancement at this time.

Headed in wrong direction

Account Executive (Current Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsExtremely taking inbound calls and taking orders from customers if you are one of the lucky hand chosen few to be in managements back pocket.

ConsLow pay, micromanaged, everything is recorded, phone conversations, computer activity, management listening in on your calls, certain employees are hand picked for the good incoming queue lines,not to mention you have to have 4 hours of daily talk time on the phones. This is mandatory.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging, pay your employees, treat them with respect, reward them.

Continuous Change

SERVICE ADVISOR (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI really do not have any pros aside from instead of my role being phased out, I've been transitioned to the same role with more responsibilities.

ConsLack of stability
    Shift in culture
    No where to advance to career wise
    Terrible medical benefits
    High stress
    Constantly switching my pay structure

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Asking more and giving less....First Data's new motto to its employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLarge company with opportunities to learn and grown in a wide range of business.

ConsC-level continues to cut back on benefits and increase workload without any kind of appreciation. They consider FD workers lazy and treat them with a New York-style baptism by fire. If you can't make their cut then you're cut. No consistency in management - your boss is likely to change half a dozen times in a year. Benefits continue to be depleted, replaced by what is now worthless stock. Work life is non-existent for many due to the increasing demands.

Advice to Senior ManagementStabilize your management, stop hiring senior management for big bucks while decreasing everyone else's salaries, show some genuine appreciation to your employees and launch an aggressive hiring campaign (outside of NY and NJ) to relieve the stress on the rest of us.

Ridiculous bureaucracy, unwarranted egos, along with a "last man standing" mentality.

Product Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFirst Data is the best payments processor, hands down. I've also met some of the best people I can call friends. Depending on the team, there are really knowledgeable people who are always willing to help you.

ConsNow here are the problems. Actual intelligence below the rank and file is not appreciated. Upper management would prefer their underlings be dependent upon them so they can take credit for the work. It's rather frustrating. Knowledge is filtered in order to create dissention amongst the troops. Way too much game playing and underhandedness.

With the new regime, we actually received emails stating, "We don't care where you went to school or where you live. This is the New First Data and it is a meritocracy. You are now judged on results." My first thought was, "Shouldn't this be the way we were always judged"? We also were on a conference call where we were told that if it's daylight, we should be working. There is no work-life balance. Many of us would spend our nights working until 2-3 in the morning on mission critical issues (which were also to be hidden) while our team mates left at 5 and turned their phones off. These were the same people who were promoted.

True roadmaps are non-existent. Release information was distributed maybe 3-4 days before products were released. Documentation would be disseminated the day of release. Support tested the product after release. Not all internal organizations operate in this fashion but when it's a product that FD is putting their time and energy in, it's doomed for failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementSr. Management needs to wake up and take a hard look at what is going on within every organization. Processes cause stagnation and cause roadblocks to progress. Whoever is in charge of the Progress Obstruction Department needs to resign and let First Data operate efficiently. We've been told we are "empowered" but when it takes 15 people to make a decision on whether a button is blue or green, nothing will ever move forward and get this company out of debt.

Worked for First Data? Contribute to the Community!