First Data
www.firstdata.com Atlanta, GA 5000+ Employees

First Data Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
First Data – Atlanta – “First Data HQ”

Frank Bisignano

Pros:
  • "Great co-workers depending on your team and relatively good work/life balance"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Able to work from home (just not every day) and hours are open"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has no vision or ability to direct employees"
    in 17 reviews
  • "High expectations and time commitements - Can impact work life balance negatively"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Going downhill

Accounting Supervisor (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at First Data full-time for more than a year

ProsSome good people work here

ConsCompany is cutting benefits and expecting more work for less pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementReverse direction

Company Losing Focus while Shifting Priorities

Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at First Data full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFor the most part employees at the director level and below are great. The teamwork is phenomenal and people are exceptionally loyal. However, senior management has mistaken that loyalty as being directed towards the company when in reality most people stay with the company for their coworkers. Life/work balance is also satisfactory.

ConsWow, where to begin! First, senior management is an absolute joke. There is a revolving door at the top and because of this there is very little engagement with the average employee by senior management. Promotions are rare and favoritism is rampant (although to be fair to the new management they do seem to be addressing the favoritism problem). Salaries have always been below average at the company, but historically the benefits offset this. However, over the past year benefits have been slashed. 401(k) matching is no longer offered and the medical plans offered have become less comprehensive and more expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Frank (the CEO) specifically I would advise him not visit a location (the Denver office) and proclaim that he does not believe in lay-offs 3 months before letting go of 75% of the employees. It makes him seem duplicitous. Also, and again specifically to Frank, when your former employer (JP Morgan) sues you for $10 million dollars don't have your new company pick up the tab. Giving the company's $20+ billion debt as reason to slash employee benefits and then allowing them to pay off the lawsuit settlement again makes you seem completely out of touch.

Pitiful

POS Tech Support (Former Employee)

I worked at First Data full-time for more than a year

ProsNice co-workers, I enjoyed their company.
Vacation accrual begins after training.
Very casual dress code every day.
Plenty of Free Parking

ConsMicro management is horrible unless you are 'in' with favored group. It's a grind.
Pay is ridiculously low. Not even a living wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek and take input from all levels. Increase communications by giving more information with details on what direction we are headed, what are the issues we face. I felt no connection beyond two levels up.
At other major corporations we rated and reviewed ourselves, our peers and our managers.
Constructive input only. How else will you get top and bottom feedback?

Continuous Change

Service Advisor (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Data full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI really do not have any pros aside from instead of my role being phased out, I've been transitioned to the same role with more responsibilities.

ConsLack of stability
Shift in culture
No where to advance to career wise
Terrible medical benefits
High stress
Constantly switching my pay structure

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

A Sinking Ship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at First Data full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, competitive salary, talented managers

ConsSr Management is out of touch with the day to day.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be more involved with your day to day.

Asking more and giving less....First Data's new motto to its employees

Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Data full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLarge company with opportunities to learn and grown in a wide range of business.

ConsC-level continues to cut back on benefits and increase workload without any kind of appreciation. They consider FD workers lazy and treat them with a New York-style baptism by fire. If you can't make their cut then you're cut. No consistency in management - your boss is likely to change half a dozen times in a year. Benefits continue to be depleted, replaced by what is now worthless stock. Work life is non-existent for many due to the increasing demands.

Advice to Senior ManagementStabilize your management, stop hiring senior management for big bucks while decreasing everyone else's salaries, show some genuine appreciation to your employees and launch an aggressive hiring campaign (outside of NY and NJ) to relieve the stress on the rest of us.

Anticipate rough year

IT Manager (Former Employee)
Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at First Data full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGeneral teamwork and loyalty has been great
Large organization trying to restructure again for efficiencies.
The structure of the recent layoff was a positive in giving in most cases 3+ months notice prior to layoff and trying to hold career fairs, provide guidance on future employment outside the company.

ConsCompany restructuring and large layoffs with increase Senior Management project load for IT refresh targeting up to 150% of individual teams resource allocations, not including business growth projects.
Layoffs in Denver across the board devastating many infrastructure teams while still trying to hire at other locations. Some IT teams have +50% team loss where ramp up time may be 6-12 months at other locations, assuming the talent can be found.
New limited merit based performance compensation only available for lowest tiered workers and not really based on actual performance to bottom line improvements/value.

Advice to Senior ManagementWithin one month of CEO claims to all offices First Data will need to grow layoffs announced. Plans to replace this talent at other locations well behind the curve of hiring and boarding with no business impact. The people understand business losses may lead to displaced work force but the message and process have left the organizational very distrustful that they are being led correctly. Calling new organizational reviews the same name as the review which lead to layoffs in Denver has most individual contributors to be nervous.
Low rating is not due to being included in the layoff, that's just business.
In the IT organization it appears more people have either left early or left when not scheduled to be laid off than those already let go.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Continuous change

Project Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at First Data full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTreated like an adult, decent pay,

ConsLong hours, high stress, low advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementStability in c suite would be nice. Focus on reinforcing good behaviors to retain talent

Constant Change

Relationship Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at First Data full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people to work with and strong client base that is loyal. Employes work hard, and care about delivering a quality product. Compensation was great but it is changing.

ConsConstant management change, layoffs, and cost cutting initiatives make the environment difficult. Definitely Need more innovative products to stay competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees - they are your strongest asset.

It was an overall good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at First Data

Prosthey give you alot of vacation time they have many different shifts available

Consthey took away from contributing to your 401k cut down personal time off

Worked for First Data? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Data reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for First Data CEO Frank Bisignano. All 384 reviews posted anonymously by First Data employees.