First Data Merchant Services

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
CEO

Pros
  • Work from Home, Freedom to go about what you need to do to get the job done, can pretty much sell to anyone that will buy the product (in 5 reviews)

• Over the years good benefits and career advancement, more technology focused today (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little to no work-life balance since you'll have to work a lot to keep up (in 2 reviews)

• Upper management have no respect for the employees that takes calls (in 2 reviews)

1. Sales Director

I worked at First Data Merchant Services full-time

Pros

Innovative product, fair comp plan, flexibility

Cons

Revolving door at the top, to many ISO & relationships hurting the reputation, do not value what Sales Sales Directors bring

Advice to Management

Reduce the number of ISO's, keep Teams aligned to performing Sales Directors (keep the ones who's Teams win).

2. Business Consultant

Current Employee - Business Consultant
    Current Employee - Business Consultant

I have been working at First Data Merchant Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility and independence (for the most part). Relationships built through banking partners. If you love to drive and put a ton of miles on your car, this is also a pro.

Cons

Salesforce micromanaged to pieces. Low pay for duties performed. Commissions are drastically different now from when first started. Coaching/management sucks. BCs are expected to report too much, develop and maintain banking relationship, and hit quotas. All that is fine except your livelihood depends on your banking partners. If you cold call to hit all your metrics, then the banking partners complain you are closing enough deals. Quality of leads are just simply horrible and no one on the banking partnership side is held responsible for quality of leads. At the end of the day, all fingers point to you as to why everything sucks. Constant talk about things to come that never come, it get's old.

Advice to Management

Hire Managers who lead and develop talent, SERIOUSLY. Not all great sales people make great managers. Make upper management spend more time in the field to understand what BCs go through on a daily basis. Streamline applications and get a competent underwriting/credit department. Stop pushing Clover so hard, not everyone's fit. Stop misguiding new hires and setting unrealistic expectations. Hire more BCs to help cover banking partners branches. Most referral partners have 7 branches assigned, we are assigned 23 and at once point I covered 40 for half a year. Make your banking partners accountable! If they expect results, they should work toward increase results just as much as we do. Spend more money into the initial training and subsequent training. Everyone complains that they have no idea what they are doing once they are finished with training and in the field.

3. Client Implimentation

Former Employee - Client Implimentation Entry Level in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Client Implimentation Entry Level in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at First Data Merchant Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

First Data had great benefits, good salary, good hours. Pleasant work environment and co workers. Great managers, great location, enough parking spaces.

Cons

Constantly moving from one area to the other, different managers through the years, old chairs and desk, old computers, old carpet.

Advice to Management

I was not able to advise to management position, not easy to become manager, not easy to obtain any other area for a transfer to another job opportunity.

5. Professional employees with good work environment

Former Employee - Audit Manager
    Former Employee - Audit Manager

I worked at First Data Merchant Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Excellent professional and knowledgeable employees - Good work environment - Employees care about their work and treat the company as their own - Due to current senior management's focus, recommend the company for relatively short term employment

Cons

- Multiple changes in upper management - Current management too IPO focused (my opinion) - Cost savings driving employees with vast company knowledge away

Advice to Management

Being IPO focused is excellent for the company and not to mention upper management compensation packages but treat current employees who are helping you to achieve that with more acknowledgement.

6. Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at First Data Merchant Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent technology, outstanding process improvements. They constantly look for ways to be more efficient. FD usually reacts to changes in the marketplace in order to be more competitive.

Cons

They are smart but ruthless. There is no heart at FD. They operate on pure logic. Some people like that type of company. Cutting the 401K matching program is an example of this. I suppose if you are burdened with all the debt they have by KKR that is what happens. As soon as the IPO materializes things should get better.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees the way you treat your customers.

7. Takes advantage of recent college graduates

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Panama City Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Panama City Beach, FL

I worked at First Data Merchant Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was flexible. The company however doesn't reimburse you for mileage until after you've drove over 60 miles. I spent a lot of time on the road. Comp plan changes almost every 3 months, so brace yourself.

Cons

I relocated for the position I was offered for a low base pay. I was assured I would be making well over 60K as a first year rep. I had NO SUPPORT from management, & 3 different sales directors during my time there. I would not recommend this company to anyone unless some serious changes are made.

Advice to Management

I would recommend having sales directors in the field with your new hires more & making sure they are actually out taking us on calls instead of taking us out to breakfast and dinner & goofing off the entire time.

8. Business Consultant

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Marietta, GA

I have been working at First Data Merchant Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Company to work for. Sales Directors are really good and enjoy motivating their team.

Cons

Pay is a subpar at best. Needs to have a little more transparency and a more open line of communication from "the shark tank" to the rest of the SBC.

Advice to Management

If its truly a team be a little bit more open as far as expectations. The end result is making more money and everyone here is striving to do that but everyone wants to eat and some people that are actually selling still cannot eat.

9. It

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at First Data Merchant Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime is almost always possible.

Cons

Very strict timelines, more focus on compliance than individual performance.

10. Regional Sales Director

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

Pros

top technology firm in payments

Cons

not applicable at this time

11. Things change quickly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

Pros

Never boring, things change daily. Almost like a startup environment.

Cons

Surprises without notice or reason

Advice to Management

Allow workers to grow and trust them. This will keep morale up.

RSS Feed </> Embed