First Data Merchant Services

Updated November 10, 2014
Updated November 10, 2014
2.5

CEO

Pros
  • Work from home with decent benefits and residual income (in 5 reviews)

• Over the years good benefits and career advancement, more technology focused today (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little to no work-life balance since you'll have to work a lot to keep up (in 2 reviews)

• High pressure to get sales numbers, many people in my sales group evade the truth when telling customers about credit card rates (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, plenty of opportunity for advancement

I worked at First Data Merchant Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was a very friendly working environment. Goals were well understood, management was always accessible, great benefits that helped me work my way through college. You get out what you put into the job, if you make an effort to do well in your position you will get noticed and have the opportunity to move up with the company, which is exactly how I became a manager in a little over a year.

Cons

It's a big corporate company, so expect red tape. Suggestions are heard but sometimes not taken into consideration be it because an upper department doesn't find it feasible, or plans are already in the works which are generally not conveyed to representatives until its already a done deal.

Firs Data

I have been working at First Data Merchant Services

Pros

Nice co-workers and working environment

Cons

a lot of changes going on...not always for the better

Be very careful

I worked at First Data Merchant Services full-time

Pros

Okay for college students due to the hours and pay or in between looking for a real job.

Cons

Be careful of management. Medical benefits are horrible. The company like to pay new hires more money than the loyal employees. This company likes to burn their loyal employees. The 401(k) and other benefit plans that made that company a great place to work are gone. Upper management have no respect for the employees that takes calls. Human Resource department is a joke.

Overall okay

I worked at First Data Merchant Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's OK for college students to work

Cons

Don't pay enough money for the stress

A Great Company to Work for and Wonderful Leadership from the Top-Down!

I have been working at First Data Merchant Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Large support in expanding the company and initiatives from the top-down.Great company to work for as well! Benefits packages are nice, and the company is really invested in their employees. I feel like this is definitely a company I can grow and develop with.

Cons

Things run a little slow as far as trying to get things done, but they DO get done eventually!

Encourage your teams and continue to give it your all!

Terrible expericence, overall.

Former Employee - Cotact Center Representative in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Cotact Center Representative in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at First Data Merchant Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some very good people there-a few good managers.

Cons

There are a very amoral comp-care only about $$ . They do not care about their employees. Throw people away like trash. Do not follow own guidelines

Treat employees better. When you are cutting the workforce- say you ARE cutting the workforce, do not badmouth the employees that are gone. As a note- if you want to cut costs- cut top mgmt salary. My experience as an employee was a bad one. DO NOT GO TO WORK for this Company.

Client Experience Service Specialist Advice: RUN! DON'T TURN BACK!

Former Employee - Service Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Service Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at First Data Merchant Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are empowered to make decisions in regards to Merchants rates within a certain range depending on the Merchant. You have no direction on this, though.

Cons

First off, they will lie and tell you that you will be taking calls from Business Consultants for 2 or 3 hours and processing paperwork the rest of the day. WRONG! You take inbound Customer Service calls in queue ALL DAY, EVERY DAY with no idea how to help them and no one to assist! RUN! RUN FAST! DO NOT WORK HERE!

Poor hours, management cannot do your job. They are not trained to do your job. Training is the worst in the history of any job I've ever had! They throw close to 40 different computer programs at you in 3 weeks with no direction. No communication with IT to set up passwords and user IDs so you cannot apply what you are learning AS you are learning it. Salary is all across the board from $11 per hour to $14 per hour, depending on what you negotiated upon hire for the SAME JOB. They talk a good game plan about changing the company around and then they FIRE half the staff and start over. I was not fired.

You take calls from very rude outside sales people that also work for the same company. They demand things that you have never been trained to do. You also take calls from Merchants who are ALL mad that we put them out of business. You will look into the accounts and see that it appears to be TRUE. If you are an honest person, you won't last here. The deception will get to you.

Supervisors will not take escalated calls. Team leads are very rude.

Bottom line: This is the worst place I've ever worked out of MANY jobs in my life!

Where do I start? Don't lie to your employees. Learn their job before you manage them. Get better and longer training. Get more team leads that are not rude and get a system of escalation. You are good people, but need to fire the rude employees and start over with a better plan!

Okay place to work.

I have been working at First Data Merchant Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of benefits. Lots of opportunities for growth. Flexible shifts.

Cons

Extremely rigid on following the rules. You won't last long if you don't. Constant monitoring and feedback to insure to keep quality in line. Hard to get time off unless you schedule ahead of time.

VP Sales

Former Employee - Vice President Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Vice President Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at First Data Merchant Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, energetic, risk taking and sales driven culture

Cons

No investment into sales training and development and zero succession planning

The return of the sleeping giant

Current Employee - Sales Director in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at First Data Merchant Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Promotions and lateral moves are abundant. Almost to a fault. The stability and expertise within many operational areas is thin and weak at best. This is due to people moving around the company which is good for individual growth and experience gain, but detrimental to the overall success of the company.

Cons

Lack of resources and support. Learn on your own environment. Benefits and bonuses have been cut back and pretty much eliminated over the past couple of years. There is little to no work-life balance since you'll have to work a lot to keep up.

It's time to give back to the employees who give so much tot he company. Spend time getting to know what the employees think and what they want out of their career. Without this you are going to continue to lose good, quality employees.