First Data

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.5

Frank Bisignano

Pros
  • Great co-workers depending on your team and relatively good work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Work from Home, Build Great Business Relationships by Representing worldwide Best in Class Products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • High expectations and time commitements - Can impact work life balance negatively (in 14 reviews)

• 401k match was eliminated, Health care benefits are expensive with a high deductible (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Benefits are alright, Slightly Money Hungry, and below average pay-grades

Current Employee - Information Technology in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work 12 hour overnight shifts while having 3-4 days off at a time. The work-life balance is alright, but I would not recommend working the overnight shift for the long haul. This has taken a toll on myself and others as we progress towards years and years of being with the company. Easy to move laterally, given you make the right connections. Stay on top of your job and do not mess up and you will not face consequences.

Cons

The leadership is outrageously Director and up favoritism. In regards to personal growth, I have learned a lot over the years regarding large corporations and the warning signs of lay-offs in the future working for a company notorious for doing this. I have also learned to just keep your head down and keep working most of the time. Compensation is below average. If we are lucky, we may get a 5% increase in pay every couple years. We were offered cash bonuses yearly up until the new CEO took over. Now we are offered "stock bonds" for when the company is put up for IPO, which is revocable by the company at any time. So essentially, this "bonus" is worth nothing to us. Directors and up can sell their stock bonds before everyone below the food chain gets a chance to.

Upon the new CEO taking over, our personal time off was cut from 5 days to 1 day (for 12 hour employees.) Our benefits were reduced to rubble pretty much. Nothing is changing for the new year as far as I can see. Our 12 data centers are being reduced to 3. A lot of people have been laid off in multiple locations across the US for performance reasons in order to keep a "highly skill oriented workforce."

Listen to your employees more often. Offer promotions/more compensation for people who work for their fair share. Share what is going on with your employees from up the food chain, keep us aware.

Business Consultant

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Spokane, WA

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very organized and efficient management. VP's and top tier HQ executives listen to everyone's concerns. Great benefits.

Cons

It's all about hitting your number and nothing else. You MUST be a self starter and continually change your approach to be successful.

Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at First Data full-time

Pros

Great culture and management allows for work-life balance. The people are great to work with and offer a lot of support.

Cons

Opportunities could be vastly improved, bonuses should be offered to all contributing employees

Great people, not that great of a company.

Current Employee - Insert Operator in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Insert Operator in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Opportunity to advance in the company from entry-level positions.

Cons

Low morale, benefits decrease every year. KKR was the worst thing that could have happened to a great company.

Listen to your associates, they are your best source of information.

Awesome

I have been working at First Data

Pros

provide paid time off after the first 90 days for full-time positions, and it is very good environment to improve your skills

Cons

compensation is not equal to the effort you spend in achieving their goals

My experience was great!

Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at First Data as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great
    Employees are kind and welcoming

Cons

The office was a boring environment

I enjoy the opportunities and people I worked with.

I worked at First Data

Pros

Good job environment and work life.

Cons

None. I wish I was still with the company. I had hoped to retire from there.

Great Place to learn IT

I have been working at First Data full-time

Pros

Great place to learn about IT

Cons

Layoffs are constant, policy needs to change.

Was once a great place to work.

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Development of employees and consistant change of products to assist you in your career development. There were alot of incentives for employees to perform well and were rewarded as such until the KKR acquisition, the incentives went away, and things went to shambles. The place literally went from being an enjoyable place to work into a place that no one wanted to wake up and come to work for.

Cons

Removal of strong medical benefits, no 401k match, time off reduced, given stock options as if we "own" a piece of the business however none of us will see that money, a CEO that does not support longevity and knowledge of the business as his only focus is on getting a presence in New York.

When faced with hard decisions, do not give in to the status quo and stand up for your teams, employees, and departmental areas.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Melville, NY

I worked at First Data as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Worked only with one manager so majority of the feedback will be in line with the experience with this manager. Their cafeteria food and options is great and it is not too expensive for breakfast and free coffee. There is plenty of parking. The office location has great options nearby for lunch, as well as a Dunkin Donuts nearby.
    The work: not challenging and little mundane, boring.
    If you are lucky you will meet a few nice people that are not guarded.

Cons

Seems to have a sentiment of "don't trust anyone" mentality and when new faces appear, firs thing people do is check you badge, or try not to appear that they are looking at your badge. It does not seem that people are happy working here, it is basically a job for them, clock in and clock out.

Compensation from what the employees told me were not that great. and the management organizational structure shifted frequently.

First Data Photos