First Data Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
665 reviews filtered by
2.9
Frank Bisignano

Pros
  • Great co-workers depending on your team and relatively good work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Work from Home, Build Great Business Relationships by Representing worldwide Best in Class Products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • High expectations and time commitements - Can impact work life balance negatively (in 14 reviews)

• 401k match was eliminated, Health care benefits are expensive with a high deductible (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Proud to be an Owner-Associate

Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

First Data provides a wealth of opportunities to expand and grow within the organization. As an Owner-Associate I am empowered to make decisions and influence how our solutions are brought to market through the understanding of our client's genuine concern.

Cons

First Data has a complex environment due to numerous acquisitions. We have however done a much better job with our newer acquisitions such as Clover, Perka and GYFT.

Continue to look at the talent within the organization for key leadership roles.

Feb 26, 2015Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We're glad to head that you feel proud and empowered. We're happy to have you on the team.

Opinion of working at FDC for less than a year

I have been working at First Data

Pros

The organization wants me to grow, learn from different teams, and move around (lateral or vertical) in the company where I want to move. I have had exposure to almost every team within FDC. I'm surrounded by smart people.

My team is supportive and like family. Really... this company is like family. When I need help, I make it known. It doesn't matter if it's the weekend or if it's past 5p. We are team players; we all hold shares of the company. If my team fails, I fail.

We are doing a lot of good in our communities. We are involved with the LGBT community and we support hiring veterans. We have part of the organization that focuses solely on helping small business owners.

Cons

Reorganizing the company means out with the old in with the new. There are so many new people and changes, just when you get comfortable - things will change.

Pay is not competitive after taking the benefits package into consideration. Everyone is aware that they are not getting paid as well others with the same career & you can sense that awkward financial frustration.

It is proven that employees will work harder and create more revenue for the company when they are happy. While we are cutting corners to build revenue (no more matching 401k), you are loosing happiness of employees. This is increasing your turnover rate.

Let's study the happiness factor of FDC employees and try to increase it!

Mar 9, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for your comments. We're glad that you find First Data to be a supportive and rewarding environment. We're all in it together.

Exciting times!

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

All employees of FD are now owner-associates, truly vested in our future! We finally have a CEO and senior management team who have proven themselves and are well-equipped to take us into the future and be very successful. Messaging inside the company is we will win together and be a part of a major turnaround! I am very proud to work at First Data.

Cons

We have taken a hit with medical benefits and time off plans which are not as rich as they used to be. However, if FD ultimately wins in the long run all employees will reep even bigger benefits.

Mar 9, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad to have you on the team.

Great place to work! Exciting Changes!

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting new products. Good Management with vision and a plan. Stock Ownership! Opportunity for personal growth - learn from some of the best in the industry.

Cons

The firm is going through changes, which are very positive - including focusing on the culture. This is an area that needs continued focus.

Continue to communicate with Owner-Associates.

For being a "processing company", it sure has taken on a new image lately - lets hope it continues

Current Employee - Anonymous IT in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous IT in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice techy place to work. Managers seem to get the new role of tech around here which is nice. There is a lot of legacy to deal with, which IMHO is a good thing, since it can be built upon for the future. Being an owner-associate is quite cool - because you have a real stake in what is going on and can help influence the future.

Cons

The diverse environment can be hard to learn. Some folks like the old ways and others want to do it the new way. The volume of work can be challenging at times.

Keep us moving in the right direction - the new tech of Apple Pay, Perka, Gyft and others is good to see.

The largest payment processing company

I worked at First Data

Pros

I enjoyed the environment and i like the rewards program.

Cons

The mentor program was nice but left something to be desired.e.

Mar 9, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for your comments. If you'd like to share your thoughts on the mentor program, please email employeecomms@firstdata.com.

Fun in the beginning but then Management changed

Former Employee - Assistant Technical Support in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Technical Support in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at First Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, relaxed atmosphere, lots of parties and different departments. Calls were easy. Could go to another department daily.

Cons

Their absence policy was awful, lay offs were embarrassing, management could be dirty and underhanded at times. If your department slowed down they would throw you somewhere else which was frustrating

Relax on absentee policy, keep the good atmosphere but mainly just listen to your employees and dont make them feel tricked or cornered

Recently joined First Data and it is an incredibly exciting time to be here.

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at First Data full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding management team; very good compensation; remarkable turnaround of the business; lots of room for professional growth; friendly people; palpable level of excitement around the future of First Data; strong team atmosphere

Cons

Benefits are decent but not great; had a long period of financial losses before current management team took over

The strategic vision has been laid out and now it's important to maintain focus across the organization and execute at a high level.

Mar 17, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for your review. Glad to have you on the team.

Constant change, moving in a positive direction

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I learn something new every single day. The pace is incredibly demanding, which can be a plus, or a minus.

Cons

Because there is so much going on, I rarely feel like I'm accomplishing all I need to do.

While equity is an important piece of the future compensation package, it won't be as much of a wealth-builder for lower paid employees than it is at the top. Sometimes, the leaders go overboard in their enthusiasm for something that will benefit them significantly.

Mar 12, 2015Community Manager

Very glad to hear that you're learning something every day. We think ongoing education is fundamental to career growth. If you're feeling like you're not accomplishing everything, talk to your ... More

Ups and Downs. 20 year employee. Seen ups and downs. Right now is a huge up. Great place to grow and be challenged.

Current Employee - Vice President in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Vice President in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Global leader in rapidly changing payments technology industry, new innovative products, turnaround has taken place and it's very exciting to be a part of the next chapter. Many positive changes.

Cons

Very rapid pace of change and many, many changes. Things might change and then change again. Benefits not as generous as they used to be, which can be seen as a "take away" to existing employees.

Consider all ramifications when making sweeping changes, especially to things employees rely on.

Mar 12, 2015Community Manager

Right now *is* a huge up and we're thankful to have a deep bench of people like you on the team with deep industry experience. It's great that you feel challenged even after 20 years.