First Data Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
2.4

Frank Bisignano

Pros
  • Work from Home, Build Great Business Relationships by Representing worldwide Best in Class Products (in 23 reviews)

• Great co-workers depending on your team and relatively good work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • High expectations and time commitements - Can impact work life balance negatively (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management say what they think people want to hear then do the opposite (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Was once a great place to work.

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Development of employees and consistant change of products to assist you in your career development. There were alot of incentives for employees to perform well and were rewarded as such until the KKR acquisition, the incentives went away, and things went to shambles. The place literally went from being an enjoyable place to work into a place that no one wanted to wake up and come to work for.

Cons

Removal of strong medical benefits, no 401k match, time off reduced, given stock options as if we "own" a piece of the business however none of us will see that money, a CEO that does not support longevity and knowledge of the business as his only focus is on getting a presence in New York.

When faced with hard decisions, do not give in to the status quo and stand up for your teams, employees, and departmental areas.

One year....

Former Employee - Fraud Analyst/Retention Specialist/Card Activations in Omaha, NE

I worked at First Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quick turn-over, meaning, openings all the time
    Nice people, overall.

Cons

No personal workspace (desk/cubical) so you may feel like just a number, unimportant, not many raises. Terrible place if you have allergies.
    Needed user-friendly training.

I would strongly recommend that supervisors not share facts like, not receiving a raise in over three years, creates a bleak outlook for employees and a down right bummer.

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

there is growth if you are there long enough and have the drive

Cons

benefits are not good at all!

Good experience

Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at First Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solitarily for employees, freedom to be self

Cons

New CEO & changes, no compassion from Management & high turn over due to no compassion

Great atmosphere and work life balance

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Baltimore, MD

I worked at First Data full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work from home commissions you can make

Cons

Salary low sometimes work can seem tedious

Keep up the great work

Processing Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at First Data full-time

Pros

The work is ridiculously easy and there are a lot of good people to make friends because this place is very close knit.

Cons

If the managers like you then they will like you get away with a lot more errors. Also, the site manager is not a nice man or approachable and he only cares about first shift. Management expect you to do too much work and it doesn't help that the machine jams ALL THE TIME. I heard it was a lot better as Citigroup

The site manager definitely plays favorites among the managers. Also some of the managers act very unprofessional such as talking badly about employees and instigating drama.

Just started so jury is still out

Current Employee - Tele Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Tele Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Data full-time (less than an year)

Pros

sales, & i like to make lots of money

Cons

base is VERY low but you can make it up in commession

NA

Great company with a terrible compensation policy

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a fast paced company that offers plenty of opportunities to learn if you are willing to put in the effort.

Cons

Terrible compensation structure that penalizes loyal employees with 10% caps on merit increases and pay bands that severely limit growth opportunities and keep employees well below market value. Jobs will post with a pay band of $45k to $95k, so external candidates can easily ask for the 80-90 range but a qualified internal candidate making 50k will only be offered $55k to do the same job. If the internal candidate accepts the job and gets promoted again to director they would still be capped at $75k based on previous salary and would likely have direct reports making more than them. I have seen top performing employees with years of experience train new hires that are brought in at higher salaries that would take years of raises or one or two promotions to reach the same level of compensation. Unless you negotiate a salary greater than your market value when initially hired you can expect to be disappointed with any future growth opportunities at this company.

Stop hindering growth and forcing your top talent to look for external jobs based on unfavorable compensation caps that do not apply to external candidates. Entry level employees that prove their value with years of hard work or employees that took jobs with pay cuts during the recession should not be penalized for their entire career at First Data simply because they were initially hired at a discount.

Disappointed...

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at First Data full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have a lot if great things to say about the old First Data being there for over 9 yrs. I was proud to represent this company and see how we evolved over the years with our merchant solutions, services and programs. This company offered me a runway to progress in my career and learn valuable skills (both learning from what to do and not to do). I worked with some great people and it became a family of friends.

Cons

The "new First Data"... this company had gone through MANY leadership changes over the years I was there. There were many different stop and starts however we changed drastically with thus last change. Strong Leaders no longer stood up for what was right, we became a yes organization even when it didn't make sense b/c so and so said so. We provided "promotional opportunities" for ppl by saying take this new role because you deserve it for all you do but there is not an increase even if you are way below others. They want you to trust them to make it up to you in the future but they have done nothing to display we can trust their great intentions. It is sad because I saw myself staying there for many more years however when your morals and values no longer even come close to how the new company is ran, it was time to make a change. Also with no raises and little bonuses being paid, increased benefit cost, elimination of PTO and 401k our total comp no longer compared to the market.

In this case, I left the company not my manager as I loved working for her and my leadership. There was nothing they could do in this situation since the top tier are doing what they want and bulldozing everything/ everyone in their way or who disagrees. Very sad! This company will continue to lose great people if it continues this way. Yes, changes needed to occur since we have been struggling and that is what Frank was brought in to do however, there needs to be a balanced approach. Remember, without satisfied and engaged employees, you do not have a successful organization. I wish First Data all the best!

Once a powerhouse in the payments industry

I worked at First Data full-time

Pros

Amazing people with tremendous tenure and payments knowledge; massive distribution network; most employees are passionate about their customers and really want the company to succeed.

Cons

Senior leadership typically does not trust the expertise and judgment of the staff. Actions don't appear to be consistent with stated corporate values.

Lighten up a bit on the big bank management style and bureaucracy. Perhaps pass on the jets and cars. Trust that more payments knowledge exists in First Data staff than in any other company. They'll help you be successful.

First Data Photos