First Data Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
2.4

Frank Bisignano

Pros
  • Pay is decent but could be better, work from home on occasion (in 19 reviews)

• Great co-workers depending on your team and relatively good work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management say what they think people want to hear then do the opposite (in 24 reviews)

• High expectations and time commitements - Can impact work life balance negatively (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Once a powerhouse in the payments industry

I worked at First Data full-time

Pros

Amazing people with tremendous tenure and payments knowledge; massive distribution network; most employees are passionate about their customers and really want the company to succeed.

Cons

Senior leadership typically does not trust the expertise and judgment of the staff. Actions don't appear to be consistent with stated corporate values.

Lighten up a bit on the big bank management style and bureaucracy. Perhaps pass on the jets and cars. Trust that more payments knowledge exists in First Data staff than in any other company. They'll help you be successful.

Good company to work for

I worked at First Data full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, work life balance, opportunity for advancement

Cons

None that I can think of

A lot of politics but good place to start a career

Former Employee - Risk Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at First Data full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get the opportunity learn many software. The best thing about this place is the people. Everyone wants to help you learn and it's a relaxed environment. Management will always be available if you have any concerns. This is a great place for someone with zero or very little experience.

Cons

Not that many career opportunities. Most of the senior analyst have been there for many years and will not leave. Since the Houston location mainly deals with Check transactions, it's very rare that new opportunities open up. The benefits are not that great. The new CEO took away our 401k matching percentage, and our health insurance is pretty expensive.

Demand more from senior analysts.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A bit of a rocky ride...

Current Employee - Security Analyst  in  Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Security Analyst in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at First Data full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people here are good people, who want to find reasons to do a good job. I think the company has a lot of upside potential. Processes seem to be improving. This company is betting heavily that Bisignano can turn the ship around. I hope he does.

Cons

Constant reorgs for the last few years have the company in a chaotic state. It's getting better, and we are trying to be patient.
    Pay/benefits are under national average.

We were told benefits were being cut b/c we don't deserve top tier benefits working for a company that isn't profitable (we WERE profitable until KKR bought us and saddled us with asphyxiating debt). I have no problem with that if the brand new upper-level management toes the same line. My advice? Practice what you preach (in all areas) and you will have employees who bend over backwards for you.

Good Vision, Old school management style

Current Employee - Vice President Sales  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has a very powerful vision. Great training program.

Cons

Benefits are expensive and there is no 401k matching program

First Data

I have been working at First Data full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The levels of call center knowledge you gain. First Data has a wonderful on-line classes you can take in different areas.

Cons

First Data is a great place to work; however, it would be nice if the local colleges offered more degrees to fit a variety of technical jobs.

Developed good work ethic but communication is horrible

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at First Data as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You learn to be a better PM by owning your project.
    You get meaningful training

Cons

They drop you like a hot potato with no warning
    too many acronyms in the company
    No solid structure

They won't listen

Very unorganized and super slow for anything to be done

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Accountant in Englewood, CO

I have been working at First Data as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

It is a very big company, domestic and international, there are many opportunities to grow and advance and transfer to other area of interest,

Cons

It appears that the hiring process is very unorganized. It takes a very long time to interview and hire someone.

Value Your Employees

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at First Data full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I worked at First Data I liked the PTO and vacation time. I also received a gift card for perfect attendance every month.

Cons

I quit the job because I did the work of 2-3 people daily. They need to restructure the work force and have everyone work everyday. Just because you earned PTO time does not mean you should be gone 2 days out of 5 days and leave early for the remaining days you should be working. It does wear out new people, thus, the high turnaround to keep new people who always get burned out working extensively for those who are have been burned out after working 20 years at the company. Not a good set up for a company at all!

Maybe you can sit at the desk and help take customer service calls after you let your tenured employees leave early every day!

Once Incredibly Awesome Productive Sales Environment Turned Awfully Painful with Intense Micromanagement

Current Employee - Business Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Data full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work from Home, Build Great Business Relationships by Representing worldwide Best in Class Products. Very loyal and dedicated employees that work very well together and genuinely care about our clients and businesses. Lots of super long term people still here that care deeply for our company and clients. Terrific new vision- have a good new CEO, but he is one man, and it takes thousands of good people to run our businesses.

Cons

As technology progresses it's becoming too easy for corporation management teams to think they need to measure everything. Measurement is taking over as the priority. Productivity, generating revenues, building relationships with businesses has by far taken a back seat here in this once wonderful culture.
    Multiple Sales Management and training teams have recently taken on an intense bully style of managing people. This style makes people emotionally, physically sick and ruins productivity. 401k match, pay and benefit losses are enough of a sacrifice.

Don't permit new technologies designed to measure Sales productivity have the keys to your own company. Management should gain higher understanding of how seemingly cool tech measuring applications when forced upon employees can crush and destroy sales revenues. Technology companies are getting rich selling our management team on measuring way too much stuff.

Have respect for your own people, products and services- don't buy into every trendy new tech measuring tool that ties up productivity of your own talent you spent so much money growing and investing in over the years. Apps will never replace people learning and understanding your business and building profitable business relationships.
    Put an immediate end to bully style management from the very top company wide-it's unbecoming of any company, let alone a world class organization such as First Data Corporation.

Worked for First Data? Contribute to the Community!