First Data Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
First Data CEO Frank Bisignano
Frank Bisignano

Pros
  • Work-life balance is fairly optimistic (in 25 reviews)

• Ability to work from home when necessary (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good anymore (in 14 reviews)

• No 401k match anymore, benefits are terrible etc (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Proud to be an Owner-Associate

Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

First Data provides a wealth of opportunities to expand and grow within the organization. As an Owner-Associate I am empowered to make decisions and influence how our solutions are brought to market through the understanding of our client's genuine concern.

Cons

First Data has a complex environment due to numerous acquisitions. We have however done a much better job with our newer acquisitions such as Clover, Perka and GYFT.

Advice to Management

Continue to look at the talent within the organization for key leadership roles.

First Data Response

Feb 26, 2015Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We're glad to head that you feel proud and empowered. We're happy to have you on the team.

2. Great company! I'm so glad I switched to First Data

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, I've been so happy with this company. I had an opportunity to join another well known company, but chose this one, and it's been great. I love the involvement I have with my team and the work that goes on. It seems like the company has made very strategic moves that will move us forward with success and at an accelerated pace.

Supportive Team Members - always supportive and understanding of problems; everyone seems loyal to the project/company
    Consistent Communications - regular communication from supervisors, HR, CEO, PR so you're always up-to-date
    Training Opportunities - continuous training that's mandated, so you know what's expected, but also opportunities to train on various tools, all free to you.
    Good Pay
    Diverse Work Culture - working with lots of different people from various parts of the country and from various cultures
    Improvement Opportunities - along with the training opportunities, people seem eager to allow you to help and ask questions so you can get better and gain more knowledge of previously unknown topics
    Consistent Feedback from Managers - reviews happen frequently and are structured

Cons

Because it is a large company, some things take a bit of time to get completed, For example, if you need password help or something is wrong with your pc, you must call an 800 number, and that can take a while. There is an option to submit a ticket though.
    Also, maybe I missed it in the policy before beginning, but you don't start gaining vacation time until you've been at the company for 3 months. Additionally, time is split up into sick, personal, and vacation. Vacation doesn't roll over each year, sick goes into a sick bank if not used, and personal does roll over, but there's not much of that.
    Insurance is a $2500 or $4000 deductible. If you're not expecting that, you might be really surprised

Advice to Management

Have HR mock up an FAQ hand out for new hires
    Make time off all personal, so we can take it as we wish

3. Summer Internship

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly

I have been working at First Data

Pros

Great opportunity to learn the ins and out of working for a large company. There are many options to grow into something to enjoy.

Cons

If you are younger, you will need some good communication skills. The work force is an aging one so will need to understand and get along with the older generation.

Advice to Management

Communicate face to face with employees. I like this approach.

5. constant reorganization

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With all of the change occurring, there are opportunities for positive change.
    There are several strong and talented executive hired in from other successful companies.

Cons

Unless you are from the new York crowd, your options may be limited.
    It is ridiculous how the new management spent lavishly on hiring friends and family, then decided to cut expenses drastically.
    Experienced employees have left in droves.

Advice to Management

The advice to new management would be to recognize the value of experience in current employees and understand that the team in charge of certain products will probably not tell you about the weaknesses in that product.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Smithsburg, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Smithsburg, MD

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with my team

Cons

not the First Data I started with in 1994

Advice to Management

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel listen more to the people that have been here and remember trying some of these ideas

Director of Product at FD

Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and good potential for new products.

Cons

Poor benefits and long hours.

8. Transition pressure in Organizational structure

I worked at First Data

Pros

Team is a pleasure to work with and openly shares information and procedures as time allows. Good access to technology and various integrated applications. Most employees desire to do a great job, but are stymied by bureaucratic process.

Cons

Technology and procedural transition. Laying off, ending contracts early, closing offices, while holding job fairs. Refers to contract employees as Non-employee. Unable to take any online training as a contractor and access to resources needed to do job are limited or inaccessible. Not a work from home company. Disorganized and pointing fingers among departments at expense of solution and accountability.

First Data is a Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Contact Center Tech Specialist in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

First Data offers opportunities to their Owner-Associates (Employees) to further their education with tuition reimbursement and provides an in-house MindSpring company curriculum resource. They encourage employees to assist with growing the company. Employees are spot lighted during the year for their excellent accomplishments. We all take ownership in the company. First Data encourages their employees to stay healthy and provides assistance through a program called HealthyFirst. First Data is a Good place to work.

Cons

First Data doesn't employer match the 401k Retirement fund. Maybe in the future that will change as we continue to grow as a company.

Advice to Management

Once we reach the company's overall goal, start to match the employee's 401k Retirement fund. Management and employees are doing an outstanding job. Keep up the Good Work!

10. Current Employee

Current Employee - Current Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at First Data full-time

Pros

Work from home, flexibility to schedule workload, great people within the organization, strong teamwork within many segments.

Cons

Some long time managers are a little out of touch with some aspects of certain roles. The company is taking away some things in an effort to cut expenses - this could prove to it hard for people to do their jobs effectively.

Advice to Management

Try to consider the future aspect of operational consistency while also being mindful of current challenges. In other words, changes being made now can sometimes make for a rocky road later both internally and for the clients.

Always closing offices

Former Employee - Technical Implmentation Analyst in North Olmsted, OH
    Former Employee - Technical Implmentation Analyst in North Olmsted, OH

I worked at First Data full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, good pay and benefits while you are employed.

Cons

Constantly downsizing, closing thirty-one locations in the U.S. by year end. During this process employees with be "asked" to leave without notice.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to quit bringing his cronies in and be an advocate for the people that know the business! With the mass exodus in process you will be left with no one with experience to do the work.

RSS Feed </> Embed