www.firstdata.com

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
2.5

Frank Bisignano

Pros
  • Great co-workers depending on your team and relatively good work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Work from Home, Build Great Business Relationships by Representing worldwide Best in Class Products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • High expectations and time commitements - Can impact work life balance negatively (in 14 reviews)

• 401k match was eliminated, Health care benefits are expensive with a high deductible (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Benefits are alright, Slightly Money Hungry, and below average pay-grades

Current Employee - Information Technology in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work 12 hour overnight shifts while having 3-4 days off at a time. The work-life balance is alright, but I would not recommend working the overnight shift for the long haul. This has taken a toll on myself and others as we progress towards years and years of being with the company. Easy to move laterally, given you make the right connections. Stay on top of your job and do not mess up and you will not face consequences.

Cons

The leadership is outrageously Director and up favoritism. In regards to personal growth, I have learned a lot over the years regarding large corporations and the warning signs of lay-offs in the future working for a company notorious for doing this. I have also learned to just keep your head down and keep working most of the time. Compensation is below average. If we are lucky, we may get a 5% increase in pay every couple years. We were offered cash bonuses yearly up until the new CEO took over. Now we are offered "stock bonds" for when the company is put up for IPO, which is revocable by the company at any time. So essentially, this "bonus" is worth nothing to us. Directors and up can sell their stock bonds before everyone below the food chain gets a chance to.

Upon the new CEO taking over, our personal time off was cut from 5 days to 1 day (for 12 hour employees.) Our benefits were reduced to rubble pretty much. Nothing is changing for the new year as far as I can see. Our 12 data centers are being reduced to 3. A lot of people have been laid off in multiple locations across the US for performance reasons in order to keep a "highly skill oriented workforce."

Listen to your employees more often. Offer promotions/more compensation for people who work for their fair share. Share what is going on with your employees from up the food chain, keep us aware.

Credit risk

I have been working at First Data

Pros

Decent hours. Not a long interview process.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Great People - but a lot of change

Former Employee - Project Manager in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. People really care about getting the job done and getting it done correctly.

Cons

There has been a great deal of change at the top over the past few years. This makes a bit of uncertainty for employees.

Provide more visibility to long-term strategic goals with definitive plans as to how these goals are to be achieved.

Former Employee - Software Test Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Software Test Analyst in Englewood, CO

I worked at First Data

Pros

Experience, management, software and tools to work with.

Cons

Management, or lack thereof; promotions non-existent; knowledge base (brain trust) is not appreciated or garnered for growth; a total waste of resources.

Fire everyone and start over. Contract-to-hire personnel are the best, give them a chance to go perm full-time.

worked over 13 years for First Data

I worked at First Data

Pros

Great company...if you perform, they will leave you alone and you can make unlimited income.

Cons

Because they are so large, when they change organizations and/or products, it's usually on a large scale.

President's Club needs to go back to 'Old Days'.

Associate App Dev

Current Employee - Associate App Dev
    Current Employee - Associate App Dev

I have been working at First Data

Pros

Great company for entry level jobs. Okay benefits as well.

Cons

Company des not mathc 401k and salary is abit low.

It's great. I have no complaints. You will never find perfection. Take the good with the bad.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the people I work with.

Cons

I really don't have any.

My immediate managers are very good.

ATMCC Associate

Former Employee - ATM Contact Center Associate III in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - ATM Contact Center Associate III in Wilmington, DE

I worked at First Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great People, interesting work subject

Cons

24hr call center open on holidays, they do have a system for how you choose what holiday you work, but I have gotten stuck working on New Years Eve, New Years Day, etc

T

The Left Hand doesn't know what the Right Hand is doing

Current Employee - Processing Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Processing Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work is ridiculously easy yet tedious.
    Typical 8-5pm work schedule M-F with the option to work overtime if it is available by choice.
    They have a HealthyStart program where if your health score is good you end up getting a max of $950 added to your HSA by the company. They also have a smoke cessation program that will pay $350 towards that HSA too
    Under the leadership of the new CEO, First Data has received numerous awards for the hiring efforts of military and their spouses. Also recently rated top company for LGBT in terms of diversity.

Cons

Many of the people here have worked here 10+ years in the same department. You are moved around laterally (usually due to boredom at the current job), but I've yet to see anyone move up in the company at least not in my location. They either stay here, or find another job. No one seems to know the meaning of efficiency. Everyone is focused on doing their job and only their job with the idea of logic going out the window many times. A simple issue that is easy to fix in 5 minutes ends up going through tons of red tape and 2 weeks later you're at the same conclusion you would've been had you done it in the first 5 minutes.

Office culture is very much a clique. Everyone knows everyone's business (and management has no problem being in the know either) which causes tension. No true sense of teamwork here...every man and woman for themselves.

This company does layoffs on an annual basis, conducts pay freezes as well as hiring freezes. During evaluations, management will tell you how they aren't sure you will get a raise because 1) your production isn't high enough 2) upper management says there may not be. What they don't tell you is the less they (mgt) pays out, the more they get to pocket for themselves at the end of the year for their bonus! They've also gotten rid of 401k and health benefits are ridiculous ie. $4k deductibles for people making under $35,000!!

A better way to boost morale and show your employees you appreciate them is NOT by walking around handing out stale bags of chips and pretzels with a bottle of Kroger water with a note saying "Thank you for being a great Employee". Work on ways to fight for your employees to keep them here, not doing layoffs on an annual basis.

Instead of focusing so much on production numbers, ask those who are doing the work to share ways they could make things more efficient which will boost production numbers.

Have your managers actually doing their job and managing instead of sitting in meetings all day. Also, as a new director, it may be better to go around and show your face or sit in on team meetings so you can get a better grasp of what is going on in your own department instead of sitting in your office all day.

For those employees who do want to grow with the company, allow them the resources and connections to do so or you will find them taking their talent elsewhere.

Business Consultant

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Spokane, WA

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very organized and efficient management. VP's and top tier HQ executives listen to everyone's concerns. Great benefits.

Cons

It's all about hitting your number and nothing else. You MUST be a self starter and continually change your approach to be successful.

First Data Photos