First Data Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
694 reviews filtered by

The New First Data - moving in the right direction

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

New focus on owner associates (employees) by providing additional training, listening to the current talent; helping everyone focus on making First Data a better place to work. In the last year and a half, I have regained the pride I used to have when I state that work for First Data. There have been many accolades over the last few months for our focus and determination; great leadership, focus on veterans, women in business.

Cons

First Data is a large and growing organization, there are sometimes growing pains which come to the forefront but at current, are quickly addressed.

Advice to Management

Continue to build First Data into the best company and the best place to work.

2. Former employee

I worked at First Data

Pros

fun job, great company, good relationship with bank

Cons

some very bad players in the industry

3. Systems Engineer II

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, most of the senior colleagues are good to work with and you can learn a lot of new things from technical perspective, also they have all sort of tools to learn. Great Manager and Director/VP, you will have a room to grow yourself.

Cons

Some of the colleagues have no mutual understadning specially when you work in a team, sometimes when you get late people report to your manager and spy on you.

Advice to Management

Please consider giving bonus to all employees regardless, however, I understand it vaires based on the performance of each employee but still every employee should deserve for bonus.

5. Great Company

Current Employee - Project Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best boss I have ever had in any job.

Cons

Salary restrictions are antiquated. Lack of training in management roles may not create the same positive experience that I am getting for others.

Advice to Management

Pay structure and restrictions need revisited and updated.

Apr 9, 2015Social Media Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We'd be interested in hearing more about your thoughts on the pay structure. Feel free to email employeecomms@firstdata.com.

FD keeps getting better and better

Current Employee - Director of Relationship Management in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Director of Relationship Management in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with FD for 8yrs and each year is better and better.

Cons

The ramp up for a newcomer is about one year. Hard to navigate at times.

Employee

I worked at First Data

Pros

Excellent benefits and challenging opportunities

Cons

management is out of touch with the workers on the front line

Advice to Management

Be more aware of what is really going on in the office, stop depending on middle management to communicate honestly

A typically disfunctional large corporation

Current Employee - IT Director in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - IT Director in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time

Pros

There are so many areas in the company that desperately need attention that if you show any drive or initiative whatsoever in doing something you can become a key player or drive that strategy in many cases.

Cons

First Data is typical of many large corporations. It is highly dis-functional. I used to believe that FDC was excessive in this regard. But I've come to discover while things are very bad at FDC, in many ways they are just as bad at other large corporations.

When I started at FDC each of the major business units ran as a separate business unit. In an effort to control costs and get ready for going private the company split of Western Union and several like business units. They also began to consolidate teams and consolidate data centers. The company went private before those activites were completed. After the global financial crisis the company struggled to stay afloat and had a revolving door of 5 CEOs along with the staff and strategies each of them brought in.

The new CEO is the best CEO the company has had in a long time. But, as part of his efforts to control costs insurance costs have gone up, bonus pay has decreased, and 401K matching has been eliminated. In addition they have removed the ability to work from home, they have eliminated all corporate cell phones for employees (including on call personnel) with an expectation for you to provide your own phone, and they working towards a centralized virtual desktop model that will eliminate corporate provided laptops and desktop PC's. Overall when you look at the cuts they amount to as much as a 20% "soft" pay cut. Couple that with the fact that there have been numerous years with minimal or no pay increase and overall comp for many employees has not kept up with inflation.

The company is desperately trying to make up for not investing in emerging technology, product development, etc.... The issues is much like the company was in the late 90's the acquisitions are not being integrated into the organization. That is a positive and a negative. The positive is that the big org is dis-functional, and these small business units stay productive by staying independent. The negative is that at some point FDC will face the same challenges it faced in the 90's again of trying to tie these companies into the organization.

Before the current leadership the culture in FDC was geared towards not making changes, and if you did make changes and there was an impact, you could be fired. Changing that cultural mindset and getting people to embrace change takes time, and the company is still working to drive change and fix all the broken processes at FDC.

Currently many corporate functions are being moved to NY/NJ since the new Sr. Leadership is there. The general impression by many people is that if you are in one of the existing locations, a long time employee, and not a new hire from JP Morgan Chase, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Advice to Management

Fix the compensation. The company is advocating meritocracy, but even that can be wildly subjective based on the manager. Measuring success and failure still needs more work.

Provide opportunities for advancement / raises.

Bring back the the work from home policy.

If you can't or won't replace the benfits/perks to employees now, then deliver a long term strategy on if/when they might return.

Apr 24, 2015Social Media Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We'd be interested in hearing more about your thoughts on creating a long term strategy for benefits. Feel free to email employeecomms@firstdata.com.

credit card processing

Former Employee - Technical Documentation Writer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Documentation Writer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at First Data

Pros

fascinating processes and great people to work with

Cons

no employee training or introduction on company products

Advice to Management

I love the new focus on customer service and support (i.e training). Consider the same treatment for new employees! A little informational training on your product line would go a LONG way to help your employees help the company.

Mar 31, 2015Social Media Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the insight into employee training. This is definitely something we are trying to improve with better internal communications and tools.

Regional Business Director

Former Employee - Regional Relationship Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Regional Relationship Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at First Data full-time

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility, compensation plan is comparable to others in the industry

Cons

Too many meetings, conference calls, no structure , horrible training

Advice to Management

You need to develop operating procedures, and valuable training, less conference calls

Opportunity

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Never stop learning, ample opportunity to grow, rewarding.

Cons

Uncertainty about company's future but all signs point to heading in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Know your people, treat employees as adults even if sometimes they don't act like ones.

Apr 9, 2015Social Media Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and we appreciate your honest feedback. We're confident in successfully transforming First Data into an innovative technology company and we're glad to ... More