First Data Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
668 reviews filtered by

Very exciting time to be here

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at First Data

Pros

At First Data, I feel like I have a lot of options for career growth. Also, the people I work with are incredibly dedicated to their jobs and seeing the company succeed. The company is undergoing a major transformation, which is exciting to watch.

Cons

There isn't any 401K matching, which I was initially concerned about. That said, all employees receive equity in the company which makes it feel more like a start-up - like we are all working together to make the company successful.

Keep doing what you're doing. I feel like we are on the right track, and can't wait to see what's next.

Mar 17, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for being part of the transformation.

it was a nice experience to work here. i like people at the company very much. they are very kind.

I have been working at First Data

Pros

nice location, nice people, good company culture, and so on.

Cons

time, salary, vocation, work, co-worker

Mar 9, 2015Community Manager

Thanks.

Pretty good call center

Former Employee - Terminal Support in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Terminal Support in Omaha, NE

I worked at First Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working for this company. There are many benefits that start right away like health care although you have to wait a few months to get time off the same day when things get slow. They have great training. The managers I worked with were caring, overly helpful, and knowledgeable. If they don't know something, they will seek help. When I needed time off due to health condition, my manager was an extraordinary help. They have automated their PTO and employee notification system, also some things are accessible from home. You also have access to learning new skills via their employee portal during your downtime. I learned new skills such as troubleshooting and how credit cards and terminals work, it's a skill like flying blind but it's a skill you grow into. They have interdepartmental transfers so you can get hired into another part of the company. I really liked it and would still be there if I wasn't a call center burnout (I worked in several call centers before and it was not this company's fault. It was just time for a career change.The trainers for all intents and purposes had varying styles but know their products inside and out. They had hands on experience and it showed. I encountered one who was in over her head but I had enough help that it didn't matter, plus she finally changed to a job that was closer to her specialty. I also could browse the internet when calls were not coming in - the usual restrictions like no online email outside of work, no NSFW sites, no music or movie sites, no social network sites... the usual. You just had to minimize the browser and handle your calls.

Cons

Stats were sometimes an issue, especially when a job gets stressful. Some of the agents needed additional training or refreshers. At times the turnover was a problem. Good information sometimes required several calls to different numbers to provide what a caller needed. There were several different contractors and Independent Sales reps to speak with and all of them had different procedures varying in availablity and sometimes subject to change. Also, not enough time to concentrate on the learning on the job portal. Also this company is in flux - instead of offering a 401k, they are taking their contributions to retirement and putting it into shares in order to get back on the stock exchange and become a traded company. But please be aware, we can't always take stock of the future can we?

I had a stellar manager who was one of the best I had in my 20+ years of fulltime work. Definitely a top five boss. I hope you hire more of these folks. Please do not allow yourselves to become like every other call center where you work your people until they burn out. Allow your employees more time for self enrichment on the clock and slightly longer breaks. Have some more flexibility. A call center environment is stressful enough and training costs lots of money per head. Although contracts are important, stress shows when you reduce an employee's usefulness to numbers and stats.

Mar 9, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for your comments. We're happy to hear that your experience at First Data was rewarding. All the best in your new career.

Senior Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data

Pros

Used a lot of systems and applications. Reporting kept changing with management change and organizational change.

Cons

Reporting kept changing with management change and organizational change.

Need more work life balance. No procedures.

Management not good.

Former Employee - Engineer in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Engineer in Wilmington, DE

I worked at First Data full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people and insight gym

Cons

Bonuses were low and no 401K matches.

To communicate more with peers.

Great experience, a lot of opportunity.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, loved the work/life balance

Cons

Having such a large layoff is by far the worst con ever.

Mar 4, 2015Community Manager

We're glad you enjoyed the experience, your co-workers and the work/life balance.

Always something new to learn

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at First Data

Pros

Love working for a company that values their employees - advance from within. Treated with dignity and respect

Cons

As with any large company things change based on the ener changing economey - health benefits decline as every other company.

Continue respecting employees - allowing for internal growth

Feb 25, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for your review. We agree that everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.

9. Middle of the road

Current Employee - Customer Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at First Data full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As a technician, you get to work indoors, in a single location. Tools are provided, and the chicago location i work in has a very good location with a parking garage for car owners, and a blue line stop IN THE PARKING LOT! It's also next to the airport so you can leave your car at work in a secure garage if you're taking a trip. They do hire a diverse group of people of all backgrounds. They're releasing new products to work on profitability, and they were successful last year (2014).

Cons

Industry - payment processing isn't exactly an interesting field, more of a necessity, so it doesn't attract very high quality people who get genuinely excited about the work they do. this applies to payment processing, not just first data.
    company values - it's a payment processing company, so they'd like to make money, no matching 401k, merit/evaluation based raises are not competitive. They're in a "building stage" as of 2015, trying to get the business back into the black, with some positive momentum, but it might be awhile before the employees benefit from anything.
    5 tier evaluation system - Every year someone in each department has to be ranked as a "low performer", which puts them on the chopping block for termination. This makes the idea of playing the long game with talent, pretty much impossible, keeps a steady flow of mediocrity in hiring/termination practices, because you can't construct a cohesive long term team environment.

I've had very little interaction with "upper management". My Manager isn't locally based, but from the interactions I've had with upper level management in my work group, they appear to have solid maintenance backgrounds and seem positive about reviews and constructive solutions. The local management staff here are in a different department, and they appear solid for some shifts, weak on others, they could use quite a bit of improvement by way of communication, but either way the work gets done around here quick enough for the lackluster folks to slip under the radar, because the production hourly employees are very experienced.

Mar 12, 2015Community Manager

We have to disagree with you about payments not being an interesting field. It's one of the hottest sectors in the tech industry right now, with innovations taking place at an ever-increasing ... More

Questionable Executive Actions

Current Employee - Manager IT in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Manager IT in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are some folks left that genuinely care and are helpful. With constant change, it is rarely boring.

Cons

It seems most Glassdoor reviews are fairly consistent with their message. However, there has been a very noticeable flood of executive level reviews giving 5 stars. I am all for freedom of opinion, but this is a bit concerning.

The majority of the folks doing the actual work are contractors as attrition rates are high (for those that have not been laid off).

No retirement security - no 401k matching, cap on contributions. Executives no doubt have their golden parachute, leaving those at the bottom with nothing.

If you are not an executive from JPMorgan you have no future - $millions in fines have been paid to JPMorgan for poaching their executives. How can the company afford that? Could it be 401k savings?

Vacation days eliminated - This was advertised as a new benefit to employees: we now have Veteran's and President's day off by converting two personal days to company holidays, leaving us with 2 personal days. However, executive management didn't think we could do the math and realize that our previous 7 days minus 2 converted days should leave us with 5, not 2. If you are going to screw the employees at least man up to it.

Executives implemented a BYOD program for cell phones. Those with on-call duties with company cell phones could turn them in and use their own with a company paid stipend. Shortly after everybody converted, they stated the stipend has been terminated and on-call resources are responsible for providing a personal phone for company use. They also reserve the right to monitor communications and usage of your personal phone with the right to confiscate. This is if you choose to access company email on the device -- which is pretty much required to do your job if you are on call. By the way, I believe this is not even legal in some states.

Reorganizations within the company are a daily occurrence. It seems at least once a week there is an email going out with news of a new JPMorgan executive, moving of teams resulting in layoffs, or new teams altogether. It is extremely difficult to know who does what and how to get things done.

Medical coverage is very poor and you can nearly do as well insuring yourself through other avenues.

Cash bonuses have been replaced by stock grants. However, it is not a public company, so they are not worth anything.

Teams are extremely short staffed, and the majority of the staff on hand are new contractors. There has been a tremendous loss of talent and business knowledge.

Your employees at the bottom are important contrary to what is seems you feel. We seem to be at a ratio of 1:1 management:worker. Attrition rates and contractor %'s are very high. Start treating the "owner associates" with respect.

Mar 10, 2015Community Manager

It seems that you're frustrated in your work and we want to help. Please email employeecomms@firstdata.com to begin a real dialogue with us. The value of our stock has increased by about 30% over the ... More

Everything taken

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at First Data full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of changes. The company is getting a lot of new talent in the door.

Cons

This changes include: no 401K match, Heath insurance changed to high deductible, personal days have been reduced and volunteer day has been taken away. Lots of turnover.

Try to keep the good employees that make a difference in the company. Give credit to your employees for going above and beyond, do not take credit and tell others it was your idea.