First Data Reviews

666 reviews filtered by

1. Tight ship

Former Employee - Operations Representative in Monterey Park, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Representative in Monterey Park, CA

I worked at First Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work was very consistent. Most people were nice to work with. Management was fair regarding policies. Nice quiet location.

Cons

There was not a lot of opportunity for growth at this location. The work was very repetitive and you could get easily burned out because you still had to make quotas everyday.

Create more training opportunities for the employees and be more encouraging to those who want to grow. More incentives would be beneficial too.

Mar 12, 2015Community Manager

There are many training and education opportunities in MindSpring. If you're not familiar with that resource or with other advancement opportunities at First Data, talk to your manager or email ... More

First Data

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

First Data provides opportunities to be part of the next generation of innovative payment system advances. The commitment to providing a secure environment for consumers to transact in the growing online and face-to-face marketplace is unequaled in this industry.

Cons

First Data is a very complex organization in part due to multiple acquisitions over the last couple decades. Integration of these systems is slowly progressing and has become more focused in recent years.

Continue to look at the talent within the organization for key leadership roles

Feb 25, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for your feedback. If you'd like to share additional comments, feel free to email us at employeecomms@firstdata.com.

3. Great products, great employee's.

Former Employee - Operations in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Operations in Denver, CO

I worked at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company offers training and inspires personal growth.

Cons

Lots of leadership change which brought many, many changes in order to improve earnings and reduce debt. Employee benefits was greatly impacted along with morale.

Support your employee's.

Mar 10, 2015Community Manager

Your review is curious. Efforts to “improve earnings and reduce debt” are, to most people, a pro, not a con. Everybody at First Data is a shareholder—an owner-associate of the company—and the value ... More

Innovative At Times - Traditional At Times.

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Innovative leader in the payments and tech industries. First Data partners with industry leaders. Many talented coworkers who are rewarding and enjoyable to work with. Great leadership team. Work life balance on point. Fair compensation and bonuses. Quality acquisitions and investments in the recent years (Clover, Perka, Gyft, etc.). A ton of potential.

Cons

Difficult to steer the inner workings of the company (HR, Politics, Compliance, Expense Reports, etc.). At times, departments can feel siloed and you feel like you're working for a dated company. Corporate priorities seem to be well thought out most of the time but occasionally can be thoughtless and last minute.

Upper management has done a great job steering this giant ship around and beginning the transformation into a leader in the financial and technology industries. If business moves that way then it makes sense to create a culture that follows. If young and talented prospects are wanted at First Data then the culture needs to change.

Feb 25, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for your comments. We'd be interested in hearing more about your thoughts on the culture. Feel free to email employeecomms@firstdata.com.

Sometimes shaky, but overall solid career

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is going through a large turnaround. I enjoy being part of this opportunity. The new CEO and executive management have brought with them a significant cultural shift in the company. While some changes are hard to swallow, its easy to see the positive results when you look at the larger picture. I've been with the company through several CEOs and believe Frank is the right guy to lead this company out of the debt laden situation of the leveraged buyout to a profitable public company.

Cons

Change. Change is hard for anyone. This management committee has made some big changes at the employee level like ending 401k matching and implementing an expensive health insurance program . But they have also given all employees ownership in the company. While worth nothing today, the potential once vested after IPO is an exciting opportunity. So we wait and we do our part to help advance the company towards that day.

Fourth quarter 2014 we reported a profit. The first since 2007 I believe. If we continue on this path, as I believe we will, give the 24000 hard working employees a bone and reinstate 401k matching. Ownership is great. Combined with a match in retirement savings helps ensure we will have financial security later in life.

Feb 18, 2015Community Manager

Thank you for your review.

A chance to build something!

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at First Data full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Going through exciting change; best company in industry; we all own a piece of the company.

Cons

Undergoing a transformation so you should want to be a part of change.

More interaction with front line employees

Feb 17, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for your review and suggestion.

My experience of this company was not horrible until the last year or so that I was employed with the company.

Former Employee - Chargeback Representative in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Chargeback Representative in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

they do give their employees company stock

Cons

However the stock you have is worth nothing because it is not publicly traded

If you get rid of the employees that are tenured, you may feel that you are going to be saving money but by hiring new people and training them, you are doing your clientele a disservice.

Feb 17, 2015Community Manager

Sorry to hear that your experience wasn't positive. First Data is committed both to retaining good talent—as evidenced by our strong and highly tenured workforce—and to bringing in new talent. Having ... More

I worked at First Data

Pros

Flexible schedule with high income potential

Cons

Lack of ethics and poor client support

Mar 9, 2015Community Manager

First Data expects all owner-associates to conduct themselves ethically and demonstrate genuine concern for our clients at all times.

Momentum is growing

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Financial progress, leadership delivering on the promise, massive accumulation of talent, clients want to hear what we are doing

Cons

Expectations are high and you need to be prepared to work hard

Don't slow down, and make sure our promise of meritocracy is always delivered

Feb 17, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your review.

Recent Reviews

I have been working at First Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Recent reviews come from high positions and those new to firm. Veterans can have different impression. Loyal veterans love the firm and happy seeing long hard fought success. Vets have been strung along for years.

Cons

Vets not earning money as new co workers do. Time off not consistently given. Loss of days off last year hard on colleagues who value time off with their family. our firm does business all day every day why force specific holidays. Elitist atmosphere such as "VPs should get more time off than those at other ranks" contributes to disengagement in your rank and file. Easy for good colleagues to find a job elsewhere. We will be left with new bankers to run our complex firm. Not so easy to replace.

Treat tenured staff with respect and respect their viewpoint- ownership not as important to some who need money now to pay mortgage or value days off more than ownership. Think outside the 6 figure box and imagine work for average employees. Stop imposing rigid bank atmosphere:'low salaries, 6 foot cubicles with no place to put a jacket (we even had lockers in high school), ties on Fridays, to our technology firm and start appreciating the culture that paved the way for newcomers. It really is not all bad.

Feb 23, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for your feedback. If you'd like to comment further, we invite you to send email to employeecomms@firstdata.com.