First Data Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
694 reviews filtered by

The largest payment processing company

I worked at First Data

Pros

I enjoyed the environment and i like the rewards program.

Cons

The mentor program was nice but left something to be desired.e.

Mar 9, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for your comments. If you'd like to share your thoughts on the mentor program, please email employeecomms@firstdata.com.

Worked as a contract IT Recruiter

Former Contractor - IT Recruiter in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - IT Recruiter in Atlanta, GA

I worked at First Data as a contractor

Pros

Great team of colleagues to work with during my time with First Data, very collaborative.

Cons

No flexibility to work remotely if full-time
    No salary increases for internal employees who are promoted

Advice to Management

Revisit work-from-home policy

If you love competition, a fast pace, challenge and change in the sales space......First Data is for YOU!!!!

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You have great learning and earning potential at a company where you can be an owner/associate!

Cons

You must welcome change and be a quick learner....if you master that the sky is the limit.

Advice to Management

Our management is transparent and open about where we are headed and what is expected of us to get there. They have literally transformed us from top to bottom. They are the BEST LEADERS in the Financial services space and working at First Data TODAY is a fantastic opportunity.

Mar 27, 2015Social Media Manager

Thanks for being part of the transformation and glad to have you on the team! We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

Questionable Executive Actions

Current Employee - Manager IT in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Manager IT in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are some folks left that genuinely care and are helpful. With constant change, it is rarely boring.

Cons

It seems most Glassdoor reviews are fairly consistent with their message. However, there has been a very noticeable flood of executive level reviews giving 5 stars. I am all for freedom of opinion, but this is a bit concerning.

The majority of the folks doing the actual work are contractors as attrition rates are high (for those that have not been laid off).

No retirement security - no 401k matching, cap on contributions. Executives no doubt have their golden parachute, leaving those at the bottom with nothing.

If you are not an executive from JPMorgan you have no future - $millions in fines have been paid to JPMorgan for poaching their executives. How can the company afford that? Could it be 401k savings?

Vacation days eliminated - This was advertised as a new benefit to employees: we now have Veteran's and President's day off by converting two personal days to company holidays, leaving us with 2 personal days. However, executive management didn't think we could do the math and realize that our previous 7 days minus 2 converted days should leave us with 5, not 2. If you are going to screw the employees at least man up to it.

Executives implemented a BYOD program for cell phones. Those with on-call duties with company cell phones could turn them in and use their own with a company paid stipend. Shortly after everybody converted, they stated the stipend has been terminated and on-call resources are responsible for providing a personal phone for company use. They also reserve the right to monitor communications and usage of your personal phone with the right to confiscate. This is if you choose to access company email on the device -- which is pretty much required to do your job if you are on call. By the way, I believe this is not even legal in some states.

Reorganizations within the company are a daily occurrence. It seems at least once a week there is an email going out with news of a new JPMorgan executive, moving of teams resulting in layoffs, or new teams altogether. It is extremely difficult to know who does what and how to get things done.

Medical coverage is very poor and you can nearly do as well insuring yourself through other avenues.

Cash bonuses have been replaced by stock grants. However, it is not a public company, so they are not worth anything.

Teams are extremely short staffed, and the majority of the staff on hand are new contractors. There has been a tremendous loss of talent and business knowledge.

Advice to Management

Your employees at the bottom are important contrary to what is seems you feel. We seem to be at a ratio of 1:1 management:worker. Attrition rates and contractor %'s are very high. Start treating the "owner associates" with respect.

Mar 10, 2015Community Manager

It seems that you're frustrated in your work and we want to help. Please email employeecomms@firstdata.com to begin a real dialogue with us. The value of our stock has increased by about 30% over the ... More

Recently joined First Data and it is an incredibly exciting time to be here.

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at First Data full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding management team; very good compensation; remarkable turnaround of the business; lots of room for professional growth; friendly people; palpable level of excitement around the future of First Data; strong team atmosphere

Cons

Benefits are decent but not great; had a long period of financial losses before current management team took over

Advice to Management

The strategic vision has been laid out and now it's important to maintain focus across the organization and execute at a high level.

Mar 17, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for your review. Glad to have you on the team.

Constant change, moving in a positive direction

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learn something new every single day. The pace is incredibly demanding, which can be a plus, or a minus.

Cons

Because there is so much going on, I rarely feel like I'm accomplishing all I need to do.

Advice to Management

While equity is an important piece of the future compensation package, it won't be as much of a wealth-builder for lower paid employees than it is at the top. Sometimes, the leaders go overboard in their enthusiasm for something that will benefit them significantly.

Mar 12, 2015Community Manager

Very glad to hear that you're learning something every day. We think ongoing education is fundamental to career growth. If you're feeling like you're not accomplishing everything, talk to your ... More

Great place, smart people

I have been working at First Data full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a lot of upside and great talent. Diversified globally and with products. On the forefront of innovation. Driving changes that will help to ensure long term success.

Cons

Media focus has been negative, making it a challenge to get the positive momentum recognized. Like any large company, need to balance expense.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Associate in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Associate in Louisville, KY

I worked at First Data

Pros

Good Benefits and good pay

Cons

N/A with company for a short time as company relocated

Advice to Management

Good company to work for good benefits and good pay

Exciting times!

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of cool new products and feeling like we're on the forefront of technology. New leadership has turned this ship around and we are headed in an awesome direction - possibly to IPO in the next year or two. Lots of hard work required but the payoff will be huge, and ALL employees are equity owners, so we will all reap the reward!

Cons

We've had to give up a few things along the way but I am confident we will see the payoff!

Feb 18, 2015Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

The First Data Way

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Senior Leadership, Equity Ownership, Technology, Meritocracy, Compensation

Cons

Large company matrix it takes awhile to learn how to navigate.

Advice to Management

Continue with diversity efforts

Mar 12, 2015Community Manager