First Databank

Updated July 22, 2014
Updated July 22, 2014
3.5

Greg Dorn

Great company and people.

Former Employee - Customer Care Coordinator
    Former Employee - Customer Care Coordinator

I worked at First Databank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work and challenges
    Enjoyed working with my coworkers
    Great managers

Cons

Overall a great experience. Can't think of any cons.

I don't think I have had a worse experience...

I worked at First Databank

Pros

As with most places you work, you will find some great people here. The work can be interesting and challenging.

Cons

Executive leadership is not concerned with rank-and-file employees well being. Their edicts are "by the book" and lack conviction, as everything seems like corporate "make believe." I have never felt as used and abused as I did at this company. In spite of getting 2 positive performance evaluations, I was fired a week short of completing my first year. It was the most humiliating experience I have ever had in my working life.

Rather than making big pronouncements about what a great company FDB is, try actually living up to the hype. Learn to be decent and treat people fairly.

Favorites

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Databank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Holiday pay, monthly luncheon, Holiday celebrations, some of the employees and some of the supervisors are great to work with. Pay is pretty decent.

Cons

There is favoritism in most departments.
    If they don't like you your life here will be very hard.
    You are not given a lot of chances.
    They can fire you without warning.
    Most departments there is no moving up, even if there are I, II, III levels they all do the same jobs the title is only given after years of being here (unless you have a good manager who values the merits that an employee has shown).
    Difficult to speak with management, they only want to hear that you admit you have done wrong.
    Turn over rate has gone up.
    Moral has gone down.
    Inconsistencies on policies/procedures.

Don't just go with what your higher up is telling you, investigate first then figure out the next steps.

A challenging yet fun place to work

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at First Databank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company does important work to improve drug therapy across several different healthcare settings. The company is a leader in one of the hottest industries - healthcare information technology. The work can be intense and challenging, but very interesting, never boring. The company is poised to grow over the next several years and that means more opportunities.

Cons

From what I understand, there were problems with the senior-most executive a few years ago, but those problems quickly diminished when a new president came on board.

Keep up the positive energy and don't let the organization slide backwards. Keep it fun and challenging. Continue to listen to customers and employees.

Very happy at FDB.

I have been working at First Databank full-time

Pros

Flexibility in my schedule. Talented people. The company does something positive for people and makes a huge difference in clinical decisions and patient care.

Cons

Lack of a formal training program for new and current employees.

Improve on-boarding process for new employees. Create more formal training programs for market and industry knowledge as well as product knowledge. Create bonus program.

A poor choice

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at First Databank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I met a few good people there. They'd close the office a half a day early on holidays, on occasions. They have free coffee and tea on the break room. They give you a paycheck every two weeks. They do some teleworking, but they have trust issues with this.

Cons

PharmD are very self-important and that causes all sorts of issues. There is no training or orientation. First day will be in meetings like the rest of the staff as if you've been there your whole life. They LOVE having all-hands meetings for everything. Smaller group meetings turn into gripe sessions. Overall most people are very unhappy. I've had managers say that things aren’t right, but it's just the way it is. You'll get a small, cost of living raise, then an increase on your insurance premiums, which are more than your raise. You’ll have to ask yourself, how bad to do you need that paycheck.

Stop hiring outside companies to give all-hand training on how improve the business. If you don't know, someone outside the firm isn't going to give you some secret recipe.

Great Company in Growing Sector of Healthcare

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Databank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very strong niche player in healthcare information technology field. Provides critical solutions for medication decision making for medical professionals and it's wonderful to be part of making a difference in the world. New leadership has been a catalyst for more challenging work, more competitiveness, more positive energy and more fun. Company has been very successful for over 30 years in the business and has had increased focus on innovation and customer relations. Great camaraderie among most employees.

Cons

Multiple office locations throughout the US and in the UK sometimes makes it difficult to effectively communicate and maintain project efficiencies (but I suppose that is expected in companies with dispersed staff members).

Keep up the good work in continuing to raise the bar on competitive spirit, growth and building value to customers!

It was OK

Former Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Databank

Pros

Flexible Hours and no weekends needed to work

Cons

The salary is low, the benefits are not good and the one time year bonus is a joke.

Managers need to be more fair to all employees and communicate well.

Senior management does not have a clue.

I have been working at First Databank

Pros

Good benefits. Great products. Good employees.

Cons

Senior management has no idea of the business, market, people, or products. They constantly create new projects that take away from the ability of people to do their job. The company is understaffed in the clinical areas. The only areas that get proper staffing are those that are sued or pet projects of the President. The president creates false crises so he can be seen to solve them.

Hearst Corporation (owner of First DataBank) need to really take a look at what is happening at First DataBank before we start loosing business to competitors that are not dysfunctional. The president needs to be replaced.

I'm loyal and dedicated to their mission and vision.

I have been working at First Databank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart, considerate employees. Product managers have excellent leadership, vision, and industry experience. Executive management is smart and responds to input from all levels. New CEO drastically changed the direction of the company: where before we focused energy inward by intensely examining processes to the smallest detail, we now focus energy outward toward meeting emerging needs of our customers to improve their satisfaction and the quality of healthcare. We serve a wide variety of customers. Products & Solutions will stay relevant to our market for the foreseeable future which offers great security.

Cons

We are very ambitious for our size; I fear we sometimes bite off more than we can chew, and this tends to lead to longer hours served by dedicated, salaried personnel. Being split 50/50 between Indianapolis and San Francisco is a minor 'con' simply because face-to-face is better than teleconferencing (though we do have 1 video conference room which mitigates this by offering occasional "face time").

Keep up the innovation, but don't forget to boost staff at the individual contributor level.