First Horizon

Updated December 21, 2014
3.3

First Horizon President, CEO, and Director D. Bryan Jordan
D. Bryan Jordan

First Tennessee has been an incredible place to work.

I have been working at First Horizon

Pros

Fair pay, great corporate culture, great management, great benefits

Cons

Compensation and bonuses could be higher

good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at First Horizon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for in terms of value placed on employee and culture. The people make the bank what it is. There are a lot of tenured employees that have been with the bank for 20+ years. Great work life balance.

Cons

Employee compensation is on the low end.

A company with a system designed to hold people back.......

Current Employee - Teller in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Teller in Memphis, TN

I have been working at First Horizon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PTO for holidays
    Not having to work every weekend
    The company offers to pay for higher education, and anything applicable to the banking industry

Cons

It is hard to move on in the company if you work on the retail side. People have been teller's for 5+ years and can not move on into Corporate roles unless they "know" someone. Merit is based on who you know, and not how long you've been there or what you can bring to the table. Yea, "who you know" is what most companies operate on, but when you try to network with people in the Corporate side, they don't respond back to emails. It's an awful system, and awful place to work.

Take into consideration that those under your leadership are human, too. Do not extend yourself an offer your help, and then be consistently unavailable and closed to the requests and genuine inquiries of your employees.

Great place to work!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at First Horizon part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Team Spirit GOAL Driven!! Great coworkers!!

Cons

Management was more into the click and if you separated yourself from the normal worker then you were more likely to be moved up the ladder.

Be more of team players and realize that just because you are management does not make you better than your workers; after all, you were once just a normal worker without a title too.

Decent place to work.

Current Employee - IT Technician in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - IT Technician in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at First Horizon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for the Knoxville area. Good benefits. Overall nice place to work. A smaller corporation still trying to grow and needs improvement to be up to date with similar companies of this same valuation.

Cons

HR Department response is poor on Q&A, not very knowledgeable with their own policies. IT department is overall more reactive than proactive. IT employees need more education and guidance.

IT Management needs to be more involved and hold supervisors accountable to the same standard as the regular salaried and hourly employees. From the Director level down things are not well organized on day to day operations.

Don't Ever Get Sick While Working Here

Current Employee - Customer Solutions Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Solutions Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at First Horizon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent start pay, health ins is good and Vacation time soon after starting is nice.

Cons

You are just a number and totally replaceable, they try to make it sound like they put their employees first but trust me they don't. I got very sick while working here, provided Dr. notes kept the management informed , they fed me crap that they would save my job, the day that i was going to come back they called and fired me for attendance. Then when i filed for unemployment they tried to appeal it saying that it was misconduct they fired me for. HA i got unemployment approved because it was indeed not misconduct at all. I was not the only employee that this happened to , there were several others that this happened to as well. So if you work here, don't ever get sick don't ever have an accident of any kind that will hospitalize you cause they will fire you.

When you have a good employee that has done well for the company and then that employee gets sick through no fault of their own, work with them to keep their job.

Nice company, if somewhat unstable

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Consultant in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Consultant in Memphis, TN

I have been working at First Horizon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and work-life balance programs cannot be beat. Corporate has a family atomosphere.

Cons

Constant concern that the company will be acquired. However, the severance packages are strong.

Keep doing what you're doing, but remember to keep employees apprised of possible acquisitions.

A grand old company

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at First Horizon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First Horizon was rated one of the top ten companies to work by Forbes for for at least 5 years in a row.
    First Horizon had great benefits, and rewarded people for their community service and personal initiatives. It was originally First Tennessee and has been in business since the 1800's/

Cons

Salary was not as high as other companies I have worked for. Many important decicions were made outside of the local service area, not enough research done before they embarked on entering new markets

Overall it's been good working at First Horizon

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Memphis, TN

I have been working at First Horizon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly and helpful coworkers. Those outside of our group are also great. Management is open to new ideas for process. Essentially, you can 'own' your work and make it whatever you want. Of course there are processes & procedures in IT, but if you show initiative and expand on what they have, you will be praised by management. Love my job!

Cons

Management isn't always concerned with catching project issues early on. Sometimes it's more pointing fingers rather than resolving the true problems. Mgmt gets nervous if you want to work remote (unless you've been with the company for 20+ years and are an 'insider'). Too many projects using 3rd party vendor software. This lends itself to projects that go on for years and much pain. Not much growth either within or outside our department. Outsourcing our department, I'll lose my job end of Q1 2013.

Our entire department will be outsourced to India by the end of Q1 2013. The company has gone through this scenario several times over the past 5 years. Whenever new mgmt gets in there, they want to reinvent the wheel. Someone needs to stand up and be loyal to the employees and get through the hard times together. Upper mgmt could take a pay cut rather than eliminate the worker bee.

Enjoyed working there for many years

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Memphis, TN

I have been working at First Horizon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good working environment
    Good benefits
    Nice co-workers
    Great team work

Cons

Little support from management for their IT workers.
    Could provide more educational assistance to employees.

Need to appreciate their experienced workers more.