First Hospitality Reviews

Stephen L. Schwartz

WORK HARD IN SILENCE LET YOUR SUCCESS BE YOUR NOISE

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at First Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the Company for 3 years and it's been a pleasure to work with people who know the meaning of 'efficiency'. FHG has a track record of growth and continues to grow as a Company, while advancing and growing their own employees. The Company strongly believes in promoting from within and offers advancement opportunities to all employees. The Company is also passionate in creating a culture with all employees that is exceptional to FHG. I started with FHG as an Assistant General Manager and now work as a General Manager. I have had the privilege of working with two great Managers in the Company who have shared their expertise and provided me with the necessary tools for my development. The vision of the company inspires all employees to conquer success

Cons

If it doesn't fit you must acquit. FHG will only hold on to employees who are hoping to achieve success

Advice to Management

Maintain the friendly business relationship, that all employees have access to Senior Management

Poor Training

I worked at First Hospitality

Pros

Good Co-workers
    Good support from regional
    Good Benefits

Cons

Poor salary
    Poor Training
    Unrealistic goals
    Male orientated upper management
    Few females in a position that can impact the company as a whole

Advice to Management

Regional management was helpful and understanding. However, training program is non existent. A sink or swim atmosphere.

3. The most depressing work environment I've ever encountered... Employee turnover VERY HIGH!!!

Current Employee - Manager in Rosemont, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Rosemont, IL

I have been working at First Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounted hotel rooms nationally. The office will awkwardly sing happy birthday to you in a horrible obvious attempt to increase the terrible morale in the corporate office.

Cons

Believe what you read in the other reviews. Don't listen to "work hard in silence". You need to be overwhelmingly loud, otherwise your work will be overlooked. Some employees are being basically abused with 13+ hour work days every day. I've walked past cubes of people openly crying. You'll learn quickly who won't even acknowledge your existence after you say "Hi" or "Good Morning". Drink the kool-aid, or you'll be forced out quickly. Good luck.

Advice to Management

Company leaders (CEO) have good intentions. They seem genuinely concerned about the horrible turnover. Their management team is the problem however, and I don't see them making any significant changes there.

Communication not a priority.

Former Employee - Director of Sales

I worked at First Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good insurance. Nice Party once a year.

Cons

No training, no support, no communication from corporate office or General Manager and no clear chain of command. No one knows or cares what you do all day. Quantity over quality is all that matters when it comes to reporting. Staffing levels are kept to a bare minimum making it difficult to provide adequate customer service and do your job.

Advice to Management

Get out of your offices and know what is going on in the hotel.

This Company Is a A Joke

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at First Hospitality part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly cannot think of one.

Cons

You know the workplace is bad when employees refer to it as "hell on earth" on a daily basis. When I first started at this particular hotel the work culture was great. Everyone got along and it was very laid back. Then there was a period of high turnover, totally unqualified people were hired, and then it evolved to severe micromanagement. Don't blame the hard-working, existing employees for the your hiring incompetence. And if you ever did try to voice your opinion, you immediately got a target on your back as a troublemaker. Why ask what you think can be improved if it's something you want to hear? They would only promote those who they could manipulate and act like sheep to hang on their every word. If you have any kind of brain or education, this is not the place for you. Not to mention the pay was terrible. The newly hired person should not make the same as someone who has been there for two years and proven themselves.

Advice to Management

Recognize those who work hard and do the job well and then maybe your turnover won't be so high! Since I left two years ago, I think there are maybe 2 employees I know that still work there, including management. That says something.

Lied to, humiliated and disrespected after giving my all to this company

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at First Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am still telling hilarious stories about how messed up things were at the hotel I worked at. I think I'll write a book next.

Some training

Cons

Low pay, empty promises, micro-management, no advancement in 3+ years, was told I took things too personal after working 75+ hours per week, everyone afraid of senior management, can't make enough money to survive unless you are one of the favorites, was treated like garbage until I stood up for myself. This company is not a good fit for a young, intelligent and insightful person who cares about a career in hospitality.

Advice to Management

Stop treating management of hotels like garbage and if you make a promise, stick to it.

Clean up your desk - the blowhards and intimidators from Chicago are coming to town.

I worked at First Hospitality full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some properties were new-builds and a pleasure to work at. If you are left alone to do your job without incompetent interference from the corporate office, life can be good. Compensation was mediocre. For 5 of my years raises did not exceed 2.0% per year. Eventually I went broke. If you don't rock the boat, contribute to the success of a property, 'their way "they'll pay more than you are worth however.

Cons

If you insist on a good work-life balance you will not be considered a team player and eventually you'll be sidelined. You have to get used to drinking the company cool aid. Middle managers from corporate office were set in their thinking tending towards old school. Management style was largely through fear and intimidation rather than true leadership. Good reason to believe in instances of nepotism. I had 5 GMs in as many years. The last GM and the AGM were the straw that broke the camel's back. Came and went at their convenience with absolutely no accountability whatsoever. when I raised this issue I was simply told that I obviously had a personality conflict.

Advice to Management

Your employee surveys are bogus. Few employees dare tell you the truth about what's going on in your company. Take this function away from HR and hotel operations and outsource it. This Just in... Due to the internet and well designed websites it is no longer necessary to conduct feature/benefit spews to potential customers. They know what they want; they just need to know, like and trust the person they are buying it from.

Unengaged

I worked at First Hospitality full-time

Pros

Ability to work independently with minimal leadership and guidance

Cons

No employee engagement, no work life balance, paid time off is minimal and expectation of commitment is extremely high. Compensation is low and no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

make your rounds to the properties

10. Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

I worked at First Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management will give employees responsibility and allow they to do their job without interference. As long as you perform, this company will reward you.

Cons

In order to be accepted you are expected to work long hours. You are expected to be in the office working, especially one weekend day per week.

Advice to Management

Management should understand that just because you are not in the office during the weekend you are still getting your work done. Just because you can't be seen doesn't mean your not doing your job.

Too busy mopping the floor to turn off the faucet.

Former Employee - Manager At A Select Service Hotel
    Former Employee - Manager At A Select Service Hotel

I worked at First Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Insurance is slightly better than other management companies.

Cons

Corporate leadership does not provide support to the onsite staff. Hotels in FHG’s portfolio are managed in a way where as a manager, you are not able to focus on employee development and satisfaction because you are too busy trying to replace hourly associates who suddenly quit without notice because they were unhappy with the working conditions and found a hotel that will pay more with better working conditions. If you are hourly, you will not make enough money to pay your bills or maintain health insurance. If you are a salaried employee, you will work 60+ hours a week with no compensation because FHG believes managers should spend 80% of their day doing the job of an hourly associate in addition to their own work. While all this is happening FHG believes they can run hotels better than the brands can because they can save more on labor and lead the market in the STAR report by leading in ADR and REVPAR. In the first half of 2013, FHG lost 10 General Managers at one time. If you don’t believe me look at how many of the same positions are posted online every six months.
    Training material designed by Marriott, Hilton, IHG and Radisson is passed off as something that FHG designed in-house. Many training initiative were rolled out then never acted upon (some really good). There was a company-wide training initiative in 2012 that was supposed to re-define the culture at every hotel within FHG’s portfolio that required all managers to attend weekly conference calls. The initiative started off great but ultimately turn into a way for the regional manager's to complain about the scores at the hotels in their regions.

Advice to Management

If you want great guest scores, hire the right people and keep them happy so they don't leave. Pay attention to your Associate Surveys. Not everyone fits into a quadrant on the pi chart. Many great candidates are rejected because of their pi score. After a position is vacant long enough, the GM hires anyone that will work for the pay offered out of desperation.