First Investors Corporation Reviews

196 reviews filtered by
3.7
First Investors Corporation President & CEO Bill Lipkus
Bill Lipkus

Pros
  • New Training Program: It used to be straight commission, but has since changed to a base (in 18 reviews)

• Good training program, high energy, potential to make a lot of money (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits because you're an independent contractor (in 17 reviews)

• You have to sell to your friends and family which is not the best feeling (in 9 reviews)

1. Good company to work for.

I have been working at First Investors Corporation

Pros

Great support from senior management.

Cons

Identifying new customers can be a challenge.

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance; the training program is thorough and managers care about your growth; friendly atmosphere; love our involvement in community programs

Cons

The company is rapidly growing so there is often a lot of work to be done, but I have always been up for the challenge.

I believe management cares about the employees' growth and has strong company values

3. Enjoyable temporary employment

Former Contractor - Temporary in Edison, NJ
    Former Contractor - Temporary in Edison, NJ

I worked at First Investors Corporation as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Easy temporary employment, management seemed to want me to succeed and all co-workers also treated me as a co-worker and not just temporary staff

Cons

position as offered and starting salary is low

Great experience!

Former Intern - Financial Representative Trainee in Lexington, KY
    Former Intern - Financial Representative Trainee in Lexington, KY

I worked at First Investors Corporation as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome office with even better workers that truly know what it is to work hard but also enjoy themselves at the same time. Loved the training program, really learned a lot and anyone is willing to help you in anyway they can especially Senior Management.

Cons

The amount you're paid while passing life insurance and series tests. And also expected to bring in business during that time.

See above for cons.

Get what you give

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Albany, NY

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I wanted to work at a company where my success both in income and helping others is directly related to the amount of effort and work I put in. I've been here for two years now and that is exactly what this is. When you first start, you are given salary and commission. You also get your overhead and your licensing paid for. They provide all the tools and know how you would ever need to make your goals happen. We have a work hard, play hard attitude. The management here are not only always available, but they are passionate about providing any support needed. It is amazing to know the only ceiling I have is up to me!

Cons

The only con I could see someone having is the fact that when you start any business you have to invest your effort and time into it to really get a good foundation. Because of that, the work-life balance is off for a while. To me however, I will give up that time gladly for the life doing so will provide me later.

My advice to management would be to get more on the management team to support our companies amazing growth.

Reap what you Sow.

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working out of the office, genuinely helping people, flexible hours, you get paid to train, you are in complete control of your career, knowledge acquired is beneficial both professionally and personally.

Cons

Fluctuating pay based off of commissions, long hours,

With a company growing so fast managers can be spread pretty thin. While it's an exciting time to become a part of First Investors, new representatives will find themselves having to rely on themselves in some new situations.

Work hard and you will succeed!

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

First Investors’ has a very extensive training program and the upper management are very well educated in this field allowing you to easily succeed in this business. This representative position comes with a base pay salary starting out and commissions along the way which is not offered by most companies for this type of position. I love the atmosphere here in the office, everyone feels welcome and there is always someone available for questions and help, making it a very comfortable environment and the work day easier. I like having the ability to have a flexible schedule and plan around my day. This job is a lot of hard work and requires a lot of dedication and time but the outcome is well worth it.

Cons

Not having enough hours in the day, but turns out to be a positive thing in the long run because it makes you work that much harder to reach your goals.

9. Excellent company for those who are motivated

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company offers a base salary while you're in the 9 month training program which many firms in the industry do not offer. The training program is extensive and very thorough. Representatives in the training program have at least a meeting everyday with someone in upper management. The company pays for the licensing process and provide you with the study materials to get three different licenses. The opportunities to move into management are plentiful as the company is drastically expanding nation wide, really is a great place to start a career especially if you have an interest in moving into management.

Cons

As with any commission based job, you get out of it what you put in. This job is for people who are willing to work hard and put the time and effort into being successful.

My Team is the Reason for my Success

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starting your own practice is a monstrosity of a task, without a proper support team and sheer determination to succeed. Since my inception with First Investors, I have seen my fair share of challenges, but it is from those challenges that which builds character and establishes a point of reference to which I can learn from. From senior associates to the leadership team, everyone has lent a hand in providing encouragement, guidance, knowledge, and their own experiences at every stage of thier career. It is those experiences to which you cannot read about in any form of literature, nor see in any movie/documentary that links us all and creates a comraderie that no other company can emulate.

Cons

Large time commitment, however with building any business this is essential to a successful practice. Studying for exams, except their is no way around this.

A great career path for the highly motivated

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

First Investors’ extensive training program is what lured me to the company. To have the system in place with base pay and commissions along with my overhead expenses being paid for was a huge head start for me to help get my career started and something I couldn’t find at other companies. The office atmosphere is another positive for the office. It has a family feel, and there is always someone at the office willing to lend a helping hand.

Cons

This position isn’t for everyone. It takes a person who is not only extremely dedicated but also highly passionate about the position and the work that goes into being a successful representative. There is a learning curve that is different for everyone depending on their quick actions and implementation.

I feel that the marketing for the company could take a more aggressive approach in order to create more brand recognition with the public.

First Investors Corporation Photos