First Investors Corporation Reviews

Reset
3.2
First Investors Corporation President & CEO Bill Lipkus
Bill Lipkus

Pros
  • The salary while on the training program is extremely helpful to keep you afloat (in 18 reviews)

• This company opens the door for those hungry enough to succeed and make a lot of money doing something good for people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits because you're an independent contractor (in 17 reviews)

• Push products to friends and family (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Financial Services Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Great place to work who focus on team activity. Small office that's rapidly growing, and management focuses on creating an environment for success. They pay for your licensing and training.

Cons

You eat what you kill, so it's important to find your methodology to creating a successful practice. Also, if you're not licensed, you spend a lot of time studying to begin. Salary leaves a lot to be desired while training.

Advice to Management

Keep being supportive. Bryan and Tyler are doing a good job helping the Kansas City office grow.

First Investors Corporation Response

Aug 19, 2015

Thank you for your review. We encourage all employees, both former and current, to provide feedback whether it be positive or negative. First Investors is always looking to improve so we can ... More

Good place to be!

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Jose, CA

Pros

One of the major positives about working for this company is the fact that you get to have a flexible schedule. I can go on vacation for as long as I would like, provided that I let the company know before I leave. I like that kind of freedom in my job. I also love working for this company because the bonuses are very generous. Bonuses are something that certainly keeps me driven. As cheesy as this sounds, another positive is the fact that I really love and care for my clients. I have had the opportunity to help a lot of great people and it's given me much content with what I do.

Cons

My clients are a little further out so I do have to travel a little ways to reach my clients.

Advice to Management

I would love to see more offices built around the country. I know there are a few in the works and I'd love an opportunity to open my own.

If you really work hard, you will never have anything to complain about

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in New York, NY

Pros

Complete control of your income potential; only you can control your activity. Sitting around the office is not "working." You are given the tools, it's up to you to use them. Complete control of your schedule (after training, that is). You can take as much time off as you want, it's up to you to be able to balance things once it's time to get back to work. Self-employment is the best way to be rewarded for you hard work. You're not sitting next to a co-worker who does half the work you do and makes more money. Everyone here is on a level playing field. Even seniority does not guarantee you're going to be the most successful representative; whoever works for it, makes it.

Cons

This career is not for people who want to to "try" the field for less than a 3 year period, you're wasting your time. The financial services industry all around has a huge turnover ratio, something like 80%!!! This career is not for you if you don't like working with people. There is A LOT of traveling involved (if you decide to have clients in far areas or out of state). If you need MICRO-managing (someone to tell you what to do all the time) and you lack self-discipline, it is NOT going to be easy for you, you will hate the freedom.

Advice to Management

Be more selective during the hiring process. We should only hire the best of the best, hard-workers, and self-driven individuals.

mutual funds

Current Employee - Junior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Junior Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Communicate with people from different backgroud

Cons

intense and not much leisure time

Advice to Management

workload should be manageble in a daily basis, currently the priority of work should be more comprehensive and well rounded

They trust my abilities, they implement my suggestions, and I know that I will grow with this company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

What you put put into this career is what you get out of it.

Cons

High turnover-so many people lack self confidence and self discipline.

Advice to Management

Offer compensation packages/options.

I have realized great opportunities that i have had to earn, they were not just given to me.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

1. Excellent training, company has been in investment business since 1930, which equates to alot of knowledge about how to work in the industry 2. Growth Opportunities, Looking to take the knowledge they have and expand business more through out the united states. 3. Income and advancement are great for people willing to learn, work, and implement 4. Great Office environment to work in. 5. Most important: Helping Clients invest for future goals and protect those goals with insurance

Cons

1. Learning curve is different for everyone, and some individuals lose sight of what they came to accomplish and give up to soon. 2. It does take focus, and work to be sucessful. 3. We work with all kinds of people so we have to deal with alot of different personalities.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in ways to grow the company. Constantly improve the way we work, to help us help our clients.

I love my job and am proud of the work we do for our clients and our community

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Pros

I feel that the training is second to none in our industry. I had no prior experience working in the financial services industry before I started with First Investors. The management team within my office was extremely helpful in teaching me how to be very successful while helping my clients achieve their financial goals. I have friends that tried to work at other companies in the industry and the training was nothing like what it was here. I also love the people that I work with, they are an extention of my family. I really appreciate the compensation structure because it allows me to get compensated based on my hard work and talent instead of based on my years of service. I also appreciate the fact that we are growing and this has allowed me to get started in management training in just my 2nd year with the company.

Cons

It is a lot of hard work in the beginning. This career is very similar to starting a business without all the startup costs and overhead that are usually associated with startig a business. People that are not hard working will not end up with a successful career, those that are hard working will typically feel the rewards 10 fold in the long run.

Advice to Management

Continue creating and producing top notch products, tools, and services for the representatives to utilize in helping our clients reach their financial goals.

Work somewhere you can be proud of!!

Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in Beaverton, OR

Pros

The people, the products and the enviroment are all things that make a career. After 20 plus years, I have no regrets.

Cons

Getting started building a new business is a challange no matter where someone attempts to do so. First Investors is no different. If you have the desire to succeed, you will. If you don't, you won't.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage in open and honest communication, no matter if it comes from the CEO to the masses or from a new employee to a supervisor.

First Investors taught me things that I would have never had learned in school.

Current Employee - Intern in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Tampa, FL

Pros

- Real-life opportunities to learn. - Supervision from senior representatives that facilitate the entrance of new reps. - You make your own destiny, you decide when to work and how to work, if you work hard, your work will pay off.

Cons

- Just by being an intern, I can only say that it must difficult to start on this business. - It takes a lot of courage from the employees to get to people and tell them what you do, because you do not have any clients when you start so you have to do a lot of cold calling.

Advice to Management

The leadership of the senior reps and the supervisor of the interns are really good. First Investors try to make the interns to understand how the real business work, not only the book material.

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Registered Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in New York, NY

Pros

- Commissioned based jobs have higher payouts than salaried positions - bonuses on top of commission are generous - company provides a lot of travel incentives (in the past they've done st. maarten, puerto rico and for 2013 have a contest for bahamas and maui) - A lot of room for advancement, an easier way to earn six figures than a salaried position will allow - flexible work schedule - tax write-offs - can build your own portfolio - are able to help others while building wealth for yourself -must be confident and articulate (you are managing client assets, why should they give you money?) presentation is key First Investors just merged with a fraternal organization called Foresters which offers member benefits no other insurance company does. In addition, the company has been revamped and is working on a variety of mutual funds in addition to current holdings and is looking to become more technologically advanced through use of iPads. First Investors has a bright future ahead and our goal is the be the premier financial group for middle class America.

Cons

- not everyone can work a commissioned based job - takes time, but hard work pays off

RSS Feed </> Embed