First Investors Corporation

Updated September 30, 2014
3.8

First Investors Corporation President & CEO Bill Lipkus
Bill Lipkus

Pros
  • New Training Program: It used to be straight commission, but has since changed to a base (in 17 reviews)

• Good training program, high energy, potential to make a lot of money (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits because you're an independent contractor (in 17 reviews)

• You have to sell to your friends and family which is not the best feeling (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

A great career path for the highly motivated

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

First Investors’ extensive training program is what lured me to the company. To have the system in place with base pay and commissions along with my overhead expenses being paid for was a huge head start for me to help get my career started and something I couldn’t find at other companies. The office atmosphere is another positive for the office. It has a family feel, and there is always someone at the office willing to lend a helping hand.

Cons

This position isn’t for everyone. It takes a person who is not only extremely dedicated but also highly passionate about the position and the work that goes into being a successful representative. There is a learning curve that is different for everyone depending on their quick actions and implementation.

I feel that the marketing for the company could take a more aggressive approach in order to create more brand recognition with the public.

Work Hard. Play Hard.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have done my research on similar firms. No other company offers the level of support or training. The compensation is better than most firms. Very strong culture from top to bottom of working hard and play hard. The majority of my vacations are with my colleagues from across the country because they have become like family. No other company spoils their representatives like First Investors.

Career opportunities: We are looking to open offices across the country and aggressively grow in the next couple of years.

New Training Program: It used to be straight commission, but has since changed to a base+ commission for the beginning of a representative's career.

Cons

This is your business and you will reap what you sew. You don't have to worry about a boss breathing down your neck, so you have to be self-motivated or otherwise you will likely not be successful.

With the amount of changes and growth over the last couple of years it has been tough to see what we are pushing towards. Bigger and Better, of course, but a clear image of the future would be beneficial.

My Team is the Reason for my Success

Current Employee - Registered Representative  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Starting your own practice is a monstrosity of a task, without a proper support team and sheer determination to succeed. Since my inception with First Investors, I have seen my fair share of challenges, but it is from those challenges that which builds character and establishes a point of reference to which I can learn from. From senior associates to the leadership team, everyone has lent a hand in providing encouragement, guidance, knowledge, and their own experiences at every stage of thier career. It is those experiences to which you cannot read about in any form of literature, nor see in any movie/documentary that links us all and creates a comraderie that no other company can emulate.

Cons

Large time commitment, however with building any business this is essential to a successful practice. Studying for exams, except their is no way around this.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run your own business and be willing to work hard

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

This company, especially my office in Atlanta, provides the absolute best opportunities. No other company allows this type of upward mobility in such a short amount of time. I have seen such an amazing career in my short tenure here, but I only plan to keep moving up throughout the years. The rewards that they give for you running your own business successfully, are only a few reasons to work here. Helping people achieve their own financial goals, while also living the lifestyle you want are the main reasons to be here.

Cons

It takes a lot of work to get your own business up and running. If you look at any other business and what it takes to get started, First Investors helps you tremendously. There is no other place where you have these opportunities, but you have to be willing to put the time and work in.

They are always there to help no matter what, which is the best thing they can do. The management is always there to help out, whether it is in good times or times of struggle. This is one of main reasons why I have seen the success in my short time here.

Amazing place to work, with unlimited opportunities!

Current Employee - Registered Representative  in  Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

I began my career at First Investors, in the Canonsburg office, in February 2014, and have been a representative in the field since May 2014. I knew this was the career for me from the time I was asked to come in for an interview. From what I’ve heard about the company and after viewing the website I couldn’t see how anyone could pass up an opportunity to work for this company. The day of my interview everyone I met was so welcoming and friendly, I was informed of the unlimited earning potential, the freedom to set your own schedule, and most importantly the chances to make an impact in clients’ lives. Once I began working, nothing changed. The management team and other reps remain helpful and friendly. Our saying is, “You’re In Business For Yourself – Not By Yourself.” Yes, you’re building your own business and developing your own clients, but you have the support and knowledge of everyone else in the company. To be successful in this company you have to be highly motivated and willing to put in the effort to receive the rewards. When you have the freedom to set your own schedule you have to remain dedicated and use the time you set aside for work to actually work. The financial service field is not an easy field to work in, but I believe First Investors provides amazing training, support, and opportunities to create a very achievable, rewarding career.

Cons

I do not have any cons. I believe if you leave First Investors it is not because of the company, but because you do not have the appropriate dedication.

I can see how far this company has come, and I constantly hear about the remarkable future that lies ahead. Keep up the amazing work!

Most of the people I know would love to trade careers with me.

Current Employee - Investment Advisor Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Investment Advisor Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

First Investors has helped me build a practice that provides me with unlimited upward income potential, the time flexibility that allows me to spend quality time with my family, the friendship and comradery of financial professionals nationwide, and the ongoing training and administrative support I need to continually grow my business. For 32 years this firm has been with me every step of the way. Not to mention that my wife and I have been on 33 incredible vacations in seven different countries that First Investors has organized and paid for just because I was doing my job. the future looks better than ever!

Cons

Cons are easy, this is not the business for everyone. If you are not ambitious, if you do not want to work hard for a great living, if you need someone to tell you what to do every minute, and if you are only in it to get paid on a Friday, then you dont have what it takes to be here. You must work hard with a "be your own boss" mentality to have success. Unlike many "jobs" you will not get paid or promoted for just showing up.

Only advice I have is to keep doing what your doing, continue to reach out to all levels of representatives on what they feel should be current priorities, and keep being there when I need you.

Good training program!

Current Employee - Financial Representative Trainee  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Financial Representative Trainee in Detroit, MI

Pros

New management is willing to help make training and learning process easier with role playing. Online based training is very straight forward with a base pay. Office as a whole is very friendly. A lot of future opportunities to strive for a management role or an experienced financial rep.

Cons

License training is a lot of information at one time. There is a 30 day waiting restrictions before a second licensing exam attempt if failed previous exam. Most clients are acquired from your fiends, family and networking.

Very excited about expanding offices throughout the country over the next few years!

Thankful for the opportunity

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Miramar, FL

Pros

It's a great opportunity if you want to get into the industry even without experience and learn. If you have ambition the sky is the limit. This company opens the door for those hungry enough to succeed and make a lot of money doing something good for people.

Cons

The sequence in the ways of the training process is still a work in progress. I do see changes for the better.

Unlimited Opportunities

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Rockland, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Rockland, NY

Pros

Competitive compensation structure along with supervision of management. Some of the most competitive products in the industry. Vision of growth. Unlimited compensation and practice growth. Training program is great with online program, weekly sales meetings and conference calls and webinars.

Cons

Initially the work/family life balance is tough. You need to develop your own business plan.

No changes I can think of at this point.

financial rep

I have been working at First Investors Corporation

Pros

your payed to study for your seiries
    you have the ability to make your own schedule

Cons

work load becomes to much for the what you get back in commissions.

They need to work on a better retention strategy for new comers.

First Investors Corporation Photos

Worked for First Investors Corporation? Contribute to the Community!