First Investors Corporation

Updated November 19, 2014
3.8

First Investors Corporation President & CEO Bill Lipkus
Bill Lipkus

Pros
  • New Training Program: It used to be straight commission, but has since changed to a base (in 18 reviews)

• Good training program, high energy, potential to make a lot of money (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits because you're an independent contractor (in 17 reviews)

• You have to sell to your friends and family which is not the best feeling (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

This place is a sham-Do NOT invest your time or money.

Former Employee - Registered Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at First Investors Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You receive great preparation for your licenses. There is flexibility in your schedule since you set your own appointments.

Cons

The general feel is for you to convince people to transfer their money to your care at this firm. Once you have the money-forget that client because it's on to the next. Customer service was not a priority. Also, there was no base salary-the only way you earn money is through commissions. Not many real professionals can live this way. Therefore you have many unprofessional people in this company. These young unprofessionals are often promoted to management in this company.

You need better training for your reps and you need to offer a base salary-even if it is only $20k. This will bring much more success to the company. You need to stress that customer service/relations is a priority-especially when you are working with people's hard earned money.

More of a facilitator than an employer.

I worked at First Investors Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Build your own business. It is up to you to succeed; some thrive in this environment. You have freedom to go to lunch with clients when and where you want to. The office is more of a dedicated work space than a clock in/out type of deal.

Cons

It is really rough starting out and takes a lot of work to overcome the hurdle to be successful. As an intern, I did not receive much hands-on experience and spent the majority of my time doing office work.

Work hard and you will succeed!

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

First Investors’ has a very extensive training program and the upper management are very well educated in this field allowing you to easily succeed in this business. This representative position comes with a base pay salary starting out and commissions along the way which is not offered by most companies for this type of position. I love the atmosphere here in the office, everyone feels welcome and there is always someone available for questions and help, making it a very comfortable environment and the work day easier. I like having the ability to have a flexible schedule and plan around my day. This job is a lot of hard work and requires a lot of dedication and time but the outcome is well worth it.

Cons

Not having enough hours in the day, but turns out to be a positive thing in the long run because it makes you work that much harder to reach your goals.

A great career path for the highly motivated

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

First Investors’ extensive training program is what lured me to the company. To have the system in place with base pay and commissions along with my overhead expenses being paid for was a huge head start for me to help get my career started and something I couldn’t find at other companies. The office atmosphere is another positive for the office. It has a family feel, and there is always someone at the office willing to lend a helping hand.

Cons

This position isn’t for everyone. It takes a person who is not only extremely dedicated but also highly passionate about the position and the work that goes into being a successful representative. There is a learning curve that is different for everyone depending on their quick actions and implementation.

I feel that the marketing for the company could take a more aggressive approach in order to create more brand recognition with the public.

Great Opportunities - prepare to work hard

Current Employee - Registered Representative
    Current Employee - Registered Representative

I have been working at First Investors Corporation as a contractor

Pros

Flexibility of scheduling is a very big plus here. Having the autonomy to plan around daytime obligations without "asking for time off" is a great attractor. With the autonomy comes personal responsibility and you must be self-motivated and driven for success to make this work! Although you pay for licensure up front, the reimbursement for all licenses as a new rep is another big attractor. Fund performance is key for successful financial reps and FI has an outstanding battery of funds to meet anyone's profile. The selection of insurance products is also a big plus and helpful in starting your business. Management is supportive and encouraging. My manager invested countless hours in my development and ensuring my future success; after all, their success is dependent upon yours!

Cons

Starting salary is VERY meager. Although commissions are attached, you must be prepared to eat some Ramen up front. With reduced commissions while on salary to start, it is difficult to make ends meet at first. Working 60+ hours a week and only compensated for 50 should be re-evaluated. However, the bonus potential in the first 6 months will compensate the reduced commissions up front. No benefits makes your long-term overhead high unless you have a spouse whose job offers benefits. Although the schedule is flexible, requiring non-employees to be "in the office" on certain days of the week and attend meetings is not fair to require. Work-Life balance in the early stages is non-existent, although that is expected in starting one's own business, it's absolutely a huge commitment on the part of the contractor and their family.

Bring the training rep salaries to a level that is beyond McDonald's and reps will be more satisfied in the beginning. A more clear outlook on the corporate strategy would be great!

Work Hard. Play Hard.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have done my research on similar firms. No other company offers the level of support or training. The compensation is better than most firms. Very strong culture from top to bottom of working hard and play hard. The majority of my vacations are with my colleagues from across the country because they have become like family. No other company spoils their representatives like First Investors.

Career opportunities: We are looking to open offices across the country and aggressively grow in the next couple of years.

New Training Program: It used to be straight commission, but has since changed to a base+ commission for the beginning of a representative's career.

Cons

This is your business and you will reap what you sew. You don't have to worry about a boss breathing down your neck, so you have to be self-motivated or otherwise you will likely not be successful.

With the amount of changes and growth over the last couple of years it has been tough to see what we are pushing towards. Bigger and Better, of course, but a clear image of the future would be beneficial.

Excellent company for those who are motivated

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Greenbelt, MD

Pros

The company offers a base salary while you're in the 9 month training program which many firms in the industry do not offer. The training program is extensive and very thorough. Representatives in the training program have at least a meeting everyday with someone in upper management. The company pays for the licensing process and provide you with the study materials to get three different licenses. The opportunities to move into management are plentiful as the company is drastically expanding nation wide, really is a great place to start a career especially if you have an interest in moving into management.

Cons

As with any commission based job, you get out of it what you put in. This job is for people who are willing to work hard and put the time and effort into being successful.

My Team is the Reason for my Success

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Starting your own practice is a monstrosity of a task, without a proper support team and sheer determination to succeed. Since my inception with First Investors, I have seen my fair share of challenges, but it is from those challenges that which builds character and establishes a point of reference to which I can learn from. From senior associates to the leadership team, everyone has lent a hand in providing encouragement, guidance, knowledge, and their own experiences at every stage of thier career. It is those experiences to which you cannot read about in any form of literature, nor see in any movie/documentary that links us all and creates a comraderie that no other company can emulate.

Cons

Large time commitment, however with building any business this is essential to a successful practice. Studying for exams, except their is no way around this.

Run your own business and be willing to work hard

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

This company, especially my office in Atlanta, provides the absolute best opportunities. No other company allows this type of upward mobility in such a short amount of time. I have seen such an amazing career in my short tenure here, but I only plan to keep moving up throughout the years. The rewards that they give for you running your own business successfully, are only a few reasons to work here. Helping people achieve their own financial goals, while also living the lifestyle you want are the main reasons to be here.

Cons

It takes a lot of work to get your own business up and running. If you look at any other business and what it takes to get started, First Investors helps you tremendously. There is no other place where you have these opportunities, but you have to be willing to put the time and work in.

They are always there to help no matter what, which is the best thing they can do. The management is always there to help out, whether it is in good times or times of struggle. This is one of main reasons why I have seen the success in my short time here.

Amazing place to work, with unlimited opportunities!

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Canonsburg, PA

Pros

I began my career at First Investors, in the Canonsburg office, in February 2014, and have been a representative in the field since May 2014. I knew this was the career for me from the time I was asked to come in for an interview. From what I’ve heard about the company and after viewing the website I couldn’t see how anyone could pass up an opportunity to work for this company. The day of my interview everyone I met was so welcoming and friendly, I was informed of the unlimited earning potential, the freedom to set your own schedule, and most importantly the chances to make an impact in clients’ lives. Once I began working, nothing changed. The management team and other reps remain helpful and friendly. Our saying is, “You’re In Business For Yourself – Not By Yourself.” Yes, you’re building your own business and developing your own clients, but you have the support and knowledge of everyone else in the company. To be successful in this company you have to be highly motivated and willing to put in the effort to receive the rewards. When you have the freedom to set your own schedule you have to remain dedicated and use the time you set aside for work to actually work. The financial service field is not an easy field to work in, but I believe First Investors provides amazing training, support, and opportunities to create a very achievable, rewarding career.

Cons

I do not have any cons. I believe if you leave First Investors it is not because of the company, but because you do not have the appropriate dedication.

I can see how far this company has come, and I constantly hear about the remarkable future that lies ahead. Keep up the amazing work!

First Investors Corporation Photos