First Investors Corporation

Updated September 8, 2014
3.8

First Investors Corporation President & CEO Bill Lipkus
Bill Lipkus

Pros
  • New Training Program: It used to be straight commission, but has since changed to a base (in 17 reviews)

• Good internship where I learned much about the Financial Services Industry (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits because you're an independent contractor (in 17 reviews)

• You have to sell to your friends and family which is not the best feeling (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

financial rep

I have been working at First Investors Corporation

Pros

your payed to study for your seiries
    you have the ability to make your own schedule

Cons

work load becomes to much for the what you get back in commissions.

They need to work on a better retention strategy for new comers.

Needs better managment

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Albany, NY

I worked at First Investors Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Networking opportunities available , commission based pay, flexible time, meeting clients wherever!

Cons

Lots of work, no benefits, no appreciation, commission based pay

Get better managers

Very Fortunate to find First Investors

Current Employee - Registered Representative  in  Woodbridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Woodbridge, NJ

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about this career is the support you get from management. Whether it is detail oriented or a major business proposition they are a huge asset to have. They work for you! Another determining benefit for me was future prospects. This is somewhere that you can grow and wont have to hop around from company to company. The work atmosphere also makes it enjoyable to work everyday.

Cons

This is a very competitive industry, if your not willing to put the time in to better yourself, you will not be successful. Menial tasks involving names and numbers is bit excessive.

Keep the bottom-up structure!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent environment for career growth

Current Employee - Administrator
    Current Employee - Administrator

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has a excellent management training program with supportive managers who are not only great mentors, but who also make you feel like a valued asset to the company. Licenses are paid for by the firm and the work environment is fun and supportive with a mix of young and older employees. With room for growth, I could see myself working for this company for long time.

Cons

The position a lot of studying for licenses and training in the first few months. But the company equips their employees with the right study tools and staff assistance to make ensure that you are well trained and prepared for the challenges of your position.

Keep up the great work!

Great place to start your career as a financial professional

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Woodbridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Woodbridge, NJ

Pros

The company is more than willing to invest in their new employees. Many firms will refrain from offering licensing eligibility for a considerable amount of time. First Investors sponsors and encourages their representatives to obtain their licenses as quickly as possible. New reps also receive a small salary while studying and starting their business.
    The family-like environment makes learning the business much more enjoyable.

Cons

Work/Life balance is definitely an issue. Prepare to work 6 days per week, often times putting a priority on attendance over productivity.
    Miscommunication and contradicting instructions from different levels of management can cause an incredible amount of unnecessary stress for representatives.
    Lazy management creates an environment where interns train, hire, and manage other interns.

Micromanagement of managers who are already incredibly involved and on top of their office often causes more problems than it solves.

A great place to be your own boss

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Communication between representatives is amazing. There is very positive leadership and support in jump starting my career. I really likes the competitiveness of the role as well as the history of the company.

Cons

The technology is lacking due to the inability to provide on the spot illustrations. Also dislike lack of public awareness of who we are and what we do.

Personally really likes the one-on-one time in developing individuals-keep that up and provide more of that time

Being put out of your comfort zone countless times to the point where your successful

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Woodbridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Woodbridge, NJ

Pros

The salary while on the training program is extremely helpful to keep you afloat. All the support in the world from your manager and mentor with the training tools being endless. I don't know many jobs with the freedom to make your own schedule and make as much money as you want.

Cons

Because of the high turnover there is definitely a wall up from other reps. But once you stick around for a while and prove yourself, you're golden, pony boy. I don't know if this is a con or more towards advice but; you must work hard to be successful! We're talking 50+ hour weeks and Saturdays.

Consistency.

All commission jobs are no fun

I have been working at First Investors Corporation

Pros

They were very supportive while studying for the 6.

Cons

It is 100 percent commission

pay your employees

Informative look into the basic financial advising career.

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Beaverton, OR

I worked at First Investors Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The employees and managers in the officer were fantastic people and really made the summer intern position enjoyable. Many activities both inside the office and outside that provided opportunity to bond with the people and still learn about the different aspects of finding, meeting, and advising clients. Weekly case studies and lessons helped to get an inside look into how the advisers would approach a client's financial situation.

Cons

The internship was very hands off for the interns. There was little that we interns could actually do besides just sit and listen. We were set up with a mentor in the office that was already a successful adviser with the company, but our mentor did very little to interact with us unless we went to him and pushed the issue.

Hold the mentors accountable for enriching the intern experience with the company. Create a program where the interns feel like they are actually learning about the financial tools and where they feel like they are being more involved so that they can get a better understanding of what they are getting into. Paint a picture for the interns that also covers the negative side of the financial adviser position. Some of the other interns distanced themselves because only the positive sides were told, and seemed too good to be true. Make it seem real.

It's a career all about building relationships and helping people. What more could you want?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Set your own schedule (of course you still need to work but you can decide when)
    -The relationships you get to build with your clients are so rewarding
    -Great upward opportunity with a growing company which also means income is unlimited too
    -You can complete control over you career
    -You have license to be creative with your practice and take on any new initiatives you want
    -Exposure to new ideas and support from people all across the company and at all levels

Cons

-It does take hard work; you have to take ownership of your career.
    -It takes a lot of commitment especially in the beginning so the flexibility in schedule can be distracting to some.

I think they do a great job of balancing supervision and independence. A lot of times it's really up to the employee to make sure they are working hard which is how it should be!

Worked for First Investors Corporation? Contribute to the Community!