First Marblehead Reviews

Dan Meyers

1. Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at First Marblehead full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Starting position was System Developer to analyze student loans that do not require inter-department operators to carry piles of mails and documents during their job function and activities action time.

Cons

• Ending position was Manager to design loan approval activities map, functional requirement and human interactions. Accomplishments covered ordering equipment, materials, leading every memorandum on activities, dues, plans during meeting and employee appraisal. • Business product managed are listed as student loan, credit scores, course registration, transcripts, identities, passport, IBM Cobol AS 390, HP Servers, Microsoft SQL Servers, Project Managers, Networking Protocols, EMC InputAccel, Documentum, E-Room, Pega System, and Oracle Data Warehouse. • Customers managed are listed as Federal Reserve Bank, Experian, Equifax, TransUnion, Goldman Sachs,

2. Could be better

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Warwick, RI

I worked at First Marblehead full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility in work hours. Work from home was always approved. Great work life balance. Few very smart folks I had a chance to work with that I am thankful and happy I had the chance to work with.

Cons

I felt cheated at the interview, the position was advertised as a .NET developer and the work turned to be only database development. Had I known at the beginning my backlog will be packed with database development stories I would have pursued a different job. Would have not wasted anyone's time and it would have allowed TMS to find the right candidate. They also seem to hire .NET developers and wish to turn them into Java developers due to lack of development talent in the Rhode Island area. :(

3. Great temporary job.

Pros

Decent pay for no prior experience

Cons

Location and commute could have been better

5. A best of times, the worst of times

Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at First Marblehead full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In good times, plenty of resource and autonomy to fuel growth, smart and fun colleagues, data-driven intelligent decision making

Cons

In bad times, we were unprepared for the cliff of student lending drop off. There was no plan B and many were laid off ... Fast

6. Loved my job!

Former Employee - Multiple in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Multiple in Medford, MA

I worked at First Marblehead full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for First Marblehead for just over 4 years and held a variety of positions. Pros included: -Great people - Decent culture -Great Facilities -Great Pay -Great Benefits -Lots of Opportunity for growth and change -Supportive Management

Cons

Industry troubles forced a change in the board which was ultimately the death knoll for most of us at the company. Misplaced trust in replacement leadership turned what was an awesome place to work into a very unstable place. Having met and worked with the CEO several times and him not even remembering we had met was a huge insult. On the other hand, Dan Meyers the original and current CEO, has a way of making everyone feel important. Sure he is mercurial but he is exciting and if anyone can restore FMC, it is him!

7. good people, bad sr. leadership

I worked at First Marblehead full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good people good training and growth for some positions great benefits

Cons

disconnect between employees/management and lsr. leadership no vision/mission

Advice to Management

might be good to get new sr. leadership to help run the company

8. I wouldnt want to do it again.

Former Employee - Loan Analyst in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Loan Analyst in Medford, MA

I worked at First Marblehead full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the other temps I worked with, nice cafe,

Cons

they take on temps promise them all this work, overtime and the upper manangement takes it for themselves and just smile in your face, not enough work. boring, they seem to like to keep the little people down, dont explain things throughly and to many people trying to train you everyday it was someone different and i understand you should learn different ways, but not in a one week trial. they tell you your doing good and then tell the manager your not, VERY two faced management.

Advice to Management

dont make promises you cant keep,

9. Until they laid everybody off, it was good.

I worked at First Marblehead full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, Flexibility, Good People, Location, Benefits

Cons

Sr Management Grew to fast Poorly handled downsizing

Advice to Management

Watch growth more carefully

10. ok

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

was growing really fast with lots of opportunities

Cons

lack of communication among different departments

11. Bad

Pros

Very friendly environment. Officers usually offer perks if deadllines and expectations are met. There was plenty of over time opportunities.

Cons

Lack of a future for better or for worse. Since the industry of selling student loans is gone, the company has remained stagnant.

Advice to Management

There are no advice for management. They did their best. It was the economy which messed up everthing. They will just have to wait it out.

RSS Feed </> Embed