First Marblehead Reviews

First Marblehead President, CEO, and Director Dan Meyers
Dan Meyers

1. Great temporary job.

I have been working at First Marblehead

Pros

Decent pay for no prior experience

Cons

Location and commute could have been better

2. Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at First Marblehead full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Starting position was System Developer to analyze student loans that do not require inter-department operators to carry piles of mails and documents during their job function and activities action time.

Cons

• Ending position was Manager to design loan approval activities map, functional requirement and human interactions. Accomplishments covered ordering equipment, materials, leading every memorandum on activities, dues, plans during meeting and employee appraisal. • Business product managed are listed as student loan, credit scores, course registration, transcripts, identities, passport, IBM Cobol AS 390, HP Servers, Microsoft SQL Servers, Project Managers, Networking Protocols, EMC InputAccel, Documentum, E-Room, Pega System, and Oracle Data Warehouse. • Customers managed are listed as Federal Reserve Bank, Experian, Equifax, TransUnion, Goldman Sachs,

Buckle in for a wild ride -- great opportunity, but a wild-west atmosphere

Former Employee - VP, Marketing in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - VP, Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at First Marblehead

Pros

Learning opportunities. First Marblehead is ahead of the curve in defning an emerging industry. There are tremendous opportunities to explore, experiment and define success. The caliber of colleagues is simply fantastic. People are tremendously smart and fun to work with. There is a very collegial atmosphere and a terrific social community.

Cons

Industry turbulence. Unfortunately the credit markets and regulatory environment have dealt First Marblehead several body-blows recently. There has been extreme turn-over and massive layoffs this year. The return of the former CEO, Dan Myers may provide a shot in the arm and a return to solid growth. Dan is an unpredictable maverick with an "in crowd" and an "out crowd". He'll clean house, but there may be opportunities for new employees to rebuild FM back to its deserved glory. Its a challenging, dynamic environment that does not place a premium on communication from Sr. Management or standard management practices -- work/life balance, benefits, career development etc. Its kind of the Wild West and Dan is the sherriff. Hope he likes you and buckle in for a wild ride.

Advice to Management

With the rare opportunity for a "do-over" I would recommend hiring beyond your circle of "known buddies" and bringing in some outside talent who can help build infrastructure for scalable success. The last time around, FM's stellar growth took it from infancy to "awkward teenage" years without the opportunity to mindfully create a model for success at a larger scale. Place a premium on communication, allow more of your management team to contribute to success and recognize efforts and contributions.

5. ok

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at First Marblehead

Pros

was growing really fast with lots of opportunities

Cons

lack of communication among different departments

6. Until they laid everybody off, it was good.

I worked at First Marblehead full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, Flexibility, Good People, Location, Benefits

Cons

Sr Management Grew to fast Poorly handled downsizing

Advice to Management

Watch growth more carefully

7. Loved my job!

Former Employee - Multiple in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Multiple in Medford, MA

I worked at First Marblehead full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for First Marblehead for just over 4 years and held a variety of positions. Pros included: -Great people - Decent culture -Great Facilities -Great Pay -Great Benefits -Lots of Opportunity for growth and change -Supportive Management

Cons

Industry troubles forced a change in the board which was ultimately the death knoll for most of us at the company. Misplaced trust in replacement leadership turned what was an awesome place to work into a very unstable place. Having met and worked with the CEO several times and him not even remembering we had met was a huge insult. On the other hand, Dan Meyers the original and current CEO, has a way of making everyone feel important. Sure he is mercurial but he is exciting and if anyone can restore FMC, it is him!

8. A best of times, the worst of times

Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at First Marblehead full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In good times, plenty of resource and autonomy to fuel growth, smart and fun colleagues, data-driven intelligent decision making

Cons

In bad times, we were unprepared for the cliff of student lending drop off. There was no plan B and many were laid off ... Fast

9. Good work culture and a relaxed environment

I worked at First Marblehead

Pros

Relaxed office environment with friendly people. Engaging work and good team dynamics without it being too stressful.

Cons

A bit limiting for promotions. The company has taken a big hit since the recession and there isn't much opportunity for promotion.

10. Could be better

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Warwick, RI

I worked at First Marblehead full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility in work hours. Work from home was always approved. Great work life balance. Few very smart folks I had a chance to work with that I am thankful and happy I had the chance to work with.

Cons

I felt cheated at the interview, the position was advertised as a .NET developer and the work turned to be only database development. Had I known at the beginning my backlog will be packed with database development stories I would have pursued a different job. Would have not wasted anyone's time and it would have allowed TMS to find the right candidate. They also seem to hire .NET developers and wish to turn them into Java developers due to lack of development talent in the Rhode Island area. :(

11. good people, bad sr. leadership

I worked at First Marblehead full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good people good training and growth for some positions great benefits

Cons

disconnect between employees/management and lsr. leadership no vision/mission

Advice to Management

might be good to get new sr. leadership to help run the company

RSS Feed </> Embed